• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I’ve been removing trees from my property for the last six months, and I have zero need for any of this wood. Outside of craigslist or illegal dumping, what is the most economical or maybe even profitable way to get rid of entire trees of oak, hickory, and maple? The Calvert Co landfill wants $72/ton which has me wondering what the pro tree companies do with the logs, branches and sticks they’re producing. I’m sure someone is willing to buy this wood I’m generating and turn it into firewood.

I’ve found a few places that appear to be recyclers in the manner that they take wood and turn it into firewood, wood chips for bio-mass boilers, or potentially into wood pellets. I have yet to call any of these folks though. I wanted to check the information database here first.

So MDS: What’s our there that will take my hardwood for free, or pay me for it? Or charge me less than $72/ton?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Im definitely in need for some firewood. Im sure theres other members on here that would be willing to take some as well. Hardwoods are easy to get rid of, especially this time of year.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Im definitely in need for some firewood. Im sure theres other members on here that would be willing to take some as well. Hardwoods are easy to get rid of, especially this time of year.

Unfortunately this wood has been cut for less than two months, and was very much alive and healthy right up to that point. It’s no good for this winters heating season.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

What about the sticks and brush and small parts less than a wrist in diameter? The “junk” adds up and the time (and beer!) it has taken me to process it all through a burn barrel just isn’t sustainable going forward.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was giving away hardwoods until my regular guy flaked (weeks worth of excuses, no shows, etc).

I got tired of looking at it so I put and ad on Craigslist, about a week in I got a call from a guy in PA who said he'd take it all. I had about 8 full trees left that shad been limbed out and cut down, some of them I began cutting up myself. He paid me $300 bucks and agreed to take it ALL.

Took him four trips and I offered help towards the end with loading.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No one (that I have ever heard of) is going to take limbs and brush, it's big time labor intensive unless you've got access to a big chipper and chip truck.

I had already paid an average of $375 per tree to have them properly felled and limbed out (chipped and hauled away). Mind you, some of this was ~100 foot poplar thats was within 20 feet of my house.

I've had 16 trees cut down in the past two springs, essentially I moved into the woods then realized I hate leaves and trees...... at least right up against my home anyway.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pile them up in a neat stack on a wooded corner of your property. Termites, gotta eat too..

If you have brush, have a bon fire, and enjoy a few beers and hotdogs.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'd say 95-99% of all the "free wood" ads Facebook marketplace/Craigslist have always been difficult either by location as in not applicable to even park a truck within feet of it, bunch of overgrown sticker bushes and/or someone wants you to also clear out a bunch of shit/cut others trees up. I really don't mind paying for "free wood"

It sometimes works out if you help peeps, I've had some random call backs months/years later on another decent fallen tree that some guy saved my number

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've had 16 trees cut down in the past two springs, essentially I moved into the woods then realized I hate leaves and trees...... at least right up against my home anyway.

LOL! I know that feeling!
    When we moved to Alabama, on the gulf coast, we had a shit ton of huge pine trees all around the house. While waiting out our first hurricane my wife and I watched a pine tree right at the corner of our deck sway back and forth in the wind. We just knew any second it was going to snap in half and come through the roof. My wife looked at me and said as soon as this storm passes I want you to get your chainsaw and cut the Mother F'r down! I ended up cutting down about 50 pine trees out of our yard.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Funny thing about our house was that I really just assumed it was the leaves themselves I loathed...... then I learned all the nasty shit trees drop during spring time also!

What a mess. I've got gutter guards on 100% of the house......STILL somehow end up needing to clean leaves and tree "debris" off about once a month.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    With winter around the corner, people with wood burning stoves will be looking for free wood. I would post it around to see who will come pick it up for free or you can chop it and sell it.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    For limbs it may be worth looking into renting a chipper. If you have or want a garden load down the beds with the chips. I think its called back to eden gardening or something like that.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Call one of the local tree service businesses that sell firewood and see if they will come take it?

Where are you at in Calvert? My land lord is friends with a guy in St. Mary's who has a tree service company and they sell firewood.

Depending on location, he may take it?

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I'd definitely post to Facebook marketplace and or Craigslist.

I posted and had a guy from PA come down and cut up and haul away 4 poplar trees that I cut down. He even drug the brush into the edge of my woods. Sometimes you get really lucky.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    'Calvert Wood Recycling' shreds whole trees into mulch. That's where the folks clearing land dump the 99% of trees that are not suitable for the sawmill.

Most confusingly, they are in Chuck Co on Ripley Rd. not anywhere close to Calvert....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom