• ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I thought Tom Selleck.

Wife said Parnell Roberts.
    Daughter said a bald Sam Elliot.

Son would have said "Me" ( meaning him) ( he's a carbon copy of me, just with more hair, and less belly)

Which one represents the IMR4064, which one is Varget.:lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Oh crap , wrong thread !

Better go to the Who do you look like thread, to express my dismay that it took 19 posts for a mention of 748 .

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    My out of the box savage shoots well under MOA with 43.5gr of IMR 4064 and a 175gr Sierra BTHP. I'm pretty sure I pulled that flyer a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_8359.jpg
      IMG_8359.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 203

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Varget isn’t as temperature sensitive as some of the traditional ball powders, but is sometimes harder to get in stock.

Also ball powders like IMR4895 meter better in most powder throwers.

I tend to stock up on Varget when I can and throw light and trickle up, so the disadvantaged to Varget aren’t a big deal for me.

Varget also works excellent for .233 and .30/‘06

IMR4895 is a stick powder

I have had good luck with Varget, H4895, IMR4895 and Norma 203B.

Good luck

Jerry

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Tried Varget, 4166, and had best results with CFE223. While everything else was 1 - 1 1/2 moa CFE had groups down to half moa. With that said, I would start with a temperature stable powder and go from there.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    IMR4895 is a stick powder

Jerry

Indeed it is :o

I was a bit preoccupied this weekend.

My point though about choosing a powder that works well for your press / style of reloading is still valid though.

Extruded powders like Varget or 4895 don't tend to meter as well as some flake and ball powders do.

If you're reloading on a single stage press and trickling up charges, who cares. If you're reloading on a progressive, like a Dillon, and cranking out hundreds of rounds in a short amount of time...maybe something to think about more.

RL15, while an extruded powder, has a good reputation for metering well.

W748 has a good reputation for a ball powder.

I just started with Varget and stuck with it over the years since it works for me and I've worked up recipes already.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also ball powders like IMR4895 meter better in most powder throwers.

Since when is IMR 4895 a ball powder???

H4895 is a bit less temp sensitive that IMR 4895.

RL15 is also good, but somewhat temp sensitive. I picked up some during the shortage.

For a ball powder, I use WW748 for plinking loads with 147 - 150 gr FMJ BT military type bullets.

But I have heard people having good luck with H335. But I use that more in 5.56.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Since when is IMR 4895 a ball powder???

H4895 is a bit less temp sensitive that IMR 4895.

RL15 is also good, but somewhat temp sensitive. I picked up some during the shortage.

For a ball powder, I use WW748 for plinking loads with 147 - 150 gr FMJ BT military type bullets.

But I have heard people having good luck with H335. But I use that more in 5.56.

I know...I know...I was preoccupied this weekend. See my reply a few posts up.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Please verify my understanding is correct. It is derived from several sources and may be incomplete. I want to fully understand the implication of selecting 308 win vs 7.62x51ammo to shoot and reload in my .308 rifle.

1. The rounds will both operate safely in a rifle designed for .308 Winchester
    2. Because the 7.62 has thinner case walls and is loaded with a lower powder charge, the 7.62 may not take as many reloadings as a .308.
    3. 7.62 may be loaded with berdan primers, which could be corrosive and cannot be removed punched with a traditional single pin decapping die.
    4. 7.62 primers may be loaded with primer sealant which makes decapping even boxer primed carts more difficult than without sealant.
    5. It is not safe to use 308 Winchester in a rifle designed for 7.62x51 because of the higher pressures in the 308 cartridge.

rundownfid

May 3, 2010
    While Varget is my favorite load for accuracy, a ball powder would be good if you what to throw your charges and not weight every one. 2520 or 748, really any ball powder in the burn rate of Varget, probably a bit faster if you are shooting 150 gr bullets, perhaps TAC or H335. Like .223 , 308 is right in the ;sweet spot for powders, with literally a dozen good choices.

As to ras oscar
    1. True
    2. Possibly true in some cases, but quality of brass and how it is annealed is more important.
    3. Berdan has nothing to do with a primer being corrosive, it is a different system but old berdan primed brass may have been loaded with corrosive primers, however, so might old boxer primed brass. Avoid Berdan if you reload as they are only re-loadable if you are willing to go to a lot more trouble.
    4. True, but the real culprit is that many are crimped. There are a variety of ways to remove ;the crimp, but it does add a step to the process.
    5. Theoretically true, but that the data in modern reloading manuals will be fine, with the possible exception of heavy bullets and slow powders in an M-14. In an AR-10 you will be fine with .308 level pressures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom