• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    all kidding and joking aside,i have no experience with this and personally would feel more comfortable if someone with experience assemble my ar lower with the appropriate tools which i do not own. of course $$$ or beer will be rewarded for your assistance. i'm baltimore county (dundalk) PM me if you can help a brother out.

Thank You:thumbsup:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If I can remember later tonight I will email you a link on a very good step by step instruction. Find a box to shoot your front takedown pin detent into. It's going to happen a few times. Other then that it's a piece of cake.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is very easy to do. A couple of tools help.

Mainly the proper size roll pin starter and roll pin punches. And if a collapsible stock, one of the castle nut tools.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    It's a lot easier than it looks. There are a ton of online tutorials.
    I like brownells.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
    Watch some videos on it. U might change your mind.

what he said.

I was in exactly your position 2y ago. first LPK (CMMG) went into a Noveske lower following the Brownell's videos - piece of cake. Second into a Seekins lower -- little trickier, but in the end no sweat.

It is much less difficult than you think. Look at it this way -- lot's of folks less intelligent and with less dexterity than you have done it with no sweat. Go for it.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I just followed the ar15.com videos and it wasn't too bad. Just make sure to follow all advise and tape anything you don't want permanantly scarred. If you can do legos, you can complete a lower assembly. Wear eye protection. No sh-t.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As many have said its a lot easier than you think.

A razor blade, mallet, screw driver and some punches and you are good to go.

Do yourself a favor and do it in a clean room and wear some safety glasses. If you launch a detent you may never find it and dont want to loose an eye.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It was easy enough my bro in law did one after watching me do one except for he let a detent excape and I had to give him my spare!

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Do you have your punches, lube, clevis pin and a large clear plastic bag? If so your set!

Do yourself a favor and do it in a clean room and wear some safety glasses. If you launch a detent you may never find it and dont want to loose an eye.

It was easy enough my bro in law did one after watching me do one except for he let a detent excape and I had to give him my spare!

Thus the large clear plastic bag! Getting that pesky detent in place is probably the only part of a very simple procedure which could possibly be called "tricky." Do it inside the bag and you'll always find the detent pin.

Go for it and have fun! Half an hour after you start, you'll be looking at your new lower and wondering what you were worried about.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are using the razor blade to install the pivot pin detent, you don't need it.

I just push the detent in with the pivot pin, then slide the pivot pin into the hole and rotate until the detent snaps into the slot.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    If you are using the razor blade to install the pivot pin detent, you don't need it.

I just push the detent in with the pivot pin, then slide the pivot pin into the hole and rotate until the detent snaps into the slot.

+1. But I've had an easier time of it when I've used a utility knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom