• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    My wife does not like the smell of Shooter's Choice gun cleaner. In fact, she hates it and this is causing me no small amount trouble. How am I supposed to practice dry firing at the TV when my wife can't stand the smell of my gun cleaner? It does linger long after the cleaning, I'll agree to that with her. Is there a more fragrant cleaner? Maybe something with a hint of pot pourri and yet still manly enough to feel comfortable at the range?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Avoid Ballistol... unless you(or you wife) like the smell of ass and feet...:o
    Great product though...:thumbsup:

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I used either Slip 2000 degreaser/cleaner or another water soluble cleaner. There are a few good ones on the market. You can mix one up with water and Simple Green too... they have no smell, clean up nicely and don't cause cancer. I switched over years ago, thought I would hate it but now its all I use.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Shouldn't she be in the kitchen making you a sandwich?

My wife feels the same way about hoppes #9. I love the smell she can't stand it!

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    proshot 1 step. smells like oranges and gets the job done. citrus and soy, non-hazardous! my new go to cleaner.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Careful with Simple Green.

From the Simple Gree web site:

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom