Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old March 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Qbeam

Wait, says something sucks, unless you are trained on the M4, then doesn't give a replacement option..... yeah, ok. I'll sift through more data, thanks.

Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Occam
Recovering Lurker

Let me guess. I have to subscribe to his service to find out what he suggests I prep with instead? I'm guessing it's a Kel-Tec Sub2K.

Disclaimer: I'm allowed to make that joke because I own one. Folds up into my ruggedly handsome flannel prepper shirt pocket.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Doctor_M
Certified Mad Scientist

Well, I guess that it is a good thing that all of mine are at the bottom of the bay
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:01 PM   #14
omegared24

The guy is a joke. He can bring his option and I'll bring my SOTAR built rifle and we'll have a durability competition.
omegared24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:11 PM   #15
fbi_surveillance_van

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
I see he cites General Scales, refers to the surveys where troops get to bitch about stuff (the grass is always greener), and claims the RAT tourniquet is better than CAT. That's at least three strikes in my book. I am sure I can find more.

The truth is that any rifle that gets run hard in combat is going to experience occasional stoppages. I'd rather have a rifle that I can easily repair on my own if it malfunctions or even breaks. I don't really do much in the way of prepper stuff, but it seems to me that anyone doing it would be well served by using an AR15 just for the sheer availability of replacement parts and magazines in the U.S.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:43 PM   #16
holesonpaper

We should send a memo - back to bows and arrows.
holesonpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Doctor_M
Certified Mad Scientist

I'm going to be "that guy" and say it. A rifle... any rifle... is a tool. And there is no single tool that can be used for every job. A hammer is good to have, but I can't tighten a tailpipe clamp with it. All in all, the AR platform is a pretty good tool (I might even say, Swiss Army knife type versatility), but the fantasy that one gun will be the end all and be all of any prepper type situation, is just silly.

Have a couple of hammers, many screwdrivers, some good saws... and a variety of different quality firearms that meet specific needs and scenarios. /logic.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #18
benton0311

I was at an overseas location once where we frequently interfaced with an ODA. This was years ago when the SCAR was first issued to SOCOM for T&E. I noticed the team had a mix of M4s and SCAR-Ls (this was when both the L and H were being evaluated) and asked one of the 18Bs about how the SCARs were working out for them. He said it was a fine rifle, no issues, but it really didn't do anything the M4 didn't do and about half the team still carried their M4s.
benton0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:04 PM   #19
vetogunban

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedash View Post
Is the tactical chicken compatible with other firearms? That's probably obsolete now too.
Is it legal in MD to attach a tactical chicken to your AR? If so, where can I get one? There is an intimidation factor in seeing someone charge you with a chicken on your rifle.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
vetogunban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 04:05 PM   #20
Cornelius
Trust Me, I Sell Cars

The Dude makes a few decent points when you keep in mind the "prepper" qualifier. Much like the 1911 in "Combat". Is the needs of the prepper the same as the needs of a soldier? Do you need reliability and low maintenance as a prepper or the potential for slinging lead the fastest? The biggest issue is how one defines the needs of the prepper. I usually understand it to be light and low-maintenance with versatile and readily scavenged ammo.

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle