• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's too long. My last Colt was a Delta Elite. Someone local was selling a nice, blued Trooper MK III so I snagged it. According to Colt's website, it was made in 1976. It has the original wood grips, the heavy top rib on the barrel, adjustable sights, and is in Royal Blue. Double action is as smooth as glass and single action is very light. There is some holster wear. The last owner says he put 100 rounds through her. I put six rounds of magnum 154gr JSP and she shoots to sights. I think the original target grips did not help recoil management :lol: I then ran 36 rounds of 130grFMJ .38 Special rounds through and recoil was a lot more manageable. I shot all rounds double-action at 10 yards. I kept the rounds inside 4". I could have done better but I haven't shot double-action since I sold my GP100. Anyway, while I was leaving the range, I picked up two speed loaders. With the stock Colt stocks, they functioned correctly. So far I'm pretty happy with this revolver. It's not a Python, but it shoots just fine. I'll post up pics tomorrow.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That's a good choice and you'll never lose money on it. Those double actions will never be made again. Maybe one day Colt will make another double action revolver but it won't be the same kind. Far too expensive to build.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While I admittedly don't care for Colt DA triggers, the Mk III was a decent gun, that never got the respect it deserved.

Similar to pushfeed M70 and M1200 , they were bashed for what they weren't instead of evaluated for what they were in their own right.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Man, if only I could turn back the clock for just one day, and wind up at a 70's revolver display case. What a shopping spree that would be!

You and me both. I should have snagged a Python or two back in the 80s. I could never get the scratch up for one and now they're way out of my price range :sad20: While I doubt it was used in law enforcement, I'm curious about where it was originally sent. I might have mail Colt for a letter on it.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I had several Colts back in the day I regret selling. I had a Trooper MK III 8" that I bought '82 and sold in '85. Also had a Lawman in 2" I bought in '82 and sold since then. Don't know why, except that I needed the money to buy something else I have probably sold since then.
    My biggest Colt mistake was selling an Officer's Model 1911.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not the greatest photographer in the world.

Attachments

• colt1.jpg
      colt1.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 86
    • colt2.jpg
      colt2.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members