Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old November 5th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #11
dist1646

I had a primer come out of the case and somehow it wedged between the BCG and the upper receiver. The BGC was stuck part way open. Of course, it had to happen at Perry during the P100 300yd rapid stage! One of the military team armorers came over to check my malfunction. He tried the forward assist along with everything else one would normally try. He ended up having to disassemble the entire butt assembly, including the tube and had to use multiple hard whacks with a mallet to get the BGC to move in order to clear the spent primer. It was really locked up tight! This is the only time I have ever seen a primer get wedged in that place. It only took one round out of that lot of ammo with a loose primer pocket to completely lock up the gun. If you wonder why military ammo has crimped primers, this type of malfunction is one of the reasons.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #12
clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
I had a primer come out of the case and somehow it wedged between the BCG and the upper receiver. The BGC was stuck part way open. Of course, it had to happen at Perry during the P100 300yd rapid stage! One of the military team armorers came over to check my malfunction. He tried the forward assist along with everything else one would normally try. He ended up having to disassemble the entire butt assembly, including the tube and had to use multiple hard whacks with a mallet to get the BGC to move in order to clear the spent primer. It was really locked up tight! This is the only time I have ever seen a primer get wedged in that place. It only took one round out of that lot of ammo with a loose primer pocket to completely lock up the gun. If you wonder why military ammo has crimped primers, this type of malfunction is one of the reasons.
Im glad you shared that experience. Those who have not seen that happen think its not possible.

Your experience is why I think the F.A. is important on an AR. I have seen that problem more times than I can count. If Im at the range, I have a hard mallet in my range bag to beat a gun into compliance. I use it for more than AR's too. M1A's, Garands, and FAL's seem to enjoy getting beat too.

If I dont have access to something like a soft mallet, Ill just beat the F.A. against something hard to force the bolt into battery so I can seat the BCG enough get the upper off. I then have to do beat the charging handle on something to extract the BCG so the primer will drop out.

In rare cases the primer will find its way into the Gas/Carrier Key and shut the gun down to a single shot.

Popped primers are something I see often. The main issues are suppressor use and those who shoot 5.56 in barrels that dont have true 5.56 throats. Both of these things can cause even crimped primers pop out a jam up a gun.

If companies would actually put 5.56 throats in barrels marked 5.56, most of the instances I have obersved this issue with would never have happened.

School of the American Rifle Website

School of the American Rifle on Instagram
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle