• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I do everything but bologna and hot dogs myself, i leave that to the butcher. That said, i am going to try bologna soon

Nice, i havent done dogs either. Bologna, just remember to heat slowly so the fat doesn't get gross on you.

I've debated buying a sausage stuffer which I hear makes it easier that using the grinder, but we just don't eat enough bologna to justify it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Nice, i havent done dogs either. Bologna, just remember to heat slowly so the fat doesn't get gross on you.

I've debated buying a sausage stuffer which I hear makes it easier that using the grinder, but we just don't eat enough bologna to justify it.

I actually have a sausage stuffer that i use for breakfast sausage. Its an old commercial size stuffer that needed about 4-5 hours of re hab work to get it up and running properly. I used it to make 24 pounds of links last year. It takes some getting use to, but it works great :thumbsup:

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    My processor stopped this year too. I'm on the hunt (pun intended :cool: ) for a new one.

I take mine to Clint's Cuts between mt airy and new market.

Someday I am so going to use tape to hack their sign into ****'s Clits....

**** = see you in tee

Last edited:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    The wife and I spent yesterday evening vacuum sealing 30 lbs of jalapeño jack deer dogs that I just picked up from Ilyes up in York! They are the bomb!

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpg
      IMG_1732.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 179

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    The wife and I spent yesterday evening vacuum sealing 30 lbs of jalapeño jack deer dogs that I just picked up from Ilyes up in York! They are the bomb!

They are great picked up one there on Friday. Have used them for years. Plus they will process long after others have closed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 177

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Hey Mike! I was there Friday also to pick up the dogs! I also have been using them for years! I also use JL Miller right around the corner. Have been dealing with Harry and Tom for years! They have great fresh and smoked sausage. I also have them do a hind quarter dried chipped. Waiting on one now. All of my bologna is done at Holricks in Felton Pa. If you have not used either give them a try you won't be disappointed!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those of you who use processors, ever thought of doing them yourself?

I would, but my wife isn’t a huge fan of my hunting. Hanging a deer in our garage and cutting it apart would likely lead to her kicking me out of the house.

Fabs, I thought the mountain bikers were damned nuts. A, to be out biking in -11F windchill, but B also they were wearing nothing but spandex base layer and vests. One of them wrecks and breaks an ankle and can’t move around much, probably would have froze to death even partner biking.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Mini14.
    Yes I've used Millers meats also. There is a place in Lebanon Pa called Ebersole's that do great stuff also. I usually take a deboned deer to them for ring Bologna. I haven't been to Holricks but I know some people who do. There is just something about Ilyes that keeps me going back. Great place.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    except the one visit from the red fox that always comes and pees on the block.

Wife called me at work last fall, had a pair that came through and peed on everything in the yard including the mineral block. Said they both climbed right on top of it peed and hopped off.
    I thought that was pretty damn strange but it didn't seem to keep the deer away.
    Has anybody else here had this happen?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I lost a neck gator(my favorite one) once and found it a few days later. A fox had found it too and rubbed all over it. It was coated in fox fur.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would, but my wife isn’t a huge fan of my hunting. Hanging a deer in our garage and cutting it apart would likely lead to her kicking me out of the house.

Fabs, I thought the mountain bikers were damned nuts. A, to be out biking in -11F windchill, but B also they were wearing nothing but spandex base layer and vests. One of them wrecks and breaks an ankle and can’t move around much, probably would have froze to death even partner biking.

You can still pedal a bike with clipped pedals with only one leg working. It is a lot harder, but you will still get out of the woods faster than somebody walking with a broken ankle. Clips bind the cyclist's foot to the pedals so that power can be applied on the down and upstroke.

Cycling clothing is actually pretty warm. If I was not using under armour cold gear tights as a base layer, I would use my cycling stuff. You have to remember, when I am out riding on the road, that tight jacket I am wearing is protecting me from 20+ mph winds the entire time, and even more if I am riding into the wind.

We all take risks heading out into the great outdoors, whether it be hunting, fishing, cycling, hiking, or whatever else. The key is to reduce the risks as much as possible.

We've been looking at new houses and a couple of them have been on less land than what we have right now. I mentioned how much my neighbors would like me hanging a deer in the backyard for all to see, and my wife just said, "So, hang it in the garage." She helped me bag up the goose carcasses a month or so ago when I was done breasting them in the garage. We'll have to get our wives together a little more often.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Happens all the time, they-ll piss on cast off antlers as well.

Years ago,I found a dead 6 pt skull with perfect antlers.Would make a good natural European mount.Took them home and thought the bathtub would be a good place to remove some dirt.My wife at the time never really bitched much about hunting or the stuff I brought home and messed with.But when the hot water thawed out the skull and fox piss odor filled the house....yeah...she wasnt happy.:rolleyes:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Tonight was the last night of my season, and I had a bonus buck stamp so I cashed it in. I had a small 4 point that I normally would have let walk, but thats hard to do on the final day :shrug:

Its been a fun and succesful season, my freezer is full and my son and I have some great memories. Hopefully I'll be thawed out by next bow season :rolleyes:

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Wife called me at work last fall, had a pair that came through and peed on everything in the yard including the mineral block. Said they both climbed right on top of it peed and hopped off.
    I thought that was pretty damn strange but it didn't seem to keep the deer away.
    Has anybody else here had this happen?

I wish I could post a video. Have one of the grey fox standing on the block and rubbing himself all over it. Looks like he needs a cigarette after it he looks so happy.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Congrats to Brian and his son. And all else who connected large season. Today would of been the better day to be out. Unfortunately for me Dorchester was a no Sunday today. Oh well plenty of archery left.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats to all who were able to harvest a deer during firearm/ML season. I sure hope everyone enjoys the venison that was harvested.

Congrats to all.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can still pedal a bike with clipped pedals with only one leg working. It is a lot harder, but you will still get out of the woods faster than somebody walking with a broken ankle. Clips bind the cyclist's foot to the pedals so that power can be applied on the down and upstroke.

Cycling clothing is actually pretty warm. If I was not using under armour cold gear tights as a base layer, I would use my cycling stuff. You have to remember, when I am out riding on the road, that tight jacket I am wearing is protecting me from 20+ mph winds the entire time, and even more if I am riding into the wind.

We all take risks heading out into the great outdoors, whether it be hunting, fishing, cycling, hiking, or whatever else. The key is to reduce the risks as much as possible.

We've been looking at new houses and a couple of them have been on less land than what we have right now. I mentioned how much my neighbors would like me hanging a deer in the backyard for all to see, and my wife just said, "So, hang it in the garage." She helped me bag up the goose carcasses a month or so ago when I was done breasting them in the garage. We'll have to get our wives together a little more often.

That sounds like a plan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom