• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodachi

Jan 22, 2013
    Yeah you're right. Disingenuous to the max. Although they're correctly stating, "But you still have your firearms!" they're simultaneouxly relentlessly chipping away at the ownership.

I got the following from Wikipedia:

Australia
    Civilian ownership of handguns in Australia is legal, but heavily restricted. Handguns may not be owned for self-defense purposes (Target shooting, collecting, and occupational reasons for farmers/gun dealers are, by and large, the only legal reasons for handgun ownership), and anyone wishing to possess a handgun must obtain a firearms license and observe stringent storage regulations.

Canada
    In Canada, ownership of handguns is restricted and subject to registration. Guns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that fire .25 or .32 caliber ammunition are classified as prohibited.

Pakistan
    In Pakistan, citizens in the states of Punjab and Sindh are subject to strict gun control regulations and may only carry a concealed gun, even if it is with a bodyguard.
    United Kingdom

Great Britain
    In the United Kingdom (with the exception of Northern Ireland), civilian ownership of almost any handgun has been outlawed since the Dunblane massacre of 1996; the only exclusions were single shot, rimfire, and muzzleloading pistols/revolvers. So called "Long Barreled" cartridge firing revolvers and semi automatic pistols (.22LR only) are still legal providing that they meet the following requirements: overall length not less than 24", barrel length not less than 12". As with all other legal firearms in the UK, possession requires a Firearm Certificate.

Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistols

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    You have to love how so many Maryland officials acknowledge a "business need" for handgun permits but not permits for personal safety. IMO it goes to show that our government really doesn't care about the well-being of individuals.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    You have to love how so many Maryland officials acknowledge a "business need" for handgun permits but not permits for personal safety. IMO it goes to show that our government really doesn't care about the well-being of individuals.

Money is more important than people.. Same logic when guards in banks is good but guards in schools is bad.

BTW in my experience this makes most liberals stop dead...and go radio silence.. So this one we also tend to win even on there home court..

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I just finished reading the executive summary....I feel nauseated. It was so full of bias and logic fallacies I don't think it could ever be taken seriously by anyone in academia. Unfortunately, it has been taken seriously by Maryland lawmakers.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    "As attitudes
    have slowly but surely undergone
    radical transformation regarding such
    critical public health issues as smoking
    and using seatbelts, bicycle helmets,
    and child car restraints, so too must
    owning and carrying handguns come
    to be seen as dangerous and aberrant
    behavior
    (emphasis added)."

There ya go, "you are aberrant because you want a gun, there for your application for a license to buy a gun is denied"

Automatic failure of the mental health exam, "comrade, now go with the nice man in the white coat, and he will help you fix that aberrant behavior"

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah you're right. Disingenuous to the max. Although they're correctly stating, "But you still have your firearms!" they're simultaneouxly relentlessly chipping away at the ownership.

I got the following from Wikipedia:

Australia

Canada

Pakistan

Great Britain
    In the United Kingdom (with the exception of Northern Ireland), civilian ownership of almost any handgun has been outlawed since the Dunblane massacre of 1996; the only exclusions were single shot, rimfire, and muzzleloading pistols/revolvers. So called "Long Barreled" cartridge firing revolvers and semi automatic pistols (.22LR only) are still legal providing that they meet the following requirements: overall length not less than 24", barrel length not less than 12". As with all other legal firearms in the UK, possession requires a Firearm Certificate.

Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistols

See gun control does work.... (sarcasm)

Well except for that mass shooting when 12 where murdered and 11 injured...
    Using a .22 bolt action rifle, not an evil "assault rifle"...!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    "As attitudes
    have slowly but surely undergone
    radical transformation regarding such
    critical public health issues as smoking
    and using seatbelts, bicycle helmets,
    and child car restraints, so too must
    owning and carrying handguns come
    to be seen as dangerous and aberrant
    behavior
    (emphasis added)."

There ya go, "you are aberrant because you want a gun, there for your application for a license to buy a gun is denied"

Automatic failure of the mental health exam, "comrade, now go with the nice man in the white coat, and he will help you fix that aberrant behavior"

Yes well this is standard tripe. even documented in Catch-22. It can be countered, but do not take seriously. Satire is your friend.

"Are the police aberrant? Are Republicans? How about progressives? You know that's how the soviets dealt with refuseniks. I wonder if it will work here? Should I buy my yellow star now to beat the rush?"

its not a surprise and its not new,but this is why we need to talk to the people,and educate them. But never get exited. Always let their views be extreme, not ours. Make fun of it. As you speak think "oh how cute they are trying to suppress political opinion, wonder what kind of police state they will be when they grow up?" Stay above it. You can not be hurt by such fools. Never overreact never talk about the original purpose of the 2a. if you do they , because they do not agree will think you are aberrent, by definition. Its not fair, its part of the big lie technique but it works.

I think we need to do some brainstorming on this.

usmc_mech02

Jan 4, 2013
    That reminds me alot of feinsteins 60 minutes interview back in the mid 90's. same views. Same level of idiocy

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    This leads me to ask one thing........why would they do this ?

Why are they re-stating what is already current law. In another post Norton made a good point by saying most people are scared of the things they are pushing right now but they are already law. I believe that something else is going on.

I have to ut-most respect for Norton and this is in no way against what he said. But they always have an agenda and by re-stating what they know is already law is damned scary to me...

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I can rest in the knowledge that DC's handgun ban was defeated by the US Supreme Court. I hope that sends the message to all state legislatures that handguns are protected by 2nd amendment rights.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Doesn't it state in the Constitution that those governing the laws must abide by the Constitution or can be removed from office?
    Time to start requesting resignations.Including Hussein's.

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    The attached 63-page planning paper was written and published by J. Joseph Curran in 1999. For those not familiar, Curran was Maryland's fanatically anti-gun Attorney General from 1987-2007 before he retired and Gansler took the reigns. Curran was a darling of the Cease Fire crowd and worked closely with them throughout the years.

In this plan Curran does a good job of outlining the anti-gun crowd's multifaceted plan for gradually chipping away at, and in some cases eventually banning, private gun ownership, especially of handguns. From "educating the children" to think correctly to taking background checks to draconian levels to suing the manufacturers and dealers into oblivion, it's all in there.

The report was available for a long time on the State AG's website. It's was eventually taken down, perhaps at least partially in the hope that the Pro-2A movement would forget such a bold and detailed statement from an elected official regarding the true methods and goals of gun control in this state existed. However, the Internet Archive is a wonderful thing.

Bear in mind his closing statement:

p.63
    Thank You for this valuabule information.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    This leads me to ask one thing........why would they do this ?

Why are they re-stating what is already current law. In another post Norton made a good point by saying most people are scared of the things they are pushing right now but they are already law. I believe that something else is going on.

I have to ut-most respect for Norton and this is in no way against what he said. But they always have an agenda and by re-stating what they know is already law is damned scary to me...

Yep, I've known this for quite awhile. Why? What is going on? Don't know.
    Things just don't pass the smell test! GUT feeling...

Army talk.......Situation Awareness. :innocent0

Infantry

Feb 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    2A is the Foundation

You know, I see this refrain often, and feel I need to start correcting it. For many/most voters, including many on this forum, 2A is not the end all and be all of issues. Sure, there are plenty of single issue voters, but to me (and others), RKBA is to be considered in addition to 1A issues, education, healthcare, business regulation, father's rights, etc.

Does it occur to folks that 2A isn't the only reason for someone picking a candidate? Let's face it, most are far less informed or concerned about gun rights that MDS members. For all the noise generated by recent court decisions, it looks like only a few hundred people applied for a CCW (discussion was somewhere in here)

If they accomplish disarmament the rest of the rights fall without a shot fired. As for CCW in Maryland, the reason no one applies is that we assume that it is generally a waste of time here. Based on the misery now involved in purchasing a handgun it is clear they want to dissuade you. If you read the application, the thing that is clear is that your employer will end up involved in the process which is bad if they aren't pro CCW or gun rights, for instance if you were a teacher at a school or college.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You know, I see this refrain often, and feel I need to start correcting it. For many/most voters, including many on this forum, 2A is not the end all and be all of issues. Sure, there are plenty of single issue voters, but to me (and others), RKBA is to be considered in addition to 1A issues, education, healthcare, business regulation, father's rights, etc.

Does it occur to folks that 2A isn't the only reason for someone picking a candidate? Let's face it, most are far less informed or concerned about gun rights that MDS members. For all the noise generated by recent court decisions, it looks like only a few hundred people applied for a CCW (discussion was somewhere in here)

Yeah, I actually read the MSP website the other day. Read over the application process for a CCW, the application, and the examples given wherein they would issue a CCW. Well, I do have my own business, but it does not involve a lot of cash transaction since almost everything is done via checks. I do represent clients in criminal matters, but not a single one of them has ever threatened to do anything to me. I am a father of three young kids, but that isn't a good enough reason it appears. Since there is almost no hope of getting the CCW, there is really no reason to even apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom