Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 29th, 2018, 09:59 AM #31

Barnett 4x32. I haven’t tested it much at the longer range hash marks. Why I need to get it back to the range this weekend for some more testing. At 19yds it was spot on and about 1.5” high at 26yds.

But since I was in the middle of one of the ranges and at the start of the other I figured that was good.

But I want to check the 35 and 42yd hashes to see where the bolts are “falling”

I suspect I can get it adjusted with the velocity it has (320fps claimed) and hash distances to get it so it is really a 20yd, 30yd, 40yd, 45yd and 50yd hashes. At least and be minute of pie plate at all of those distances and hashes.

With the arrows I am using and off hand kneeling it is accurate to within an inch at 26yrds. I am actually a little worried one of these times I’ll split/hit a bolt with another one.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 01:58 PM #32

Okay, I got it back to the archery range today. It is dead on at 20, 30, 40 and 50yds with one more hashmark to go. Maybe 60? I am not comfortable shooting that far. Beyond rainbow curve, at 320fps claimed I am not comfortable giving a deer that much time to react to the shot and move before the bolt gets there.

I am very comfortable sighing 40yds and okay with the right shot out to 50yds. So yay!

When I did my part and known ranges with lining up on the bull at the appropriate hashmarks it was holding under a 3” group at 50yds and it was all windage. The elevation was within half an inch on every bolt (I shot 9 at 50yds, though 3x3 groups as I only have the 3 arrows of the same type). I am very impressed by the crossbow. Accuracy problems are completely on me. I was shooting sitting off hand. Kneeling off hand my groups are more like 3” at 40yds. Standing off hand it is more like 4” at 30yds. Darn thing is just really front heavy.

From my stand I should be able to keep those groups small.

Less than a week!

Time to go scout my stand location.
Old September 4th, 2018, 11:32 AM #33

Lazarus - I wouldn't worry about that 60 mark. I know you're a careful hunter and will never want to take a low percentage shot. Where we hunt, most shots are under 40 yards anyway.

I'm thinking about getting out for the opener but not at my usual location. All of the rain has made the mosquitoes absolutely unbearable there. I went to check it out on Sunday and I had a swarm on my face the moment I opened the truck door. I might wait a week to give the weather a chance to cool down. Sitting in 95 degree weather with mosquitoes on my face is not appealing this year.

Side note: if any of you go out this weekend and have trouble finding your deer, PM me. If it's within a reasonable drive and you think you got a good hit, I'll come with my tracking dog. I can make it to anywhere in MoCo, HoCo, Frederick, PG, St. Mary's, maybe Baltimore depending on how far and the time of day you call. I want to get my dog plenty of experience and also want to help make sure no deer go to waste, so don't feel guilty calling on me. I want to do it if I can make it out.
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:56 PM #34

Its going to be wayyy too hot for me this weekend. My stand isn't even up yet. I'm thinking of just sitting out til morning weather at least requires long sleeves.
gwchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:06 PM #35

Gonna try to get out there Friday morning since I'll be out of town after that. It's going to be warm for sure but as long as the rain holds out I'll be out there!
Neot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:57 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neot View Post
Gonna try to get out there Friday morning since I'll be out of town after that. It's going to be warm for sure but as long as the rain holds out I'll be out there!
That’s my thinking. But it depends on how humid it is. My spot means close to a half my hike including about 100ft up a very steep hill. After that I am down and out till the next weekend. If I am lucky, but I think my wife wants us to go camping that weekend or something. Or maybe that is the weekend after.

I might be able to take an afternoon or two on days I work from home, take a few hours off and get out there after lunch. But not next week. To much “the kids are back in school” crap that needs doing the thas been out off the last 11 weeks.

On the marginal shots...I wouldn’t intentionally take one, but the spot in Potapsco I really like of the 6 sits I had last year 5 of the times I saw deer. One big spike I harvested and 4 that we’re out of range of my crossbow, but would have been easy shots with a muzzleloader. Valley isn’t super wide, but maybe 60yds of visibility on the one side and 100yds on the other from the tree I was putting my stand. About 5 deer trails run through that section.

So that means a lot of deer, but a fair number that end up being just out of reach.
Old September 6th, 2018, 01:57 PM #37

I’ve figured out my stand location for tomorrow. Same place I put it for last year’s opener where I got one. Except this time I am hunting only the morning instead of only the evening.

Fingers crossed.

Damn it is hot out. If it looks like it’ll probably rain I am out. Otherwise I’ll try to hunt till 9:30am, then pack it up, go home changes and head to work.
Old September 6th, 2018, 02:30 PM #38

Good luck tomorrow to everybody who's out!
akalma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 02:32 PM #39

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Okay, I got it back to the archery range today. It is dead on at 20, 30, 40 and 50yds with one more hashmark to go. Maybe 60? I am not comfortable shooting that far. Beyond rainbow curve, at 320fps claimed I am not comfortable giving a deer that much time to react to the shot and move before the bolt gets there.

I am very comfortable sighing 40yds and okay with the right shot out to 50yds. So yay!

When I did my part and known ranges with lining up on the bull at the appropriate hashmarks it was holding under a 3 group at 50yds and it was all windage. The elevation was within half an inch on every bolt (I shot 9 at 50yds, though 3x3 groups as I only have the 3 arrows of the same type). I am very impressed by the crossbow. Accuracy problems are completely on me. I was shooting sitting off hand. Kneeling off hand my groups are more like 3 at 40yds. Standing off hand it is more like 4 at 30yds. Darn thing is just really front heavy.

From my stand I should be able to keep those groups small.

Less than a week!

Time to go scout my stand location.
Its not bad shooting at a target at 60yds its good practice to make the shorter range shots super easy! but as far as shooting a deer that far I prob wouldnt take that shot. Not that my arrow couldnt reach it, I just dont want to risk wounding a deer. 40 and under is best for me.

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 05:46 PM #40

I always have this paralyzing indecision that where I am going to hang my stand is t as good as the place 5 trees over. Or what about the one over there? Or over there? Archery makes it worse due to the shorter range and inability to shoot in to any kind of cover.

I do the same thing with muzzleloader and even rifle, but so much less.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports