• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    My license will expire in about 3 months.

Usually, before it expires, the ATF send out the renewal notice and I follow the instructions to renew my C&R license.

This time, I might move to another state before it expires. Should I just wait till it expires and then apply for a new one at the new location? Or is there a good way to renew it without bothering to apply for a new one?

Many thanks!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you let it expire, you're not obligated to retain your old bound book.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I moved a few years ago and it was painless. I had to complete a form for the address change and I had to notify the new local law enforcement Chief if I recall correctly (just like you do when you applied for it), but it was pretty quick. I moved far enough away (to a new ATF region) that I got a new FFL number.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My license will expire in about 3 months.

Usually, before it expires, the ATF send out the renewal notice and I follow the instructions to renew my C&R license.

This time, I might move to another state before it expires. Should I just wait till it expires and then apply for a new one at the new location? Or is there a good way to renew it without bothering to apply for a new one?

Many thanks!

You don't have to wait till your gas tank is empty before a fill up, do you?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Look at it this way:

If you let it expire, the "one you HAVE to have" will show up the following day and your new C&R will be weeks away... :banghead:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I moved a few years ago and it was painless. I had to complete a form for the address change and I had to notify the new local law enforcement Chief if I recall correctly (just like you do when you applied for it), but it was pretty quick. I moved far enough away (to a new ATF region) that I got a new FFL number.

I moved like a dozen houses. So no new FFL for me. I don’t recall there being a CLEO notification being involved, but maybe there was for the address change.

As to the OP’s situation, if it is possible you will have moved before the new license has arrived, I’d just let it expire and then apply for a new one.

Otherwise you can’t use your C&R anyway. The FFL address and your mailing/DL address need to match. Once you’ve moved you have to apply for the address change and wait for the new one showing your new address (I believe you can apply for the address change in advance of moving if you know it is for sure coming up).

I think it took about 4 weeks to get my updated C&R when I moved last year.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Just got my latest renewal notification and it now includes sending a copy (both sides) to your CLEO.
    Also, noticed that if you do not intend to renew you must forward your records to the ATF! Didn't see that the last 2 times I renewed.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just got my latest renewal notification and it now includes sending a copy (both sides) to your CLEO.
    Also, noticed that if you do not intend to renew you must forward your records to the ATF! Didn't see that the last 2 times I renewed.

If i remember right it was a generic FFL renewal form, not C&R specific so maybe that is there for the other types and doesn't apply to 03.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

If i remember right it was a generic FFL renewal form, not C&R specific so maybe that is there for the other types and doesn't apply to 03.

Teach me to read the fine print!!! Underneath the statement is a C&R exemption in tiny little print. Don't they know that us old folks have weak eyes! :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom