• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have noticed little flakes of brownish material in my powder dispenser. Up until yesterday I assumed it was bits of my walnut tumbling media that got in there from recycling test charges.

Yesterday I went to the reloading den to consolidate my powder. Poured an unopened bottle into the "being used" bottle. (both the same powder purchased at the same time) Lo and behold, the unopened bottle had the same flakes in it!! Is this a filler place in for a purpose, debris from the manufacturing process, or something else? if I were to take ALL the flakes from the 1 pound bottle and put it on the scale, i speculate it would weigh less than a quarter grain, so it doesn't bother me, I'm just curious.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    if I were to take ALL the flakes from the 1 pound bottle and put it on the scale, i speculate it would weigh less than a quarter grain, so it doesn't bother me, I'm just curious.

1/4 grain per 7000 grains isn't much of a filler.
    It's some sort of contaminant from the powder can or the powder itself.

If this is new powder maybe the company would want to know about it. Who knows they might send you a couple pounds of powder.

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    I never consolidate powders, unless the batch numbers are the same. Anal retentive, sure. I just run our as much as I can per batch for consistency.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I never consolidate powders, unless the batch numbers are the same. Anal retentive, sure. I just run our as much as I can per batch for consistency.

If you mix the pounds together really well and then put them back in the pound containers, you will have the same consistency throughout all of the pounds.

Like mixing multiple gallons of paint to create a uniform color.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you mix the pounds together really well and then put them back in the pound containers, you will have the same consistency throughout all of the pounds.

Like mixing multiple gallons of paint to create a uniform color.

According the experts, you cannot blend powders that well.

Personally, I think you can blend it well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom