• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    Decided to go ahead and apply for my DC CCW yesterday. Application process was pretty smooth all except for my initial interaction with the two female workers there. One of the female workers said that I needed two forms of ID for proof of residency. I told her that I don't live in DC. She immediately got defensive and said "you don't have to live in DC sir, I need proof of residency". I said "residency of where?" She said "wherever you live sir". So now I'm a bit annoyed and say "so you need two forms of proof that I live in this world?" She then reaches below the desk and pulls out the application (which I have read from front to back) and points to where it says two forms of ID. I then point out to her that it clearly states that "If you answered YES to question 18 then you need a second form of ID to prove residency in the District". Then I showed her where I answered "NO" to question 18 bc I live in Maryland. At that point she called for the police officer to help me because she was "done with this guy, he don't wanna listen" Meanwhile her coworker is adlibbing rude comments about how she should be patient bc "I'm still learning"

So I take a seat and wait for the officer, about 10 minutes later he calls me up and wouldn't you know it, he's actually willing to listen and read the damn application! He admits that this process has changed recently and all of this is still new to them bc things are changing daily. He accepts my application, reviews the entire app with me and is super friendly, professional and patient. Not sure if it would be appropriate to name the officer here, but I would certainly thank him publically if I could.

Thank you sir!!!

I was told that it would be a 90 day process so I guess the clock starts TODAY. :party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    She was correct. It also states if you answer yes to question 20 you still need to provide 2 forms of ID.

Maybe you need to reread it and go down and apologize.

I did what was required and no one hassled me.

Attachments

• Concealed Carry License Application Instructions_10 05 17 (1).pdf
      149.8 KB · Views: 300
    • dc3.jpg
      dc3.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 774

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is from the application.

Sorry, you were wrong, not the DC people.

I'm the first guy to complain about Govt. incompetence, but in this case it's not DC Govt who is in the wrong here.

Attachments

• dc2.jpg
      dc2.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 756

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    This is from the application.

Sorry, you were wrong, not the DC people.

I'm the first guy to complain about Govt. incompetence, but in this case it's not DC Govt who is in the wrong here.

Maybe you need not assume, it was question 18 that was the issue, not question 20. I had copies of my carry licenses from other states and a second form of proof for my home in Maryland, she wanted proof of residency or business in DC which I did not have bc I live in Maryland. When I told her I lived in Maryland she caught and attitude and got defensive which is why I said what I said. She asked for proof of DC residency and pointed to question 18, that's why I mentioned that I lived in MD. If she hadn't gotten snippy then we could have gotten to the bottom of it pretty quickly, just as the officer and myself did.

Maybe you deal with crappy attitudes a bit better than I do, but I don't ever see a need to be rude to anyone so I don't take kindly to ppl being rude to me. It doesn't matter who was correct or who was incorrect, the bottom line is they are govt workers tasked with the responsibility to provide customer service to anyone that enters that office. If they cannot maintain a professional demeanor then they ought not be there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    2 forms of residency are required no matter where you live. According to you, she said you needed 2 forms of residency wherever you live.

That is correct. Maybe her attitude was based on your reaction, rather than the other way around.

I said "residency of where?" She said "wherever you live sir".

Perhaps she was having a bad day. It happens. But this is the first report of surly employees I've read about.

Maybe everyone needs a do over.

Just an observation.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    2 forms of residency are required no matter where you live. According to you, she said you needed 2 forms of residency wherever you live.

That is correct. Maybe her attitude was based on your reaction, rather than the other way around.

Perhaps she was having a bad day. It happens. But this is the first report of surly employees I've read about.

Maybe everyone needs a do over.

Just an observation.

Did I not say that I had two forms of ID? My issue with her was she caught an attitude when I pointed out that I live in MD after she asked for proof of DC residency. I had two forms of ID. Perhaps she misspoke when she said "DC Residency" not sure, but it was her issue not mine.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It sounds like the OP didn't start off on the right foot with the officer. Not finding fault but a different approach may have yielded better results.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    It sounds like the OP didn't start off on the right foot with the officer. Not finding fault but a different approach may have yielded better results.
    :thumbsup:

Being kind, and letting those 'in charge' think they are smarter/better than you often results in positive outcomes, such as sold out items miraculously being in stock again.

If that hurts one's pride (which goeth before a destruction), there is always Blanton's Bourbon at days end.

I am NOT attacking Hakuna Matata

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah, the one thing about dealing with customer service is the old adage

you get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

not blaming, just my observation from years of experience

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    I went this morning. Found a parking spot right out front. That never happens! The staff , from beginning to end, were very pleasant and courteous. I WAS informed that I would need to verify my residence. I had several documents. I had a driver’s license, a pilot’s license, PA concealed carry license, passport, etc. None of these would work. Luckily, I had a car title in my briefcase, which saitisfied their requirements.

OF NOTE: I was informed that my MSP certification, showing 25/25 score would not be accepted to waive the 16 hour training requirement, because DC requires that you fire at least 50 rounds for the training. I informed him that I took a 300 round course. I just had to find a class description that stated that. I submitted via email. Hopefully, that will be sufficient to have the training requirement waived.

It was actually a fairly pleasant experience. I didn’t give them attitude and they did not give me any.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Where does the 300 round requirement come from?

Also, does the second ID need to have an address. I've go5t nothing. Passport has old address. Titles have old address. Boating license has old address. WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom