• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I like it here in north Dundalk, despite the Essex sewage plant getting a bit intense from time to time.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Finally time to leave Canton. I'm looking for places to live. Looked at Severna Park and Arnold but everything there is way overpriced.

Now I'm thinking Marriottsville (hmmmm wonder what is there :D), Sykesville, Randallstown, Reisterstown, Woodstock.

Looking for a couple acres of land with decent school district. Have to commute to Federal Hill every day.

What say you all?

OK I actually have some expertise in this area.... (Knew that geography degree would come in handy some day!!!!)

To make this decision *correctly* you need to build a matrix of items that are important to you, assign them a weight, and do your research. Moving is a big deal.

Some things to consider:

-Commute / commute experience
    -Housing prices and taxes <---- !!!!!!!
    -Neighborhood bylaws (think community association)
    -Crime rate
    -Schools (if you have or plan to have kids)
    -Access to other areas of personal interest
    -Other social intangibles (people of similar backgrounds, education levels, professions, etc)

A lot of these metrics are available via census, and since we just had one recently, the data is fresh.

We moved out of Perry Hall/White Marsh "townhouse land", not because it was "bad" but because it wasn't "ideal" for our long term plans. The same builder was offering a house further up 95, and one in Carroll County. 100K price differential. We chose Carroll County because it fit our matrix. (The 95 commute scored anything in Baltimore County or further north *out of bounds* for us.....)

To assess a commute you have to do it a couple times. I agree with another poster, Western suburbs of the city is tough, although you do have access to the Metro subway, if that works. Also you may have to give something up. My boat is in Chase MD, a 50 minute ride. But I can't change where the Bay is.... Good luck in your decision.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Finally time to leave Canton. I'm looking for places to live. Looked at Severna Park and Arnold but everything there is way overpriced.

Now I'm thinking Marriottsville (hmmmm wonder what is there :D), Sykesville, Randallstown, Reisterstown, Woodstock.

Looking for a couple acres of land with decent school district. Have to commute to Federal Hill every day.

What say you all?

When you see the leaving MD sign then start looking:D

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    having a short commute to fed hill AND finding "a couple acres of land" will be the biggest problem. personally, i think your best bet is bel air, fallston, baldwin. depending on which times you hit 95, you may be battling with traffic.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Hunt valley/ cockeysville/ monkton plenty of affordable homes out here slightly off the beaten path but near 83

What do you consider affordable? I've seen a few houses on Zillow in the area, but not alot. Some of the ones that I've seen need work as well and I'm talking more than a coat of paint :-)

mbruce53

Jun 25, 2012
    Severn
    I recently moved to Severn and I like it a lot so far.. it is a pretty nice area with a lot of stuff around and good access to the highways. Also, it is about 20-25 minute drive to Canton so not too bad.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I wouldn't entertain moving from Canton to Reisterstown or Randallstown. At best, you would be moving sideways in terms of crime rate and school system. Worst case, you're moving backwards. Since a good school district is important to you, that criterion alone should rule out those two places.

You can get acreage and a lot more peace and quiet in Marriottsville, Woodstock, and Sykesville. Generally, Sykesville should be the least expensive. Marriottsville will be the most expensive. The important point being that these three towns get you into Howard County, which means much better schools.

If a lower real estate price is critical, looking farther away towards Lisbon and Woodbine should get you significantly lower prices for acreage with plenty of peace and quiet and good schools.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    Im right in eldersburg its pretty quiet depending on where you are, and its not really obnoxious in higher traffic areas. You can find some land for a decent price just have to look and you can definitely get away from things. You can go a little further to mt airy as well. Your in carrol county for school district.

The only thing with a commute back into baltimore is you will hit traffic. You have 32, 695, and 70 and then you can branch off them. If you were to hit 695 you will hit traffic both ways and just a little bottlneck right at 70 where 29 comes on heading west. If its raining or an accident on 32 it can get congested easily since its one way both ways once you get off 70. Liberty rd ( 26 ) does run all the way into the city but i have never taken that way so i cant say much. But if its like randalstown all the way down it could be a pain in the ass with a light at every block.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hard to beat Perry hall or Nottingham...... Close to Freestate and crime is minimal..... Sucks about the 95 commute thingy though :o

Sent from my tricked out Synergy Evo!

:thumbsup: Perry Hall/Nottingham; close to Bel Air Rd. for easy access to city, although I don't use it anymore..... go the other way and I'm in the Gunpowder SP in 5 mins. Close to I-95 when I want it, malls and shopping, low crime, big yard. I like it while I wait for the retirement move to PA:innocent0

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    When you're driving White Marsh to McLean and back, we can talk... I thought I finally found a decent contract in Aberdeen, ended up back in McLean. :sad20:

:lol: Been there, done that. Commuted from Perry Hall to Fairfax, VA. Then my insanity cleared and I got a job locally.......

Chiaroscuro

Far from the Usual
    Jun 27, 2012
    Glen Arm
    :thumbsup: Perry Hall/Nottingham; close to Bel Air Rd. for easy access to city, although I don't use it anymore..... go the other way and I'm in the Gunpowder SP in 5 mins. Close to I-95 when I want it, malls and shopping, low crime, big yard. I like it while I wait for the retirement move to PA:innocent0

Might check Glen Arm if you want a couple acres. Not sure how the prices run but I've seen a handful of places up for sale here and there. Actually I know of one around the corner from us that is going to be going into foreclosure, 3 acres I believe, decent house, probably needs some work, in ground pool, backs up to farm land, shares the driveway with 2 other neighbors, but is still fairly private.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom