• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    Now that I got my Colt AR6721 I need lots of range ammo. Like to get the per round cost as low as possible but with some sort of quality/accuracy. Looking at various sites and of course everyone has there favorites. Looking at various Federals, Remington and PMC.

Thx - mike

18efcd14da83a8eb647872ce97adb1da.jpg

340055086c844a0380ad05b0bbb45f7b.jpg

93f823f080497c3e8a10e96b407ba524.jpg

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I am a big fan of wolf gold. It's clean, accurate, and inexpensive. If you're okay with steel cased bimetallic jacketed ammo, I like Wolf Steel well. I can get it on sale for about $.20 per round, and it is plenty accurate and reliable out of the firearms I use it in. I have shot many thousands of rounds of both and never had an issue. TBH I have never had an issue with any cheap range ammo that I can recall. On black Friday last year I purchased a CMMG .22lr drop in conversion kit that has worked quite well for me as well. Had one squib round that thankfully cleared the barrel--which is melonited so I don't worry about babying it like I do a stainless steel barrel.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I generally buy Federal, Independence and IMI M193. Lately you should be able to get it at 33 cents/round shipped.

In smaller quantities, I have shot Geco and MEN without issues.

I have a case of PPU M193 that is significantly hotter than Federal/Independence and IMI.

I has also heard a lot of good reviews on the Wolf Gold.

Check sgammo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Federal XM193. Added bonus is it works decent enough for home defense too.

This is what I'm stocked up on. It's good stuff.

Me three. I'm a firm believer that you should stockpile, sight in, and practice with only the one specific ammo you would use in a real-world emergency, as long as it's cost-effective. XM193 meets that criteria. M855 would be a decent choice too, although a little more expensive.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Federal XM193. Added bonus is it works decent enough for home defense too.

This is what I'm stocked up on. It's good stuff.

Me three. I'm a firm believer that you should stockpile, sight in, and practice with only the one specific ammo you would use in a real-world emergency, as long as it's cost-effective. XM193 meets that criteria. M855 would be a decent choice too, although a little more expensive.

Federal Ammunition
    Federal Lake City 5.56mm NATO Ammo 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket 1000 Rounds Bulk

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...k-ammo-xm193-55-grain-fmj-xm193bk-p-2384.aspx

Me five. I think...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good deal. I've had somewhat mixed results with Freedom Munitions in the past, but I'd be willing to give this stuff a shot. The price is certainly right, especially when they do their free shipping sales.

My experience with Freedom so far: I've liked their .38spl and .357magnum ammo quite well, both new and remanufactured. Their rifle ammunition has always shot well, though my bolt gun didn't like any of their .308 match (it is picky). A year or two ago, I got a batch of their new 9mm that shot about a foot low at 7 yards with 4 different pistols. At Delmarva Sporting Clays, if I was standing 10 yards back I would have to aim two targets above the one I intended to shoot to make hits on their old beat up dueling tree. No reliability or cycling issues though. In retrospect I should have contacted Freedom to let them know there was an issue with that lot and to give them a chance to make it right, so I consider that experience a wash.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good deal. I've had somewhat mixed results with Freedom Munitions in the past, but I'd be willing to give this stuff a shot. The price is certainly right, especially when they do their free shipping sales.

My experience with Freedom so far: I've liked their .38spl and .357magnum ammo quite well, both new and remanufactured. Their rifle ammunition has always shot well, though my bolt gun didn't like any of their .308 match (it is picky). A year or two ago, I got a batch of their new 9mm that shot about a foot low at 7 yards with 4 different pistols. At Delmarva Sporting Clays, if I was standing 10 yards back I would have to aim two targets above the one I intended to shoot to make hits on their old beat up dueling tree. No reliability or cycling issues though. In retrospect I should have contacted Freedom to let them know there was an issue with that lot and to give them a chance to make it right, so I consider that experience a wash.

I have had luck with Freedom but just use it for plinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom