Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 15th, 2019, 10:25 AM #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncfolife View Post
Most violence is a result of poor economic areas. People don't go around doing crimes if they are employed and able to provide for themselves.
I've lived and traveled significantly in many of the poorest parts of the world, most where I had no fear of violent crime befalling me. China, India, Egypt, Indonesia, wherever. All very poor places, all pretty safe. Other similarly poor areas were very risky. Kenya, DRC, Mexico and others tend to be higher risk.

In my opinion violent crime is fundamentally an ethical issue, not a material issue.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:01 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncfolife View Post
Most violence is a result of poor economic areas. People don't go around doing crimes if they are employed and able to provide for themselves.
No. I'll go with the data and the data says no. There are PLENTY of jurisdictions with equal presence or absence of poverty with widely disparate violent crime rates. so too within a given jurisdiction with a relative steady poverty rate violent crime can vary a LOT,

It is a factor, but so to is sentencing lenience on crime. The more felons and repeat violent criminal let out onto the street after shorter time served the more violent crime.

Study after study shows that violent crime is committed by a TINY cohort of repeat criminals. so poverty in general is not the issue since the vast majority of people who are under the poverty line never commit a violent crime/ It is whether that cohort is in prison or on the streets at a given time and place that is the clearest correlation (and obviously causative).

In Baltimore over 80% of homicide perps -- and over 90% of homicide victims -- have felony or ten or more arrest histories. the majority of of poor Baltimore residents do NOT have that kind of arrest history. It is a small specific cohort committing these crimes.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:06 PM #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
China, India, Egypt, Indonesia, wherever. All very poor places, all pretty safe. Other similarly poor areas were very risky. Kenya, DRC, Mexico and others tend to be higher risk
Now, I wonder what it is that makes one group of countries different from the other.
Steve_Zissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:14 PM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Study after study shows that violent crime is committed by a TINY cohort of repeat criminals. so poverty in general is not the issue since the vast majority of people who are under the poverty line never commit a violent crime/ It is whether that cohort is in prison or on the streets at a given time and place that is the clearest correlation (and obviously causative).

In Baltimore over 80% of homicide perps -- and over 90% of homicide victims -- have felony or ten or more arrest histories. the majority of of poor Baltimore residents do NOT have that kind of arrest history. It is a small specific cohort committing these crimes.
Violent crime in particular is also highly correlated with low IQ (or whatever your general intelligence metric of choice happens to be), and the median intellect of a particular area will be a major determinant of just how frequently new violent offenders will emerge from its local population. It's partially about making sure that violent offenders get out away and stay there, but even with good enforcement, different areas will still have different levels of violent crime related directly to the average intellects of the people living there and the kids that they produce.
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:40 PM #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Zissou View Post
Violent crime in particular is also highly correlated with low IQ (or whatever your general intelligence metric of choice happens to be), and the median intellect of a particular area will be a major determinant of just how frequently new violent offenders will emerge from its local population. It's partially about making sure that violent offenders get out away and stay there, but even with good enforcement, different areas will still have different levels of violent crime related directly to the average intellects of the people living there and the kids that they produce.
Sounds like you'd support a return to eugenics, forced sterilisation, literacy tests for voters and all that sort of thing.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 05:03 PM #66
Watch your beer

Watch your beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Zissou View Post
I feel like your reading outdated text books that still say we can predict criminality via physical attributes.

The truth is there are a lot of really smart drug dealers out there.

Id say most murder/robbery i see is opportunistic but seriously the drug trade has some folks that had they applied themselves to a different product could be very rich.
Old June 18th, 2019, 05:20 PM #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Sounds like you'd support a return to eugenics, forced sterilisation, literacy tests for voters and all that sort of thing.
Nah, it's more about understanding that in an intellectually diverse society you're inevitably going to have more violent criminality than you would see among, say, one comprised solely of native Danes or the Japanese, and that the varied degrees of antisocial behavior within different populations is probably heritable in origin, meaning that the disparities will likely persist to a certain degree despite considerable social interventions meant to minimize them.

Eugenics and literacy tests only make sense if you derive the inherent worth of a person off of how intelligent or unintelligent they are. That said, there probably IS a discussion to be had about who should or shouldn't vote, based on their general intelligence, but its no different from how we don't let 6 year olds or the intellectually handicapped vote, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StantonCree View Post
I feel like your reading outdated text books that still say we can predict criminality via physical attributes.
Only if you consider Robert Plomin, Steven Pinker, or David Reich's latest writings to be "outdated".
Old June 18th, 2019, 06:20 PM #68

Highly intelligent , highly organized ( their thought processes , not OC affiliation ) criminals do exist , but are outliers . Kind of like 7 foot tall humans exist .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 09:48 AM #69
Watch your beer

Watch your beer

Well up to 74 now (1 more than last year at this date)

But more importantly DC Council Member Jack Evans house is currently being raided by the FBI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ack-evans-home
Old June 21st, 2019, 11:35 AM #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by StantonCree View Post
Well up to 74 now (1 more than last year at this date)

But more importantly DC Council Member Jack Evans house is currently being raided by the FBI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ack-evans-home
"for allegedly mixing personal business dealings with his official position..."

Totally unsurprising from the guy that uses the 'Council Member' tags as an out to constantly park in crosswalk, intersections, and handicap spaces. I hope they throw the book at him.
swamplynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.