Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

View Poll Results: Thoughts on 40s&w
Love 40 23 22.55%
Hate 40 19 18.63%
Don't give a rats arse about 40 60 58.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th, 2019, 08:14 AM #11

I think 40S&W is a good cartridge, itís more expensive then 9mm but cheaper then 45acp. It still puts holes in paper! Now for your choice of your first handgun, you canít go wrong with the Beretta! I have a 96 and itís one of my favorite handguns! Fit and feel of it in my hand, I just canít beat it with any other handgun yet. Iíve put thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. But it comes down to what YOU want! Good luck and enjoy your first handgun!
Attached Images

Clifjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:16 AM #12

The 40 always seemed to me at least, a solution to a problem that didn't exist. 9mm too small for "man stopping" an attacker, 45 too much recoil for women/smaller men's hands? I try to stick to calibers used by military or available as surplus.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:16 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz_man View Post
Better yet, hit a local range where you can try some different ones and see what works best for you.
always the best advice, try 'em all and then buy what you like best (model, and caliber).

9mm will give you more capacity, cheaper ammo, and with good defensive loads you're not giving up much to other calibers.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:20 AM #14
Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz_man View Post
Well, that's not what he asked, was it? He asked for an opinion on .40, not for an opinion on MD gun laws. JFC.

.40 has been gaining ground in competition shooting because of its magazine capacity and power-factor but, steadily falling-out of favor as a defensive round with LE agencies and civilians who are switching back to either 9mm or .45 ACP.

If you like Berettas, maybe go with a 92 instead of a 96? Better yet, hit a local range where you can try some different ones and see what works best for you. Congratulations!
Yeah i guess you are correct ,

My opinion is .40 is a fine gun to carry & shoot , i carried a M&P .40 for multiple years and i always renew my permit with my .40 .
But now i carry a .45 daily .
welder516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:24 AM #15

The Beretta 92/96 is a large frame pistol meant more for open holster than concealed.

So why the Berretta as your first choice? What else have you shot? Why are you carrying and what situations or SD senarios do you expect to encounter? You have to train for the real world.

As for .40, thatís your choice but for a CCW chambering but I always recommend carrying what your local LEOs are issued as your starting point. As mentioned, most agencies are migrating back to 9mm from .40 thanks to improvement in JHP designs. As you gain experience in your shooting and CCW, you can experiment later with heavier calibers like 40 and 45 ACP. Golfers donít carry 1 club or ball so neither should a shootist.

We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us! Pike Bishop

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:35 AM #16

Harford County deputy I was talking with recently carries 40 on duty but prefers 9mm off duty. Said he'd rather have a few more rounds in the magazine. Also comes down to what you've trained with/had more time behind. Regardless, a well aimed shot from most calibers gets the job done.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:35 AM #17

It all depends on what you like. Given the variety of options out there and the age of the design Iíd ask why the 96? I love my 92, but it wasnít and wouldnít be my first choice.

The big advantage to 40 S&W these days is the availability of cheap police trade ins.
MSI Sustaining Member
SOTAR Alumni
Anotherpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:38 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ryder View Post
I like the 40, I like the 45 better. I like the price of 9mm ammo. Have you fired a 40? Some complain about the snappy recoil. Shoot all three before you decide.
Or buy all three, shoot all three, then decide. And it's likely you'll want a couple of 22s for affordable plinking, and a Walther in 380ACP because it doesn't print under your tuxedo jacket.
MigraineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:08 AM #19
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Where are you in skill development and how often are you going to be able to make it to the range. Along with that, is ammunition cost going to be a prohibiting factor in range time or is it just going to be trying to fit in range time/training to your life that is the prohibiting factor? 9, 40, & 45 are close enough in terminal performance that any of them are okayish enough for defense use. For someone starting off, 9mm is cheaper with less recoil, so it can give you more time at the range before you're stopped by your wallet and/or hand fatigue. You also get a benefit of capacity, so you're not stopping to reload mags as often(especially if you just bring pre-loaded mags with you to save range-time).

After the first purchase of a defensive pistol(so you have one), I'd see how quickly I could pickup a .22lr pistol in a similar configuration for training. The m&p and m&p-22 options are cool for this reason. You have a pretty identical .22 to the 9mm/40 that you can get a lot of trigger time with for very little cost. You can also pickup a m&p airsoft and CO2 bb gun for more training at-home. The airsoft version even allows you to run through home-defense scenarios with some force-on-force stuff to iron out your plans/responses. A common firearm like a glock or m&p also opens up a world of holster options for you that some less common guns won't have.

Look at picking up a police trade-in(especially if you decide on .40....and especially w/ glock). They typically have very little mechanical wear on parts, even if they have cosmetic wear on the outside from being carried. It's a solid way to pickup a gun in good shape w/ tritium sights on the cheap. Congrats on your intro into handgunnery.

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:22 AM #20
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
The Beretta 92/96 is a large frame pistol meant more for open holster than concealed.

So why the Berretta as your first choice? What else have you shot? Why are you carrying and what situations or SD senarios do you expect to encounter? You have to train for the real world.

As for .40, thatís your choice but for a CCW chambering but I always recommend carrying what your local LEOs are issued as your starting point. As mentioned, most agencies are migrating back to 9mm from .40 thanks to improvement in JHP designs. As you gain experience in your shooting and CCW, you can experiment later with heavier calibers like 40 and 45 ACP. Golfers donít carry 1 club or ball so neither should a shootist.
CCW in maryland? Say what??? You've been smoking some glass, when you are sober re-read the OP. HQL is for mere purchase, not CCW.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns

Tags
40s&w, beretta, handgun, hql