Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:28 AM #21
Nobody's Avatar
Nobody Nobody is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,499
Nobody Nobody is offline
Senior Member
Nobody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,499
Please remember i Am just a stupid magician. What happens in in April?

This legal stuff sucks when you are the one getting screwed.

Nobody
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:19 PM #22
esqappellate's Avatar
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
esqappellate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Please remember i Am just a stupid magician. What happens in in April?

This legal stuff sucks when you are the one getting screwed.

Nobody
Prediction: This case will be held by the Court pending a decision in NYSRPA v. NYC, in which oral argument is being held on Dec. 2. That is the same hold that Court has given Rogers, Gould, Mance and Pena (so far). After a decision on the merits in NYSPRA, all the Second Amendment cases being held by the Court, including this one, will be GVRed.
__________________
This may sound like legal advice, but it isn't. Don't rely on it. Hire your own counsel.
esqappellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:29 PM #23
krucam's Avatar
krucam krucam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun...DFW, TX
Posts: 8,146
krucam krucam is offline
Senior Member
krucam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun...DFW, TX
Posts: 8,146
The AG's Office has waived their right to respond...

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/19-423.html
__________________
Mark C.

Dallas/Ft Worth, TX

Post McDonald Second Amendment Cases/Links HERE
krucam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:31 PM #24
esqappellate's Avatar
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
esqappellate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by krucam View Post
The AG's Office has waived their right to respond...

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/19-423.html
They learn so slowly....... That won't work.
__________________
This may sound like legal advice, but it isn't. Don't rely on it. Hire your own counsel.
esqappellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 01:41 PM #25
ShafTed ShafTed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Juuuuust over the line
Posts: 1,485
ShafTed ShafTed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Juuuuust over the line
Posts: 1,485
If the state has been given their chance and still doesn't have anything to say in opposition, why is that a problem? Couldn't SCOTUS just say "Grant, Vacate, Done" and not bother waiting until the NYC case is finished to make Maryland Shall Issue?
ShafTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:15 PM #26
esqappellate's Avatar
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
esqappellate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShafTed View Post
If the state has been given their chance and still doesn't have anything to say in opposition, why is that a problem? Couldn't SCOTUS just say "Grant, Vacate, Done" and not bother waiting until the NYC case is finished to make Maryland Shall Issue?
Not done. The Court will simply issue an order, "requesting" a response from MD. Frosh will comply because not even he will diss the SCT by refusing. Then the Court will simply hold the case.
__________________
This may sound like legal advice, but it isn't. Don't rely on it. Hire your own counsel.
esqappellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:27 PM #27
motorcoachdoug's Avatar
motorcoachdoug motorcoachdoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In Comminuest Monkey Cnty,In the NON Free state of Marylandstine
Posts: 2,843
motorcoachdoug motorcoachdoug is offline
Senior Member
motorcoachdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In Comminuest Monkey Cnty,In the NON Free state of Marylandstine
Posts: 2,843
Will Herr Baron Frosh and his minions ever learn that they are now playing with the big boys and gals at SCOTUS and do not want to file a response unless he is told to do so by SCOTUS because he is to busy thinking up ways to sue Trump again while he spends MD Taxpayers money on the lawsuits that he and his co conspirators will lose..
motorcoachdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:34 PM #28
Mike OTDP's Avatar
Mike OTDP Mike OTDP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,477
Mike OTDP Mike OTDP is offline
Senior Member
Mike OTDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
Not done. The Court will simply issue an order, "requesting" a response from MD.
Pity they didn't do that with Miller. It would be terribly interesting to see SCOTUS' response to a lower court playing the one-sided game that was played with that case.
__________________
Support the U.S. International Muzzle-Loading Team! Learn more at www.usimlt.com
Mike OTDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 04:54 PM #29
GTOGUNNER's Avatar
GTOGUNNER GTOGUNNER is offline
IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Carroll County!
Posts: 4,170
GTOGUNNER GTOGUNNER is offline
IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
GTOGUNNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Carroll County!
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
Pity they didn't do that with Miller. It would be terribly interesting to see SCOTUS' response to a lower court playing the one-sided game that was played with that case.
Agreed. However, Miller the way I read it, recognized that we can own military arms. Now if it wasn't for Wayne LaPierre. We could buy brand new M.G.s...
__________________
“All I can tell you is, Mr. Beretta said ‘There always seems to be a problem with Maryland'. ”

South vs. Maryland and Warren v. District of Columbia
GTOGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 06:27 AM #30
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,910
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
Prediction: This case will be held by the Court pending a decision in NYSRPA v. NYC, in which oral argument is being held on Dec. 2. That is the same hold that Court has given Rogers, Gould, Mance and Pena (so far). After a decision on the merits in NYSPRA, all the Second Amendment cases being held by the Court, including this one, will be GVRed.
Not being as deeply familiar with the SCOTUS (well, law in general I'd imagine, but I had a class in college for non-law degree seeking. Like having had one psych class and now I can diagnose people! ), the fact that they are holding all of these cases instead of dismissing them or ordering them back to lower courts for reconsideration with instructions gives me some hope. I guess it could still be that there is one undecided justice and both sides are hoping they side with them in the end.

Anyway, its my hope they are being held (as I guess it has been stated here) because the majority is hoping NYSRPA will not be mooted, will be found to be unconstitutional and will not be an extremely narrowly tailored opinion and all of the held cases will be sent to lower courts to be reconsidered. That reconsideration based on a new standard and instructions that is favorable to the 2A.

Stepping outside the mind of the deranged, I mean gun grabber, for a second. I just don't see how some of these laws can be remotely for the public good. Even if the 2A was not a thing at all and there is no right to self defense. If we are just talking PUBLIC good, the number of times people use guns in self defense stopping crimes is massive. The fact that in some places it is effectively impossible to carry a firearm outside your house except maybe for hunting (and it better only be a "hunting/fudd" firearm then) doesn't seem at all to comport with any kind of public good.

Ignoring the 2nd, I can at least wrap my head around how most people think a CCW/W&C or whatever makes some amount of sense. I don't agree, but I can at least wrap my brain around that. That training and instruction might make some safer, that maybe we don't want to give such licenses to those who are criminals (so preform a background check) and that being required to carry said license when outside of the home and carrying a firearm allows police a quick way to check that maybe you aren't a criminal carrying a gun. Again, I disagree. But I can wrap my brain around it.

I can't this may issue (and generally don't) bullshit. As well as enormous hoops.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service