• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I found a very nice Remington 1903A3 about 10-12 yrs ago and decided it needed a companion in the form of a Smith Corona 1903A3. But over all this time I just couldn't find what I wanted at the price I wanted. In the meantime prices on 1903A3s crept up and what was a typical $600-650 purchase is now a $750-850 hole in the bank account, if not more for an outstanding example.
    -Then I ran across a gun auction catalog from the house where I acquired my Springfield 1911, outside of Hagerstown. The vast majority of lots were sporting arms and modern handguns. But there was a Smith Corona 1903A3 near the back of the catalog that looked very promising, even in the poor catalog photos.
    -So I made a field trip of it enjoying the fall weather in my old Porsche. I'm glad I made the trip because the 03A3 was even nicer in the flesh. As close as you could get to unissued. The correct original blued and parked finishes and crisp stock markings. Not a single Remington marked part so I'm certain it's never been rebuilt or messed with. Four groove High Standard manufactured barrel, SC marked and 6-43 dated
    -The kicker is the unusual and very uncommon "C" prefix on the serial number. This came about as Remington accidentally used some of the SNs reserved to Smith Corona. So a "C" was stamped to ensure no inventory control problems. It's estimated that roughly 4,000 out of roughly 235k Smith Coronas have this prefix. About 2% of total production. I'd never seen one in person up to this point and my Brophy reference book on the 1903 Springfield doesn't even mention it. That made me want it all the more.
    Ended up getting it for just south of $800. Not a home run bargain but I'm super stoked. This was the one I'd been waiting for all these years.

Attachments

• IMGP8366.JPG
      IMGP8366.JPG
      21.5 KB · Views: 1,228
    • IMGP8368.JPG
      IMGP8368.JPG
      40.4 KB · Views: 1,795
    • IMGP8367.JPG
      IMGP8367.JPG
      62.9 KB · Views: 1,835
    • IMGP8371.JPG
      IMGP8371.JPG
      49 KB · Views: 1,194
    • IMGP8373.JPG
      IMGP8373.JPG
      32.9 KB · Views: 1,188
    • IMGP8374.JPG
      IMGP8374.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 1,178
    • IMGP8375.JPG
      IMGP8375.JPG
      21 KB · Views: 1,174

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Those are the nicest stock markings I have seen. Extremely crisp. Very nice SC. I had one a while back and while not completely original, it was a very good shooter.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Springfields, just gotta love em! One of the top 10 prettiest rifles of all time! :thumbsup:

I think the Springfield 1903 is the most attractive of the Mauser military rifles. Love the look of the original 1903 with the finger groove stock. The US Army got it right with the 25" barrel length when the Germans were still fielding the long GEW 98. The perfect compromise, so classic.
    BTW, there was an awesome byf 42 K98k at the same auction. Totally matching, no import marks, a pure bring back. I don't collect Mausers anymore but this one was very tempting. Someone lucky took it home for $600 OTD. One heck of a buy. Ditto for a matching WWI dated Erfurt P08 with holster for $750 and a Colt Gold Cup for $605 (!!!).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I think the Springfield 1903 is the most attractive of the Mauser military rifles. Love the look of the original 1903 with the finger groove stock. The US Army got it right with the 25" barrel length when the Germans were still fielding the long GEW 98. The perfect compromise, so classic.
    BTW, there was an awesome byf 42 K98k at the same auction. Totally matching, no import marks, a pure bring back. I don't collect Mausers anymore but this one was very tempting. Someone lucky took it home for $600 OTD. One heck of a buy. Ditto for a matching WWI dated Erfurt P08 with holster for $750 and a Colt Gold Cup for $605 (!!!).

If that's the Stauffer auction that just ended I came away with that Colt Gold Cup. It wasn't $605 it was $550! I wanted the Colt Delta Elite but was outbid.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Not that I've ever seen a bad 'Corona, but that one's outstanding. With or without the "C".

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If that's the Stauffer auction that just ended I came away with that Colt Gold Cup. It wasn't $605 it was $550! I wanted the Colt Delta Elite but was outbid.

My notes show it hammered at $550 and with the 10% premium it would be $605 OTD, less sales tax. That's why I put up $605. That one shocked me. I kept waiting for another bid from the internet or from one of the dealers in the room. But nada. You did great, along with the P08 and the K98 a stupid good deal.
    I have a 70 series GC that I bought new in my youth and they're amazingly nice pistols. You're gonna be a happy camper!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Not that I've ever seen a bad 'Corona, but that one's outstanding. With or without the "C".

I'm not the Springfield collector you are so that's high praise to my ears.
    I've never been terribly superstitious but my bidder number that day was 303, super lucky for a fellow with a pile of Lee Enfields and Ross rifles. T'was meant to be.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

THAT was a steal, I paid far more for mine and it's no beauty queen.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    My notes show it hammered at $550 and with the 10% premium it would be $605 OTD, less sales tax. That's why I put up $605. That one shocked me. I kept waiting for another bid from the internet or from one of the dealers in the room. But nada. You did great, along with the P08 and the K98 a stupid good deal.
    I have a 70 series GC that I bought new in my youth and they're amazingly nice pistols. You're gonna be a happy camper!

Up here that's known as a "Buyers penalty". I tend not to attend those places. Depending on regions whether they do it or not.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Those are some of the clearest stamps I've ever seen! Really good catch.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've never been terribly superstitious but my bidder number that day was 303, super lucky for a fellow with a pile of Lee Enfields and Ross rifles. T'was meant to be.

I'm not superstitious either and couldn't agree more.

There's something about a business machine company's brief dalliance into firearms that's very compelling. Same goes for Remington Rand's 1911A1 and IBM's M1 carbine. My firearm collection, such as it is, was initially intended to be limited to WWII firearms made by typewriter companies. But best laid plans and all that jazz..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom