• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Not completely true. CCW instructors can register a firearm for training purposes not related to CCW according to an instructor on the forum

Why would someone who doesnt live in DC have to go to them and say Hey I dont live in DC but just want you guys to know that I own a gun?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I must have blinked . Where is the open to public/ CCW Instructors shooting range in DC ?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You still need the classroom portion which includes nomenclature and familiarity. No range required for that portion

BTW this info came from Cypherpunk, who is a DC Certified CCW instructor

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Don't think non residents of DC can register firearms in DC unless they are registering a firearm for CC that they received a DC license for and I don't think open carry in Virginia applies to out of state residents but that might have been what you were saying in your statement and I'm reading it wrong.

sorry to be late but of course non residents can and have registered guns in DC having nothing to do with CC. Marylander and Virginians who work or have a place of business or employment in DC that do not prohibit firearms have been doing so since 2008. In fact if you are a consultant and have a residential address in DC where you do some work, even though your that seems ok too. You can carry that gun on your hip on the premises.

You can also keep the gun mainly at that place in DC, take it back and forth from work (unloaded and secured when traveling) to home. The only weird thing is the 48 hour notification law which makes taking the gun out of the DC premises for the weekend (5 pm friday to 8 am monday is >48 hours) without informing MPD is illegal.

If you live in Maryland or Virginia and have a store, gas station, office, job with an address where not prohibited you can. my understanding is there were over 500 non resident gun registrations before CCL last year.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Why would someone who doesnt live in DC have to go to them and say Hey I dont live in DC but just want you guys to know that I own a gun?
    Of you have a store in DC or an office in DC where it is ok to keep a gun, and thousands of non-DC residents do, you sure as heck would register the gun you keep there.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    So if you drive thru capitol without stopping FOPA will be legal?
    It might be, but why risk it given the severe consequences if you're not perfectly compliant?:
    • Gun unloaded and secured in a locked compartment
    • Ammunition stored separate from the gun
    • Must not be accessible from the passenger compartment or in a vehicle with no such option (SUV) it must be stored in the rear of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    So if you drive thru capitol without stopping FOPA will be legal?
    1. ...
    2. The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency, including the U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds.
    3. The area around the White House ( between Constitution Ave. and H St. and between 15th St. and 17th St. NW)
    4. The U.S. Naval Observatory and its grounds (from the perimeter of its fence to the curb of Massachusetts Ave. NW from 34th St. south on Massachusetts Ave to Observatory Circle NW)
    5. When a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government is moving under the protection of the MPD, the U.S Secret Service, the U.S Capitol Police, or other law enforcement agency that does not include a distance greater than 1,000 feet from the moving dignitary. ( provided notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)
    6. ...
    As I understand it, in areas of "captol hill" where passage and access are not restricted, I "believe" FOPA allows. The specific restricted grounds and areas designated as such (parking lots, restricted streets, parks, memorials etc) likely not. With A CCPL, you can drive/walk on the streets that cross the mall (which is a national park), but you cant walk "on" the mall. On capitol hill there's usually a dignitary somewhere within range. I'm not a lawyer, this is how I understand the training/laws

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    My neighborhood is bounded by DC295 and only accessable by a pedestrian bridge. the original bridge landed into the Minnesota ave metro station, and then into the bus plaza, the new bridge also lands on the bus plaza??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom