Gifting .22 from an out of state resident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD
    I am sure this has already been discussed in the forums before but I couldn’t find anything closely related to my situation. I have a buddy who is now a FL resident and has bought me a Mossberg 702 .22 rifle for my birthday. However, I am a MD resident. My understanding is that the process has to be done through an FFL for the gift transfer. I just wanted to ask anyone who’s had to go through this process or understand the laws better than I do to chime in. We are of course a law abiding citizen and I legally own handguns and rifles according to laws in our states. I just want everything to be done according to laws so that nobody gets in trouble. Is it just as simple as going through an FFL, passing a background check, paying some sort of transfer fee and be done? Or do we both have to go through MSP?

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Your buddy ships it to a FFL in Maryland. You then do the 4473 and take it home. MSP is not involved.

bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD
    Or he can bring it with him and drop it off at the FFL, if he’s coming up in person.

That was his plan originally, I just didn’t know if that was allowed. I’ll talk to my local FFL since that’s where the exchange will happen and I’m picking myself up a new toy there next week anyways. (It’s a Kimber Desert Warrior ). Thanks for the input

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or you can go down to visit him, and do the transfer at an FFL in Florida.

Or even better, next time, have him give you the money to buy it yourself locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom