• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Some years ago the wife’s grandfather died, and after the estate sale that we weren’t told about, her uncle offered up the leftovers. (Her father died when she was 14, and I’m told granddad was an a$$, at his passing she hadn’t talked to her grandfather in 15 years, to this day her brothers won’t talk to that side of the family)

Of the few things left was a Model 1905 Winchester chambered in “35 Winchester Self Loading”. (aka 35 WSL, 35 SL and 35 SLR, Self Loading Rifle) Came with 20 ancient rounds and about 20 spent casings. Her older brother wound up with it and then when he found out he couldn’t readily buy ammo for it he offered it to me.:D

A good looking rifle in an anemic, obsolete cartridge. Popular with prisons, saw limited military service overseas. Made from 1905 to 1920. Unfortunately this one has mismatched serial numbers, the lower was made in 1905 and the upper in 07.

Basically a .38/.357 class rifle with one of a kind brass, no other rifle was ever chambered for it. Cartridge went out of production in the 1950s.

Found dies in stock at CH4D for $83. (had never heard of them before. Found them in an old forum post called “reloader’s nest”. Never heard of it before either). The only other place I found that listed the dies was by special order at $180. The cartridges can be made from 38 special brass (which I have plenty of) and a little work on a lathe. I found gas checked bullets for $23 per 100 at western bullet co. (180 grain .352 dia. Another oddball) and ammo depot has 180 grain FMJ for $30 per 100. I am researching old loading data on it.

I’m curious if anyone on here has ever loaded for one of these.
    Anybody else have one?
    My loading presses have been collecting dust since kids took priority. I have a Dillon 550 and a Rock Chucker, I figure this will be a fun way to get back into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom