• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey Guys, been a busy year. Been doing a lot of box diving at the archives.

During my last haul of files I'm digitizing to my website I found this one. And it's too good not to share.

Any 1911 fan knows the date, a simple google search can find it.

When the Office of Chief of Ordnance announced to Colt....

"The 1911 passed the tests and we will buy your pistol, send us a quote for uhhh 30,0000. Thanks"

You can read "about" the moment in history, or "read it for yourself."

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

ByI90LF.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    Very cool !
    John T Thompson started out as an ordnance inspector and you'll see his stamp on early Colts especially.
    Also the inventor of the "Tommy" gun :)

Attachments

• IMG_5763.jpg
      IMG_5763.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 717

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    That is very cool! Even nicer to know one them is in the family.

Is this document available in a form that can be printed?

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Not my pistol just interested in the history and those other document numbers are referenced on your posted document.

Sorry took me a minute to understand. Those are not serial numbers to firearms. They're OCO Document or File Numbers the Office of Chief of Ordnance used prior to the War Decimal filing system. Kinda like a case number to a particular file folder in his office. If that makes sense.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sorry took me a minute to understand. Those are not serial numbers to firearms. They're OCO Document or File Numbers the Office of Chief of Ordnance used prior to the War Decimal filing system. Kinda like a case number to a particular file folder in his office. If that makes sense.

I understood they were documents so they must be related to the "holy Grail" I just was wondering what was in them and what additional documents those might reference. Sort of like a treasure hunt or doing genealogy follow the trail and see where it leads.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I understood they were documents so they must be related to the "holy Grail" I just was wondering what was in them and what additional documents those might reference. Sort of like a treasure hunt or doing genealogy follow the trail and see where it leads.

Oh my apologizes. Well I am currently digitizing those files, you can PM if you're interested.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Oh my apologizes. Well I am currently digitizing those files, you can PM if you're interested.

Thank you for all your efforts and for posting things of general interest I am sure you will share the interesting bits and pieces you find so no point in adding to the workload.:thumbsup:

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you for all your efforts and for posting things of general interest I am sure you will share the interesting bits and pieces you find so no point in adding to the workload.:thumbsup:

Will do. I just documented a 1903 to a cavalry unit with the individual trooper to boot. The client gave me permission to post pictures and I cut him a deal. Thatll be next. That's was a really interesting rifle

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    This will certainly be more interesting than Oak Island Mystery It would be cool to see the order request for the B A R Browning Automatic Rifle, or any other historical documentation. Fred55

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Will your website be something that you can share with us?

Oh sorry I didn't mean to be vague or shady, I just wasn't trying to do "tacky" self promoting. I mean the watermark keeps people from stealing it as their own but also makes it easy to find me.

Just came across the file and thought it was worth sharing. Since we're all collectors and this was an exciting one even if you don't like 1911s. Just been finding neat stuff later so I throw it on here

This probably was one of the single most important dates in American military small arms history when you think about it, considering how long the 1911 was in service.

But feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions, be happy to answer them. I love talking old US firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom