• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah, FF does seem to be bringing some (a) really good stuff to the table (b) very good prices for his consignors. And much better photos than the other "blanket" :)
    He's been on my watch list for a while...

You did well getting that Winchester out of him for that price I think.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, FF does seem to be bringing some (a) really good stuff to the table (b) very good prices for his consignors. And much better photos than the other "blanket" :)
    He's been on my watch list for a while...

You did well getting that Winchester out of him for that price I think.

Thanks. I don't know much about Winchesters. I have a Model 94 built in 1977 that my grandfather gave me. He replaced the straight grip stock with a pistol grip one made of flame maple that he made, and bent the lever handle to curve with the pistol grip. Besides having a lot of sentimental value to me, I really like shooting it, so when I saw the Saddle Ring Carbine, I figured I'd take a chance. I'm trying to figure out condition on the Saddle Ring. I was thinking maybe 70%?

Attachments

• DSC_0633.jpg
      DSC_0633.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 410
    Jul 1, 2012
    ... I'm trying to figure out condition on the Saddle Ring. I was thinking maybe 70%?

Tough to judge from the pics but receiver & buttplate looks like finish is completely worn off to a smooth "patina", barrel and mag tube still have blue but worn thin esp close to receiver (OK, looked at description and that's what it says too). Wood looks good though. I'm not much of a rifle guy but I think this one depends on the mechanical condition and and how tight/smooth the action is, bore, etc. It doesn't look abused, just well-loved. I bet it's a good one when you get it in hand. Anyway, purely speculative but condition looks more like 40-50% on finish. Doesn't mean it falls in Blue Book value for that. If it's right & tight it's the perfect little carbine, shoot it and don't worry about it.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Tough to judge from the pics but receiver & buttplate looks like finish is completely worn off to a smooth "patina", barrel and mag tube still have blue but worn thin esp close to receiver (OK, looked at description and that's what it says too). Wood looks good though. I'm not much of a rifle guy but I think this one depends on the mechanical condition and and how tight/smooth the action is, bore, etc. It doesn't look abused, just well-loved. I bet it's a good one when you get it in hand. Anyway, purely speculative but condition looks more like 40-50% on finish. Doesn't mean it falls in Blue Book value for that. If it's right & tight it's the perfect little carbine, shoot it and don't worry about it.

I was wondering whether this receiver would have been case colored originally or blued. I've seen both advertised as "original." I agree - this is one I don't intend to sell so it doesn't really matter how much it's worth. Just trying to figure out for insurance purposes. Thanks!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That was a $300 one? Nice buy! God damn, I'd been on one of those like stink on Frosh.

Thanks, I am very happy with it. I am patient so I didn't mind waiting the 26 days for such a nice rifle.

Also, it's ready to shoot once I run a couple patches down the bore. No cosmo..

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Latest addition to my C&R collection: Sauer Drilling

Finally found something I was willing to buy after a number of years of looking. Always wanted a European Drilling that would take ammo that is not too scarce to find here in the good ol'e USA. Found a Sauer Drilling that just arrived yesterday!

Here are some pics:

Sauer 10.jpg

Sauer 4.jpg

Sauer 6.jpg

Sauer 5.jpg

Sauer 3.jpg

Sauer 1.jpg

Sauer 7.jpg

The gun is a 16x16 ga (65mm - i.e 2-9/16 chamber) over 7x57R. Bores are pristine. About 50 - 60% fading case remaining. Barrels are 90-95% original blue. Wood very good - excellent with just a few handling/ gun safe marks. Came with a German quick detach Claw Mount and Hensoldt 4x scope that looks very good externally and appears to have an excellent sight picture. Also has the rear leaf sight that raises when the rifle barrel is selected for use when scope is off the Drilling. It has cocking indicators and sideclips as well as Horn trigger guard and pistol grip cap. This gun was made in the late 30's - about 1940 or so. Most of these guns, at least up until the 1930s were the so-called Prussian Chas Daly imports (most made by Sauer and Sohn). This one is just marked Sauer and Sohn. Now to find a source for 2-1/2" or 2-9/16" (most vintage shell manufacturers carry only 2-1/2") 16 ga shells and to buy 2 or 3 boxes of 7x57R. the gun looks even somewhat better than the pics

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hey, they never notified me that it shipped. I was expecting a month. I've got it redirected to my local UPS facility where the woman knows me by sight (and thinks I'm pretty hot, and I don't blame her a bit).
    If you set up the my ups account it will actually notify you I an incoming shipment even if you did not get a tracking number.
    When you set it up make sure you put all the possible variations of your name. It won't work 100% of the time but id say at least 80%

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My grandfather had a drilling that he brought home from Germany. The more you want one of your grandfathers guns, the less likely you are to get it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    SXS, thats a beautiful drilling, enjoy!

Thank you Augie! Gotta go to NJ tomorrow. Gonna stop back by Cabelas in Newark, DE to see if they have any 2-1/2" 16 ga shells (I've been told the one in Harrisburg sometimes has them). I gotta itch to shoot the thing! :)

Now to pose a question: I'm reluctant to do this...and probably won't... but who here would consider rechambering to 2-3/4" (70mm) from 2-9/16 (65mm). It would sure make it easier and probably a bit cheaper to find shells. On the other hand, I don't usually like the idea of modifying vintage guns and it's not like I expect to be shooting the crap out of it. One good friend did advise me to have the chambers checked as many of these older guns have already been rechambered. I will do that, but for now will just acquire some 2-1/2 shells (and a couple boxes of 7x57R!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom