• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Many MDS members know I recently acquired a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps.

Thanks to guidance from a "certain MDS mentor" :secret: (who just happens to shoot a LOT of competition 45-70 rounds in different rifles), I'm getting pretty good at casting boolits and loading my own BP and smokeless 45-70 rounds.

Something new is always an opportunity to learn. At first you don't know what you don't know. While peeling the onion I found this pic of Calamity Jane posing with an 1874 Sharps. She's quite an interesting historical character to learn about.

The pic makes me wonder where that rifle is today...

If you've never fired an 1874 Sharps, it's an experience you'll always remember. I fired mine today - more than once.

Just thought I'd share.

:)

Attachments

• 1874 Sharps - Calamity Jane Capture.JPG
      1874 Sharps - Calamity Jane Capture.JPG
      71.8 KB · Views: 656
    • DSC07875 SNIP.jpg
      DSC07875 SNIP.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 611

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I had a chance to buy one years ago and missed out. I loved shooting it. Awesome rifle.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    :mad54:Her finger is on the effing tri--nevermind....I'm just not going to look at that part
    :D

Already knew that was coming.:lol2: Since the pic is over 100 years old, I don't think we're gonna have influence on Jane's concept of trigger control...

;)

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I recently picked up a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps as well. Haven't had an opportunity to get it to the range yet, but I am beginning the research into (re)loading smokeless powder as well. I'm not currently interested in casting my own bullets, but would be interested in what you might be finding in terms of brand of powder, grains loaded, bullet size, etc. Once I get something to likewise share I'll be glad to post it up as well.

-tnx,
    Jeff

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Is it wrong to think LGBT when I see this pic? j/k. I'm envious, as my shoulders could not take the recoil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is it wrong to think LGBT when I see this pic? j/k. I'm envious, as my shoulders could not take the recoil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Supposedly she had many boyfriends in her short life. She died at the age of 51 from pneumonia.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Supposedly she had many boyfriends in her short life. She died at the age of 51 from pneumonia.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.... about the many boyfriends, everyone knows where the calamity part of her name came from right?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I recently picked up a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps as well. Haven't had an opportunity to get it to the range yet, but I am beginning the research into (re)loading smokeless powder as well. I'm not currently interested in casting my own bullets, but would be interested in what you might be finding in terms of brand of powder, grains loaded, bullet size, etc. Once I get something to likewise share I'll be glad to post it up as well.

-tnx,
    Jeff

According to Pedersoli their 1874 Sharps will handle smokeless loads up to 29,007 CUP and BP loads up to 25,000 CUP. There is plenty of published load data on a wide variety of bullets and powder choices in books and online from powder and bullet manufacturers.

For smokeless powder I started with IMR-3031 because I have it on hand and have many years of experience with it. Most of the bullets I've loaded are cast 405's or 500's. While some published data says you can load up to 49 grs of 3031 behind a 400 gr boolit and still be at 26,300 CUP, that's a little stout for me. I've kept my loads in the 39 to 40 gr range.

For BP, I've used 65 grains (by volume) of FFg with a fiber wad. Low pressure and lots of white smoke. Fun!

.458 seems to be the preferred bullet diameter for JB's. My CB's are 459. Lee makes an 405/457 mold which I have. .457 CB's seem a little small in diameter but so far shoot as well as the Oregon Trail .459 CB's:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...rail-laser-cast-rifle-bullets-per/1330861.uts

Again, I'm by no means an expert. I'm learning how to load and shoot 45-70 rounds in my Sharps. YMMV.

There are several MDS members who have a lot more experience with this rifle and reloads for it than I.

Hope that helps.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Always thought that Calamity Jane looked like Al Delvecio from Happy Days. She was an interesting character, but no beauty. The same has been said about me I'm sure.

But you're beautiful on the inside.... :D

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    For smokeless powder I started with IMR-3031 because I have it on hand and have many years of experience with it. Most of the bullets I've loaded are cast 405's or 500's. While some published data says you can load up to 49 grs of 3031 behind a 400 gr boolit and still be at 26,300 CUP, that's a little stout for me. I've kept my loads in the 39 to 40 gr range.

.458 seems to be the preferred bullet diameter for JB's. My CB's are 459. Lee makes an 405/457 mold which I have. .457 CB's seem a little small in diameter but so far shoot as well as the Oregon Trail .459 CB's....

I've been looking at the IMR-3031 and -4198 but as of yet hadn't made any real decision. To date I've only used Unique for my 9mm and .38spl loads and I'm not seeing a lot on using that powder. It's looking like the 3031 may be the ticket. :)

So given the polygonal(?) rifling used I had been siting away from the .459 sized bullets....but if I understand correctly you are using cast bullets of that diameter?

-tnx,
    Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom