• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jump62

Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island, De
    I have a friend who is involved with the Appleseed Project and is looking for a period flintlock musket to show and possible demo of the loading and firing of the weapon so I'm looking for a shooter. I have used my Google-Fu to search the net but I haven't really found a built weapon. While I have looked at sites to buy perhaps I should look at ( for ) flintlock musket forums or reenactting groups as a better search hit word. So I'm asking the hive mind here at MD Shooters for ideas or paths to follow.
    Thanks,
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you get a reply with something you DON"T want (you get first), then let me know.
    I turned down a used reproduction last year from someone in Baltimore and REGRET IT FULLY!
    Good Luck.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pedersoli makes beautiful Brown Bess recreations.

Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro, North Carolina carries them. 336-854-4182.

I have a 1766 Charleville musket and can vouch for Pedersoli quality.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Try Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, Cabin Creek Muzzleloading, Contemporary Longrifle Foundation, Dixons Muzzle Loading Shop

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If you want the "official" arm of the Continental Army, get yourself a 1766 Charleville from Pedersoli. They're not cheap, but they're the best.

For the purposes of an Appleseed, if you want to demonstrate the connection to the Continental Army you'd want the Charleville over the Bess. While some parts of our military did use Land Pattern (the "official" name of the Bess) muskets, the majority of us, especially during the latter parts of the war when we started winning, were armed with Charlevilles that were provided to us by the French. The Charleville was also the basis for the various "Committee of Safety" muskets that got cranked out all over the place domestically (including at Jerusalem Mill in Baltimore County) and would eventually influence the design of every major US Military long arm right down to the '03 Springfield.

A great re-enacting group that you could hit up is the 1st Maryland: http://www.1mr.org/

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Maryland Arms Collector Show, March 18-19 at the Fair Grounds if you want an original.

I see an original as an investment but I'm curious. Will this show have replicas?
    I"m already planning to attend for something else I'm looking for.

Jump62

Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island, De
    Thanks all for the reply's, you have given me places to look. If you have ever taken an Appleseed they are looking at Lexington and Concord and what the Colonial Militia or the arms carried by the 17 Grenadier and Light Infantry platoons would have carried for the history part of the day. I don't have a price point to work with but $500 or less would be in the ball park ( I think ). Thanks again.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks all for the reply's, you have given me places to look. If you have ever taken an Appleseed they are looking at Lexington and Concord and what the Colonial Militia or the arms carried by the 17 Grenadier and Light Infantry platoons would have carried for the history part of the day. I don't have a price point to work with but $500 or less would be in the ball park ( I think ). Thanks again.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Check your PMs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom