• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Cato Report "Gun Control: Grounds for Compromise"

I'd like to see the following "compromises";

1. Vigorously enforce existing laws prohibiting criminal violence before enacting new laws that limit the liberties of law abiding citizens.

2. End the revolving door "criminal justice" system by reinstating tools like Project Exile, where anyone convicted of a violent crime involving a firearm faces a 10 year minimum federal sentence.

3. Create firearm purchase approval and carry permit issuance policies that are balanced (preventing access to criminals and legitimately mentally ill), objective (not subject to personal or political bias) and instant (especially for people that already own firearms or may have an urgent need - such as an assault or stalker).

4. Enact national reciprocity. Vigorously and continuously monitor permit holders for violations of law, like Utah.

5. Educate youth about gun safety early, and gun owners about their responsibilities. Perhaps offering reduced or no fee carry permits to those that complete a state approved 16 hour safety course.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Salient points ...

Cato Institute is a libertarian think-tank. I subscribe to their publications, but not neccesarily to their ways of thinking. That said, Mr Levy needs to retire as chairman because he abandoned one of the institute's basic tenants while sliding down the slippery slope of gun-control.

Assault rifles
    The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban went too far, but a more limited version might be viable.

High-capacity magazines
    Perhaps that suggests a ban on magazines with more than, say, 20 rounds.

Universal background checks
    It may be time to revisit and, if necessary, fine-tune Manchin-Toomey.

Attachments

• Infringe.jpg
      Infringe.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 550

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'd be willing to compromise the same way that those who want gun control do. Instead of repealing the 34GCA entirely, we can remove SBRs, SBSs, DDs and AOWs from it, reinstate the MG registry removed by the 86 law. Then if we can do that, next year repeal the rest anyway being we have momentum on our side, if anyone questions our motives, keep stating "we belive in common sense gun safety".

Seems the once great Libertarian party and institutions like Cato are being taken over by the same Authoritarian idiots it was founded to oppose.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    fvck compromise. we have compromised enough already. they want to just compromise us out of our guns then all of our rights.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thoughts ??? Run for Chairman at Cato

Post #2 updated. Your thoughts?

1. Vigorously enforce existing laws prohibiting criminal violence before enacting new laws that limit the liberties of law abiding citizens.

2. End the revolving door "criminal justice" system by reinstating tools like Project Exile, where anyone convicted of a violent crime involving a firearm faces a 10 year minimum federal sentence.

3. Create firearm purchase approval and carry permit issuance policies that are balanced (preventing access to criminals and legitimately mentally ill), objective (not subject to personal or political bias) and instant (especially for people that already own firearms or may have an urgent need - such as an assault or stalker).

4. Enact national reciprocity. Vigorously and continuously monitor permit holders for violations of law, like Utah.

5. Educate youth about gun safety early, and gun owners about their responsibilities. Perhaps offering reduced or no fee carry permits to those that complete a state approved 16 hour safety course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As Joe Dirt would say ...

Attachments

• righton.jpg
      righton.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 424

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    These gun control freaks can take their "compromise" and shove it up their worthless asses.
    Support and defend the constitution or face the consequences.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Compromise should mean both parties give up something, and gain something. It's not a compromise to be able to keep somethings, rather then lose everything.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

Don't you realize you are offering actual solutions?? That makes too much sense. You have to offer expensive, right-infringing non-solutions for the Liberals to get on board.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    More gun buyer background checks the day we have universal and enforced voter eligibility checks.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Definitions ----

Libtard terms...

Compromise:
    A buzz word meaning "We agree to stop demanding that you do it our way... When you agree to do it our way."

F Off:
    NO. Now go away... You're a disingenuous pusswimp. :cool:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm not sure I understand why Levy wrote this. The gun control he suggests is proven futile by the very stats he posts.

Magazine capacity at 20? That's completely arbitrary, as is 10, as is 30. Levy points out that experienced used can swap magazines quickly, making capacity inconsequential. He also notes that confiscation of magazines is a pointless gesture. Once again, why bother? To make those who want more gun control feel good?

As CypherPunk points out, if law enforcement merely enforced the laws we have on the books already in regards to possession and transfers, new laws wouldn't be necessary in regards to background checks. Levy notes that ~2% of crime guns came from a gun show at all. DOJ statistics show that 80% of crime guns came from either the black market or were illegally transferred to the criminal by a friend or family member. Unless a registry exists and law enforcement constantly queries Americans if they still own the X amount of firearms registered to them, what could possibly change this?

Having MORE government involved is precisely what CATO has been working to prevent, so why make propositions like these things here?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( This moment I will skip the conversation about libertarian and true meaning.)

As noted several times, so far all the discussions about compromise haven't involved actual Compromise. It has just been the anti's fine tuning how much they gain and we loose.

Now actual compromise would be an interesting conversation. They want UBC for handguns ? Then the tradeoff would be that anyone who could legally purchase, could carry it. With no jurisdictions able to opt out. Would I whole heartedly support that? Probably I'd still oppose the UBC part on principle, but it would be a legit conversation.

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    I'd be willing to compromise the same way that those who want gun control do. Instead of repealing the 34GCA entirely, we can remove SBRs, SBSs, DDs and AOWs from it, reinstate the MG registry removed by the 86 law. Then if we can do that, next year repeal the rest anyway being we have momentum on our side, if anyone questions our motives, keep stating "we belive in common sense gun safety".

Seems the once great Libertarian party and institutions like Cato are being taken over by the same Authoritarian idiots it was founded to oppose.

I'm on the same page as you. UBC's trade for NFA modification+elimination you listed above, but then also protection of semi auto rifles to the same degree (or more) as handguns. I'd also slightly modify the DD aspect, where large bore rifles would be removed but explosives would remain with MGs in NFA.

I think national reciprocity will pass without compromise in the next decade or so.

Also this is some ideal situation that I don't see working out unfortunately. For now I am "no compromise" because there verison of compromise means gives us more of your rights and we won't give you jackshit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is reciprosity and there is RECIPROSITY.

Recognizing Permits to be accepted on same basis as indigenous is within conception in current politics. A step, but a todler step. You still have states defaco opting out, and states that won't issue to common citizens.

Mandating Shall Issue would still see Md, NY, NJ, HI, CA, etc charging $$$, creating hoops, and intetminable delays. And be on shakey constitutional ground. Making somthing unneeded is on firmer ground than mandating its issue.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Cato is usually pretty libertarian. If they are writing this, they are preparing for the offensive if Clinton wins. They have already given ground, not good.

If Trump loses we are so hosed it's not funny. Your guns and money will be confiscated. You will owe taxes on your taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom