• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    A NICS check with a photograph? What's that all about?

It pertains to the Amish apparently that would have otherwise bought long guns privately without ID as you'd need ID to buy from a FFL.

Not sure how this is going to work since this is going on a 4473 and not a 77R

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It pertains to the Amish apparently that would have otherwise bought long guns privately without ID as you'd need ID to buy from a FFL.

That makes sense. So the Amish have been effectively banned from buying new firearms for all these years?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

This.

Do we know what the work around is? Sounds like a hair-brained scheme like the 77R. Maybe they'll make the Amish have to have Windows Explorer to transfer long guns........... oh, yea........

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

ok but what is the form of id not a driver's license less the picture.Birth Certificate maybe ? curious

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    I'm not sure why they're continuing to dicker around with both bills- Lee's (SB737) hasn't even made it over to the House, so why would they stick the "Amish Amendment" on that one, rather than Atterbeary's (HB786), which already went through the House?

In addition, in coming out of committee BOTH bills have now been amended with loan restriction language ripped out of SB346 (Sen. Ferguson's loan bill) which is headed to conference committee.

We'll see if either one of these actually makes it out.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Absolutely crazy. Gang members who commit armed robbery get a slap on the wrist in the city clink, sell a gun to a law abiding friend? Prison.

This is a state run by, and run for criminals. Everyone else is just a cash cow paying their bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So the third reader says they’ve water it down to only be sales and the loaning provisions don’t seem to have any restrictions that I can see in this.

But I also notice for sale ALL of them have to be done through an FFL dealer. No exemptions. Not for police and no FFL-03 exceptions like there had been.

**** Maryland (on the FFL-03 stuff). I guess it’ll be time to find out if there is any exception to out of state transfers or ordering and having C&R long guns shipped in to Maryland. I assume so as MD law won’t apply outside MD to FFLs (or which a C&R collector is an FFL everywhere else in the other 49 states).

Would be ALMOST amusing if handguns have an out of state exception (MD AG opinion says so) and long guns don’t for FFL-03s

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You mean like FSA13?

They did not take their time and get it right on FSA2013. FSA2013 was a rush job, a hack job, and a bill rammed down some legislators' throats by Martin O'Malley. Brown tried to campaign on that same theme, with his stupid ad with an AR-15 resting on a tree in a neighborhood and I believe there was another one in a playground. Now, where are Senor O'Malley and Senor Brown? Did the former become President like he had hoped? Did the latter become Governor like he had hoped?

If they could shore up NICS to make its reporting a lot better, which seems to be happening over the past 5 years, and they could make UBC actually make sense, I am alright with it. Just don't ram some pile of garbage, like the HQL, down my throat and tell me 1) it is for public safety and 2) that it is actually working.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    ok but what is the form of id not a driver's license less the picture.Birth Certificate maybe ? curious

Think they spelled out in SB737 what is acceptable ID wise:

(3) (I) A BACKGROUND CHECK THROUGH THE NICS INDEX IS NOT REQUIRED IF THE PURCHASER:

1. HAS A RELIGIOUS BELIEF AGAINST TAKING A PHOTOGRAPH;
    2. PRESENTS PROOF OF IDENTITY, LEGAL PRESENCE, RESIDENCY, AND SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR NON–WORK AUTHORIZED STATUS;
    3. PRESENTS A SIGNED AND APPROVED IRS FORM 4029 OR AN AFFIDAVIT STATING THAT THE PURCHASER HAS A SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF AGAINST THE TAKING OF A PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPH; AND
    4. DOES NOT POSSESS A LICENSE OR AN IDENTIFICATION CARD OF ANY KIND WITH A PHOTOGRAPHIC IDENTIFICATION.

(II) A PURCHASER WHO IS EXEMPT FROM AN NICS INDEX BACKGROUND CHECK UNDER SUBPARAGRAPH (I) OF THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL:

1. APPLY FOR A BACKGROUND CHECK THAT INCLUDES STATE AND NATIONAL CRIMINAL HISTORY INFORMATION; AND
    2. PRESENT PROOF OF THE COMPLETED BACKGROUND CHECK TO THE LICENSEE.

(III) THE PURCHASER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY COSTS OF THE BACKGROUND CHECK CONDUCTED UNDER SUBPARAGRAPH (II) OF THIS PARAGRAPH.

Seems like there are some serious hoops for those with a religious belief preventing the taking of their photograph to jump through if they want to buy a gun without a NICS check.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Absolutely crazy. Gang members who commit armed robbery get a slap on the wrist in the city clink, sell a gun to a law abiding friend? Prison.

This is a state run by, and run for criminals. Everyone else is just a cash cow paying their bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you come to this conclusion? The law has not even been passed yet and you assume that everybody charged with this crime would end up getting the maximum sentence possible. If this law passes, I would bet that I could get a PBJ for a first time offender if the person is indeed an upstanding citizen. I would be shocked if a first time offender of this law even saw any jail time or was even found guilty IF he is an upstanding, law complying, citizen.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    How did you come to this conclusion? The law has not even been passed yet and you assume that everybody charged with this crime would end up getting the maximum sentence possible. If this law passes, I would bet that I could get a PBJ for a first time offender if the person is indeed an upstanding citizen. I would be shocked if a first time offender of this law even saw any jail time or was even found guilty IF he is an upstanding, law complying, citizen.

Question;. Would not receiving the PBJ still classify the recipient as "DisApproved" for life? If the "possible" penalty "could" have exceeded 2 years, even as a misdemeanor, is that not the case for the HQL? (On my phone so can't look it up easily)

In my opinion, that's their ultimate goal with all this excrement. One simple error, where no one suffers an injury of any kind, and the transgressor is barred for life from possessing a firearm.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

PBJ or not, you still become a prohibited person and would have to forfeit ALL of your firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom