• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    AAR on my blog:

https://hebrewhammerblog.com/2019/07/07/pntc-intro-to-long-range-aar-rpr-edition/

I found out the hard way that FGMM 168gr does not get you to a thousand yards reliably at the altitudes around here. It was otherwise an amazing class at an amazing facility.

No, for .308 at that distance you should be shooting FGMM 175 Grain.
    You should come out to Frontier Sunday on the 14th. (I think they have them every month) it’s essentially long range practice out to 1200 yards

Great write up by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I second Brian's question and also what was your setup, and the typical setup of others that took the course?
    Cost was $200 (members) or $225 (non-members). I think it was worth the money even without the free Kestrel 2700.

My rig was probably on the upper half of what people brought; it was a lot of scope, and the RPR really performs if you get a good one (which I did, albeit after a trip back to the factory). I think you would do fine with a properly set up Savage or whatever, though. I think the scope is a lot more important than the rifle, once you hit that 1MOA mark.

No, for .308 at that distance you should be shooting FGMM 175 Grain.
    Yeah, the FGMM 168gr was cheap, but I was unaware of the 168gr SMK's issues going transonic. Live and learn! In a way, it was rather educational unto itself seeing that failure, because I'm not used to 308's limitations (which, for once, were limiting me and not the other way around).

I assume that the range we shot on was the Frontier range, given the description. I would be making a fair number of changes to my gear before trying to reliably hit that 1200yd target, and not just ammo. But it was certainly quite a lot of fun. I could definitely see screwing around with all sorts of rifles trying to make those hits, even if it were just from 400-800.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thanks again for the info. My son and I are looking for a class and this fits the bill.

Our set ups will be on the lower end. We want to get to a 1000 yards with budget rifles, Savage Axis and Ruger American.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks again for the info. My son and I are looking for a class and this fits the bill.

Our set ups will be on the lower end. We want to get to a 1000 yards with budget rifles, Savage Axis and Ruger American.
    What caliber, and what scope? 308 is slightly marginal for a thousand, albeit if you just want to get a hit so you can say you got a hit (which was my goal, TBH), it'll get you there. The right load in 6.5CM or even 6.5G would presumably be more consistent at those ranges. From what I can tell, if your bullet goes transonic and has the wrong profile and the wind isn't with you down range, you can "do your part" and still rack up a miss.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    What caliber, and what scope? 308 is slightly marginal for a thousand, albeit if you just want to get a hit so you can say you got a hit (which was my goal, TBH), it'll get you there. The right load in 6.5CM or even 6.5G would presumably be more consistent at those ranges. From what I can tell, if your bullet goes transonic and has the wrong profile and the wind isn't with you down range, you can "do your part" and still rack up a miss.

Honestly both of us just want to be consistent out to 600 yards or so. If we hit the target at 1000 one time thats fine, I can check that off my list.

The guns are both .308’s with a basic Burris drop tine scope.

Honestly both of us just want to be consistent out to 600 yards or so. If we hit the target at 1000 one time thats fine, I can check that off my list.

The guns are both .308’s with a basic Burris drop tine scope.

I used my TC Compass 6.5CM w/Vortex 3-9x40 at Frontier Day and was consistently hitting steel at 1200yds. What I observed was the .308 shooters were killing it until 800yds or so. That is where the 6.5's started to shine.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    They have the NRA intro to long range this Saturday. Same location and essentially the same instructors. I am signed up for it. I spoke to one of the instructors during the Steal Challenge. The big difference is the NRA class spends more time up front getting your gear tuned at the 100 yd range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I used my TC Compass 6.5CM w/Vortex 3-9x40 at Frontier Day and was consistently hitting steel at 1200yds. What I observed was the .308 shooters were killing it until 800yds or so. That is where the 6.5's started to shine.
    This is more or less what happened with me. Hit transonic and then things just fell apart. I think you could reliably hit 1000 with the right, carefully-designed handload, but most factory ammo is going to be dicey.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This is more or less what happened with me. Hit transonic and then things just fell apart. I think you could reliably hit 1000 with the right, carefully-designed handload, but most factory ammo is going to be dicey.

The FGMM 175’s don’t go transonic until about 1050 yards. (Depending upon conditions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The FGMM 175’s don’t go transonic until about 1050 yards. (Depending upon conditions)
    Yeah, I think I could have made the shot with those. Wouldn't have gotten me to the 1200 yard target, though. I might convert a spare AR-308 upper to 6.5 CM just to give it a try.

I am by no means an expert, but this is my understanding...
    The trajectory is predictable as long as the projectile is supersonic; once it is subsonic, all bets are off. EX- In the same conditions, a bullet travelling at 3000fps at the muzzle will repeatedly have virtually the same velocity at 100yds, 200yds, 500yds, etc- until it becomes subsonic. At subsonic speeds, the trajectory is much less repeatable, thus much less accurate.
    Most .308 bullets leave the barrel faster than 6.5CM, but they can't maintain velocity as well.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Now you guys make me want to pick up a 50. What's the intro $$ to a 50?

The problem is that most ranges wont let you shoot a 50 cal, destroys backstops and steel. Even the .338 is in the category...personally 300 win mag is probably the best compromise between practicing and beating wind drift while still having energy downrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom