• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Where did you shoot it and with what? I see blood on the back leg.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Day 2 of Tx trip
    Axis Doe 95 yards at 8:30am
    Slightly quartering away. I lined up the shot with the far (left) leg , 2 lungs and a shoulder it made it 20 yards before dropping. Just like my dad told me to do. excuse the awkward pose, I have a bum knee right now.

4d4442b9f0bc9bb05f2d9787b95cd649.jpg
    f53989231c7ce00af063f2ea0966af50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Finally got out this year, and got some backstraps for the freezer. My lease has not been good in the afternoons in several years, that changed last night. Had deer all over, this doe got absolutely planted by my Barnett cross bow. Went zero steps, easy recovery (for a change). Acorns falling like rain yesterday. This one and her two friends ate for 45 minutes before I shot her, and the other two kept at it for at least an hour after she went down, but didn’t come any closer than 55 yds.

Attachments

• 51C5DF3F-1780-4AA2-8560-258FD1B18F0C.jpg
      51C5DF3F-1780-4AA2-8560-258FD1B18F0C.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 317

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    First Day of a 3 day hunt in TX for management deer. 9 point
    This is my biggest buck to date. 104 yards with Ruger 308. Hit exactly where I was aiming. Nonetheless, it only went 40 yards before it dropped.
    a93b48d9378a2060d2c9f545214be37c.jpg

Lol "Management" deer. That would be on my wall any time any place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Where did you shoot it and with what? I see blood on the back leg.

Blood on the back leg is from gutting it or as it was running and bleeding out. The shot was behind the shoulder on the other side facing down. Quatering away it stuck in the opposite side shoulder so no exit wound on that side facing up.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Or, you can help manage the deer herd by culling does as requested by DNR and as commonly recognized by wildlife biologists and deer herd managers all over. Must be nice to hunt somewhere where 99.9% of the deer you see aren’t does or spikes.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Or, you can help manage the deer herd by culling does as requested by DNR and as commonly recognized by wildlife biologists and deer herd managers all over. Must be nice to hunt somewhere where 99.9% of the deer you see aren’t does or spikes.

Plenty of doe culling hunters around. Dead does with fawns next to em, or even fawns themselves dead, just not my idea of good sport. To each his own. As far as large bucks are concerned, its called patience. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Plenty of doe culling hunters around. Dead does with fawns next to em, or even fawns themselves dead, just not my idea of good sport. To each his own. As far as large bucks are concerned, its called patience. :)

Most places I see have few bucks in them around here. I forget MD’s harvest numbers but it’s around 1.2 or 1.4 to 1 on bucks vs does harvested if I remember correctly. That’s taking in to account button bucks where the hunter may have not been able to distinguish a doe from a buck.

Since the birth rate is 50/50, not the healthiest to have such unbalanced harvest numbers. I’d imagine that’s partly why DNR pushed the harvest limit to 2 + a bonus from 3 + a bonus two seasons ago. Try to balance the harvest ratio better.

Don’t get me wrong, if I have a choice of a big buck or a doe in front of me, I am going for the big buck. I am down for a trophy buck and i don’t begrudge someone who is going for one. But it does bother me if the only reason a person hunts is only for that. Things in balance and yeah a few trophy hunters isn’t going to mess numbers up, but I know a lot of hunters who will only shoot bigger bucks.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Since the birth rate is 50/50, not the healthiest to have such unbalanced harvest numbers. I’d imagine that’s partly why DNR pushed the harvest limit to 2 + a bonus from 3 + a bonus two seasons ago. Try to balance the harvest ratio better.

It makes no difference to me what someone shoots. I had a bad experience shooting a doe one time and I now will not do it. Deer are now to the point of being like rats. The roads are full of dead ones. The farmers are loosing hard work to them. If a farmer killed 20 in a night by flashlight and left them lay, 30 years ago I would have said "Lock him up". Today I wouldn't think anything of it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It makes no difference to me what someone shoots. I had a bad experience shooting a doe one time and I now will not do it. Deer are now to the point of being like rats. The roads are full of dead ones. The farmers are loosing hard work to them. If a farmer killed 20 in a night by flashlight and left them lay, 30 years ago I would have said "Lock him up". Today I wouldn't think anything of it.

That's part of my point though. A buck means one dead deer. A doe means a dead deer and all her fawns. Killing only bucks makes less of a difference on the size of the herd and it does also (if that is all most are doing) lead to more problems in the herd with imbalances with too few bucks breeding too many does.

You want to properly control them, there does need to be reasonable balance in the ratios taken (doesn't necessarily need to be 1:1, but DNR seems to think the balance isn't right or they wouldn't have tweaked the buck harvest limits).

I guess to a limited degree, it does directly impact me. I've got too many deer on my property as it is, though that is likely more from almost no hunters (other than me and a neighbor) in my large rural neighborhood near a state park. So they strip everything and the only successful garden has an 8+ft fence. On top of that, I have to live with the DNR reduced buck harvest numbers, so it means less opportunities for bucks for me. Which is generally less of a concern because I don't have the opportunity to take 4 bucks in a year, but owning property I can now hunt on, is more likely to rear its head.

I didn't say tar and feather buck only hunters and drive them out of town. Just saying, it does bother me as biologically it isn't great for the herd and at least based on DNR's moves, does affect me at least some. Guys who don't signal lane changes also bugs me, but I also know its gonna happen and I might as well just roll my eyes a little and move on with my life.

PS I am kind of curious what kind of bad experience you had harvesting a doe where you wouldn't do that anymore. Deer's, deer when it comes down to things. Or was a pregnant doe and it bothered you? Not judging that, just curious.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How are people buck only? One a year? I thought you had to take 2 does before a second buck or are you able to take 3 (arch/muz/firearm) without taking 2 does.

I’m doing population control and meat, cause I’m my neighborhood there is just too many. I think the 2 hunters behind me are not hunting this year cause I have not seen them and they get most of the harvest around me. Land owner had one rule. Take everything you can that gives you meat but leave the foxes to kill the rabbits.

If hunters want to be buck only and follow The regs that is fine. I dont have a problem, but do if they become snobs about it for those contributing to population control in what little time they have to hunt.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    That's part of my point though. A buck means one dead deer. A doe means a dead deer and all her fawns. Killing only bucks makes less of a difference on the size of the herd and it does also (if that is all most are doing) lead to more problems in the herd with imbalances with too few bucks breeding too many does.

You want to properly control them, there does need to be reasonable balance in the ratios taken (doesn't necessarily need to be 1:1, but DNR seems to think the balance isn't right or they wouldn't have tweaked the buck harvest limits).

I guess to a limited degree, it does directly impact me. I've got too many deer on my property as it is, though that is likely more from almost no hunters (other than me and a neighbor) in my large rural neighborhood near a state park. So they strip everything and the only successful garden has an 8+ft fence. On top of that, I have to live with the DNR reduced buck harvest numbers, so it means less opportunities for bucks for me. Which is generally less of a concern because I don't have the opportunity to take 4 bucks in a year, but owning property I can now hunt on, is more likely to rear its head.

I didn't say tar and feather buck only hunters and drive them out of town. Just saying, it does bother me as biologically it isn't great for the herd and at least based on DNR's moves, does affect me at least some. Guys who don't signal lane changes also bugs me, but I also know its gonna happen and I might as well just roll my eyes a little and move on with my life.

PS I am kind of curious what kind of bad experience you had harvesting a doe where you wouldn't do that anymore. Deer's, deer when it comes down to things. Or was a pregnant doe and it bothered you? Not judging that, just curious.

Invite some hunters out to help control your deer problem!!!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Invite some hunters out to help control your deer problem!!!!!

I would, but at least one of my neighbors who is cool with me hunting, Very certain she wouldn’t be others hunting. And my property is small enough, or more like the neighbor’s properties are small enough I’ve only got a tiny section I could hunt without being within safety zones so I want to stay within their good graces.

IE I need permission to hunt most of my property. At this point I’ve secured permission from most neighbors. Not real keen to go back and talk to them about having friends hunt my property. That said, I am taking a couple and donating to hunting buddies who can’t get out to hunt.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How are people buck only? One a year? I thought you had to take 2 does before a second buck or are you able to take 3 (arch/muz/firearm) without taking 2 does.

I’m doing population control and meat, cause I’m my neighborhood there is just too many. I think the 2 hunters behind me are not hunting this year cause I have not seen them and they get most of the harvest around me. Land owner had one rule. Take everything you can that gives you meat but leave the foxes to kill the rabbits.

If hunters want to be buck only and follow The regs that is fine. I dont have a problem, but do if they become snobs about it for those contributing to population control in what little time they have to hunt.

It was one in each season and if you wanted a bonus you have to take two antlerless first. Last year and this year is is one in two seasons and a bonus. So 3 total. You are not required to take any does first.

IMHO, I suspect it’s because DNR would rather get accurate harvest numbers and they expect people are lying about taking does so they can use a bonus stamp.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009

I guess to a limited degree, it does directly impact me. I've got too many deer on my property as it is, though that is likely more from almost no hunters (other than me and a neighbor) in my large rural neighborhood near a state park. So they strip everything and the only successful garden has an 8+ft fence. On top of that, I have to live with the DNR reduced buck harvest numbers, so it means less opportunities for bucks for me. Which is generally less of a concern because I don't have the opportunity to take 4 bucks in a year, but owning property I can now hunt
    I am only a meat eater, never shot a buck. I passed on I swear the largest disgusting marsh living buck, got on one knee,
    wind was against, he did not care.
    I would never shoot him, not my farm, not my buck, I do NOT want to eat that meat.
    That was a monster rack, disgusting old marsh buck.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    My first of the season. I got her last week in my back yard. Shot was about 12-15 yds from a tree. My first time using muzzy hybrids and man did they leave some blood. The arrow penetrated both ribs, but cought the back edge of her opposite shoulder and stopped just under skin. Arrow broke off in her. Ran maybe 30 yards and dropped just before leaving my woods, whew!

At first I thought she had spotted me and was alerting the other doe that was in some thick stuff with a hoof stomp. After I recovered her, it turns out she had three feet. It was all healed up with the fur grown back over. I wonder what happened.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_154054.jpg
      IMG_20190927_154054.jpg
      150.2 KB · Views: 270
    • MVIMG_20190927_154056.jpg
      MVIMG_20190927_154056.jpg
      144.9 KB · Views: 287

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members