Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 14th, 2019, 09:47 PM #11

I wonder how many times that blade has been used for seppuku.
Worgenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:45 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by somd_mustangs View Post
Very nice!
It's amazing things like this survived.
It really is amazing, and what’s interesting is that so many survived (and a lot are much older than mine). Since these “heirloom” blades were so important to the Japanese and their culture, they took great care of them and ensured they were passed down through the generations.

At the end of WWII many of them came back as souvenirs and our troops often had no clue as to how old and important the blades were. I’m sure there are many ancient blades still out there in closets and attics collecting dust. When I told my coworker how old this tanto was he was shocked, and said he thought it was made during WWII or even post war for tourists.

In the course of my research I came across this recent thread on the Nihonto Message Boards, it’s a long read but a really neat example of someone having an “old sword” WWII bringback they inherited which turned out to be extremely old, very rare, and valuable (tens of thousands of dollars).

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...-sword/page-1#

Last edited by KH195; June 19th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
KH195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 11:10 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worgenski View Post
I wonder how many times that blade has been used for seppuku.
Probably none!

Most of these old blades survived were made for dedications and ceremonies and not actually used
solarpower44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 01:11 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH195 View Post
In the course of my research I came across this recent thread on the Nihonto Message Boards, it’s a long read but a really neat example of someone having an “old sword” WWII bringback they inherited which turned out to be extremely old, very rare, and valuable (tens of thousands of dollars).

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...-sword/page-1#
Thanks I read the entire thing
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 10:58 AM #15

Quote:
I picked this up from a coworker several weeks back
Quote:
When I told my coworker how old this tanto was he was shocked

....someone having an “old sword” WWII bringback they inherited which turned out to be extremely old, very rare, and valuable (tens of thousands of dollars).
When I read your last post about telling the co-worker, I cringed, because he probably immediately thought about the bolded part. I don't know what you paid for the knife, but I'm sure he correlated "600 years old" and "high value" right away. I hope he doesn't ask for it back.

Either way, cool stuff!

Did the Japanese blade get repairs done on the tip? One of the pictures looks like the tip had a different hue, indicating it had been repaired/replaced
Old June 19th, 2019, 05:56 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
When I read your last post about telling the co-worker, I cringed, because he probably immediately thought about the bolded part. I don't know what you paid for the knife, but I'm sure he correlated "600 years old" and "high value" right away. I hope he doesn't ask for it back.

Either way, cool stuff!

Did the Japanese blade get repairs done on the tip? One of the pictures looks like the tip had a different hue, indicating it had been repaired/replaced
Thankfully he didn’t seem all that interested in the value, and from what I know about him I don’t think he’d be one to ask for it back....I think he realizes he did zero research on it and had no interest...plus the polish came in at $1,200 (top tier US polishers charge in the area of $100 per inch for a traditional polish) so I don’t think there’s any chance he’d ever want to “buy it back” given he didn’t have much interest in it in the first place.

No repairs to the tip, what you’re seeing in the pic is the result of the polish where the burnishing style changes on the top edge (mune) of the blade near the tip. Others may know more but I believe some polishers end the mirror-like burnishing short of the tip to prevent damage as it is more fragile.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:30 PM #17
Hairy Flaccid Member

Location: Holding the line South of Gettysburg in 2A-friendly Carroll County, USA.
Hairy Flaccid Member

Location: Holding the line South of Gettysburg in 2A-friendly Carroll County, USA.
Quote:
No repairs to the tip, what you’re seeing in the pic is the result of the polish where the burnishing style changes on the top edge (mune) of the blade near the tip. Others may know more but I believe some polishers end the mirror-like burnishing short of the tip to prevent damage as it is more fragile.
It is traditionally done that way to define the kissaki or tip portion of nihonto even on hira zukuri blades like that one that lack a truly geometric yokote. Besides the aesthetic, it is also said to alert by well-practiced feel the one drawing it blindly(w/o looking...not Zatoichi-style) that the tip is about to come out of the saya so beware and don't accidentally cut your damned self. Such blades are intended to be drawn, sheathed and displayed mune-down/ha-up to protect the precious edge from repetitive dulling damage, internal saya slicing and with particularly foul draw, palm bisection or digit loss.

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

-Thucydides in The History of the Peloponnesian War
llkoolkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:28 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkoolkeg View Post
It is traditionally done that way to define the kissaki or tip portion of nihonto even on hira zukuri blades like that one that lack a truly geometric yokote. Besides the aesthetic, it is also said to alert by well-practiced feel the one drawing it blindly(w/o looking...not Zatoichi-style) that the tip is about to come out of the saya so beware and don't accidentally cut your damned self. Such blades are intended to be drawn, sheathed and displayed mune-down/ha-up to protect the precious edge from repetitive dulling damage, internal saya slicing and with particularly foul draw, palm bisection or digit loss.
Thank you! That explains it quite a bit better than I could!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:28 PM #19

Yes but how well does it cut steak?
Alan3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2019, 09:45 AM #20
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

That's a nice piece!!! so jealous
Yme is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons