• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    An SMLE No. 1 MK III was the first "military" rifle I'd ever fired. I bought it years and years ago. And 303 British was the first cartridge I learned to reload. That was only the beginning. To better understand my rifle I learned as much about Lee Enfields as I could. Of course, one thing led to another... :innocent0

Over the years I've added other Enfields to my collection. My No. 4 MK 2 was an unissued "mummy wrapped" relic. It's a tack driver I picked up in the early '90's. Restoring a Bubba'd 1912 No.1 was a great project. Adding an Ishapore 2A1 to the collection was a no-brainer. Still, there was a hole I'd always wanted to fill that eluded me for a long time: A No. 5 Jungle Carbine.

The wait is over! Tonight I've been cleaning an original No.5 from 12/45 that has found its new forever home. It needs some work as you'd expect for a 75 year old military rifle. But that was expected.

This Hooligan is very happy tonight.

Just thought I'd share.

:D

Attachments

• No 5 Capture.jpg
      No 5 Capture.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 645
    • IMG_E1683 SNIP.jpg
      IMG_E1683 SNIP.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 638
    • IMG_1686 SNIP.jpg
      IMG_1686 SNIP.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 636
    Jul 1, 2012
    schweeet!
    I'm not a knowledgeable rifle guy but I do like the look of the jungle carbine.
    "If I had an Enfield, it would look like this" :)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I used to deer hunt with a no 5 sometimes. The damn flash suppressor would ring the hell out of your ears when you lit it off in the woods. I shot a coon one time that was on some oyster shells walking in on a bush hogged path and thought I deafened myself. After a few years I sold it off.
    Shooting MKVII would kick like a mule lol.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    OP nice find. I haven't looked for a #5 for sometime so I don't know how available they are these days. Not to be critical or offend but I was confused looking at your carbine because of the fore end band. I have never seen one that looks like that. After looking at a few books to see if they were made that way it dawned on me it looks like a front or upper band from a #4! I can't see how it would fit and work but there it is. Anyway, have fun with it man.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice the good examples have really dried up lately. Id buy a second one given the chance.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Op said it needed a few things to bring it back. The pictures are not close up but the barrel knox does almost appear to have lightening cuts and the action body right below the rear sight seems to have been lightened as well. It's really hard to tell from the pictures. There should be a gap in between the sight when its folded on each side of the action.Fore-end appears to be cut down, bolt knob is solid and the bayo lug has been ground off.
    Other lightened areas of the action body can be seen when the fore-end is pulled off and are interesting when compared to a regular No4. The butt stock is the type with the gently sloping toe correct for a no 5. Rear micrometer sight should be graduated to 800 yds.
    Op I have a lightened hourglass bottom metal if you want it and may (I think maybe its been awhile) have a Flash suppressor with bayo lug buried in a parts bin somewhere I'd have to dig around.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm afraid you seem to have been "Had" that looks like a No4 gimmicked up into a psuedo No5.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It may be a sweet shooting carbine but I do not see a no5, this is a legit No5. (with the possible exception of the missing bayonet lug)
    The forend is wrong, The handguard is wrong, actually its missing completely! The reinforce of the barrel lightening cuts is wrong, the rear-sight is wrong & the receiver lightening cuts are wrong.

RYtnPtX.jpg

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I'm not ready to condemn the OP's carbine as a faked #5, at least not until I can see more detailed photos of the carbine. Certainly the bayonet lug is missing as is the hand guard and the ring at the rear of the barrel to hold the hand guard, the stock looks cut at the front and as I mentioned the band is wrong. The OP acknowledged the carbine needed work and no one could disagree. But not a #5, I can't tell without better examination with more photos.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    It all breaks my heart...just lost my two
    SMLE’s in a very real house fire, one 1917
    and one 1947.
    I will be back in the market once the
    insurance comes through...and will add a
    legit carbine once I’ve learned enough
    about them. Clearly, from this thread, I
    am reminded of how they fall into the
    “Caveat Emptor” category.

Jul 1, 2012
    It all breaks my heart...just lost my two
    SMLE’s in a very real house fire, one 1917
    and one 1947.
    I will be back in the market once the
    insurance comes through...and will add a
    legit carbine once I’ve learned enough
    about them. Clearly, from this thread, I
    am reminded of how they fall into the
    “Caveat Emptor” category.

man, that sucks!
    hope insurance does right by you.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    J8064 has his work cut out for him if the intent is to restore to original condition. Won't be as easy as a No4 but as someone who's done some difficult restorations to rare items (French M27 and M34 with another M34 in the wings) it's worth the time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom