• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    I’m currently running a Freedom Ordinance FX-9 with a upgraded magwell, strikefire ii for main optic and tomorrow mounting a HS507c as my offset optic. I bought this gun without realizing how proprietary it is so I’m eyeing my next purchase. I told myself if I can classify higher than C I’ll buy a new PCC. Currently I’m looking at the GMR-15, MBX Pro PCC, or the Sig MPX. I currently am glock heavy so I enjoy running my glock mags/mbx extension setup. Hoping to carry those over since new mags in marylandistan are an issue. Help from experienced PCC guys would be appreciated as I’m relatively new but I know the hassles off tuning a home built 9mm can suck. So out of the box is my hope and I’m leaning towards the MBX with hiperfire trigger.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    If you are invested in Glock mags avoid the MPX since it uses proprietary magazines. Sig says both the Gen1 and Gen2 mags will work in the Gen2 models but everything I find online says it’s hit or miss with them. Gen2 mags can be hard to find compared to the Gen1 mags, at least from my research when considering one.

Can’t offer any suggestions on what to get since I’ve gone the home-built route since most PCCs either had propriety mags, were above what I was willing to spend, or just didn’t appeal to me.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Both the JP or MBX will serve you well. For some they are front heavy but both vendors offer lighter weight barrels to balance them out better. Both are very reliable and customizable. I bought the MBX because I liked the internal magwell adjustable screws (align mags), their recoil management system and value for the price.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The top-end choices:
    Sig MPX PCC
    CMMG Resolute 300 9mm (Glock mags / RDB)

The JP and the MBX are both good choices, but don't really compare to a properly outfitted delayed blowback gun.

In addition, Taccom makes a retrofit delayed blowback system for "normal" AR-9s that will be somewhat helpful in cutting back weight, speeding up the action, and reducing sight movement.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    go over to brianenos.com (competitive shooting forum) they have a pcc forum and this is a current/recent topic.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There isn't much that can hang with a MPX PCC, good layout, and by far the lightest recoil, but proprietary mags, and lacks some of the things like mag extensions that Glock mag based PCCs have. A well tuned blowback PCC can be reliable and soft shooting if you have a specific light load to use, I run a standard M4 spring and can get away with a 5.5oz buffer using my 130-ish PF handloads(130PF out of a 5"), it runs them 100%, but won't run most commercial ammo well, or produces a drastic increase in recoil. Thing is it takes a little work and a few component swaps to get it just right, although you can get close with good assembled PCCs vs building from stripped receivers, you can still benefit from some tuning to your match load

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Lead Star Arms puts out a very good PCC. But they are often delayed as they are very busy from what I understand. Personally, after having successfully built 4 or 5 ARs, a PCC 9 was not an issue. During the journey I found out what not to buy a couple of times but my guns tend to evolve over time so they tend to be journeys and not destinations.

Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    Both the JP or MBX will serve you well. For some they are front heavy but both vendors offer lighter weight barrels to balance them out better. Both are very reliable and customizable. I bought the MBX because I liked the internal magwell adjustable screws (align mags), their recoil management system and value for the price.

Anything You dont like on the MBX? This is going to be my main match gun so Im trying to price out the gun and the necessary changes and accessories.

Thanks for the advice everyone and Im currently over on brianenos now reading

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    I like the Rise Armament trigger over the POF option. Get their lightest profile barrel. I changed out the stock but that's just personal preference. Unless it's a preference, you can skip the bolt hold open feature on a competition PCC. Their bolt is very good as is there recoil setup. Charging handle is again a preference. The stock version is fine.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For under $1100, I have a pimped out Ruger PCC, with Taccom goodies and Eotech. It takes Glock mags. I'm currently a B shooter with PCC in USPSA and Steel Challenge with this gun.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not sure how much mine costs. If I calculate on how it is equipped now its about the same about $1100. A lot of Taccom parts, Odin Works Zulu 2.0 stock, Faxon BCG, Hypertech 24C trigger. Because I concentrate on it I am an M class shooter in Steel Challenge. In fact I shot that in its first SC match but its not that big a deal as it is shot exactly the same as my Rimfire Rifle Open which was already an M rating.

Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    Not sure how much mine costs. If I calculate on how it is equipped now its about the same about $1100. A lot of Taccom parts, Odin Works Zulu 2.0 stock, Faxon BCG, Hypertech 24C trigger. Because I concentrate on it I am an M class shooter in Steel Challenge. In fact I shot that in its first SC match but its not that big a deal as it is shot exactly the same as my Rimfire Rifle Open which was already an M rating.

Wait, you were in my squad last USPSA match at sanners. That was a Taccom upper? I’m tempted to build as well but I’m worried about it not running as well as let’s say the JP or MBX rifle.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m using a CZ micro with the 30-round Magpul mags. That way I don’t have to change! Though it’s plenty quick when the time comes.

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    I went with the JP GMR-15. I am not to want to tweak things, don't want to experiment, just want it to go bang every time. I'm about 4500 rounds through the GMR with no malfunctions. I have the Silent short stroke captured spring, 14.5 welded comp SS barrel, flat trigger, etc. Unbelievably soft shooter. Quality through and through. And a price to match - worth every penny. I have a Holosun 510C on it, shoot mostly steel challenge, some USPSA style matches. Buy once, cry once.
    Good luck.
    Phil

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    "The JP and the MBX are both good choices, but don't really compare to a properly outfitted delayed blowback gun."

When researching, I thought that also - the delayed and radial blowback designs guns seem better a better design but after seeing and reading about them having reliability issues, I went with the JP. I don't own one but shoot with a guy who has one (CMMG), we compared and both thought mine was a softer shooter, less dot bounce. CMMG is cheaper though. Buy once cry once.

Phil

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    "The JP and the MBX are both good choices, but don't really compare to a properly outfitted delayed blowback gun."

When researching, I thought that also - the delayed and radial blowback designs guns seem better a better design but after seeing and reading about them having reliability issues, I went with the JP. I don't own one but shoot with a guy who has one (CMMG), we compared and both thought mine was a softer shooter, less dot bounce. CMMG is cheaper though. Buy once cry once.

Phil
    I like my CMMG RDB. MUCH better than my Colt. Better than the MPX I’ve shot. Spent a little time tuning, but love it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One thing you need to understand is most pros don't use the same exact PCC for both USPSA and Steel Challenge. They tend to like heavy guns for USPSA because the main requirement is double tap speed, plus if you have to shoot out to 200y in a multi-gun match its much easier to confidently hit those long shoots off hand if needed. That means the less the gun recoils the easier the gun stays on target and the faster the follow up shot is. Heck I know run and shoot pros that use 9 lb PCCs for USPSA and multi-gun. Way too heavy for a 72yo like me. Heck my 3-gun AR is only 7#.But they put the weight no farther forward than the front of the magwell. There are actually companies making and selling weights for this that can be mounted on the base of the handguard. You would think that with the speed of Steel Challenge you want the same things, but no. Since its all one shot per target transition speed is most important. Many use a shrouded short barrel with an alloy sleeve to make it effectively 16" long. Me included. Low weight with it concentrated near the stock helps speed the transitions. Works for outlaw steel matches also if the range is 50y and under. It means for my Glock pistols and my PCC for Steel Challenge I can load the same ammo for everything since all the barrels are 5-5.5 inches long. Doesn't need a comp on the barrel either. However to save cost I just substitute a different upper a little heavier with a full length barrel under the alloy shroud and a comp on the end. Same buffer works for both setups, the Taccom 3-stage short stroke. My buddy has both a JP and a custom Lead Star while I get by on 2 different uppers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom