AR15 build - do you absolutely NEED to check headspace?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 22, 2011
    Westminster
    I'm doing an AR build with a new 5.56 barrell/extension (mated at the factory) and a very slightly used upper. I've got it all torqued down by-the-book. It chambers and chucks the action test dummy rounds like a trooper, but I don't have a headspace guage set. It turns out that they are quite scarce right now. I've done some reading about headspacing ARs and have run into a lot of conflicting opinions:

1. You always have to headspace check with go, no go and field guages.
    2. You only need to headspace with the field guage because that is what the TM says.
    3. You don't need to headspace if the barrell and extension were mated at the factory.
    4. You don't need to headspace if you are mating new parts.
    5. You don't need to headspace at all.

My gut says to go with the Army TM, but at the moment of this writing I cannot locate a field guage for sale anywhere. Has anyone ever seen an AR with a headspace issue??

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm doing an AR build with a new 5.56 barrell/extension (mated at the factory) and a very slightly used upper. I've got it all torqued down by-the-book. It chambers and chucks the action test dummy rounds like a trooper, but I don't have a headspace guage set. It turns out that they are quite scarce right now. I've done some reading about headspacing ARs and have run into a lot of conflicting opinions:

1. You always have to headspace check with go, no go and field guages.
    2. You only need to headspace with the field guage because that is what the TM says.
    3. You don't need to headspace if the barrell and extension were mated at the factory.
    4. You don't need to headspace if you are mating new parts.
    5. You don't need to headspace at all.

My gut says to go with the Army TM, but at the moment of this writing I cannot locate a field guage for sale anywhere. Has anyone ever seen an AR with a headspace issue??

A newly assembled firearm should ALWAYS be headspace checked. You don't need all 3 Gauges. You can remove the upper from the lower (So it wont fire)use a live round (remove the extractor) and see if the bolt will close with moderate pressure. If it closes that's a field expedient "go" gauge.

You should have a field gauge which will tell you if the gun has excessive headspace which is extremely bad.

A Gunsmith can check this for you for a nominal fee.

Just because something was factory assembled does not mean its safe or done right. I see AR's fail headspace all of the time, some are brand new.

IMO ALL firearms should be checked periodically if fired moderate-heavy levels, to see if the headspace has opened to unsafe levels. It does happen.

Anytime you replace a Bolt, Slide, or Barrel headspace should also be rechecked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom