Keeping a shotgun or rifle in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You COULD claim that a Leatherman is actually a "tool" and unlike, say, a Bowie knife, based on it's "intended purpose." But I wouldn't push the envelope if it was me.
    I believe you are corect. This was from a case where a student was arrested for having a butter knife:
    Accordingly, we hold that in order to convict a person of
    carrying or possessing any rifle, gun, or knife on school property
    under Art. 27, § 36A, the State must show that the instrument
    possessed can, under the circumstances of the case, reasonably be
    considered a deadly weapon. This objective approach is in keeping
    with the legislative intent to prohibit the possessing and carrying
    of deadly weapons on public school property and will avoid the
    regular violation of that statute by students, teachers, and staff
    who are engaged in the routine performance of their duties at the
    public schools.
    http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...ool&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Friendship Heights banned all handguns and handgun parts within that 100 yard "safety zone," with the thinking that the entire village was covered by one safety zone or another. :tdown:

According to the Tripwire guys, Takoma Park's "safety zone handgun ban" is to be interpreted so that sidewalks are "places of public assembly" - with no "home exemption." :sad20:
    So, since they did not ban loaded rifles I say we go down there and walk around with them just to prove a point. :D

I still think that the FH law is moot due to 5-133. Be interesting if someone tested it like mowing their lawn with a handgun. The law only carries a fine.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I graduated high school in '08, and carried a leatherman on my person everyday. I also carried various large folding knifes. My teacher did the same, and no one said anything. I guess it had to do with the way I held myself, some kids got kicked out for knives, and I'm sure mine was seen by teachers administrators and police. Im lucky.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    OK... I'm still confused with the lawyer talk.

Is it safe for me to pack a rifle in my car, as long as it is unloaded, cased and loaded mags separated from the rifle by either a trunk or an outside packet? ( I'm moving part of my collection . to show my friend as I am a collector)

Is it also better to pack a regulated rifle instead of a regulated one? ( Cash and Carry, FNPS90, FN FS2000, Sig 556, Mini 14)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Is it safe for me to pack a rifle in my car, as long as it is unloaded, cased and loaded mags separated from the rifle by either a trunk or an outside packet? ( I'm moving part of my collection . to show my friend as I am a collector)

Is it also better to pack a regulated rifle instead of a regulated one? ( Cash and Carry, FNPS90, FN FS2000, Sig 556, Mini 14)

Yes, as long as it is not a SBR or SBS or a handgun which is not an antique, then you can have an unloaded trunk gun even when not going to the range, the gun shop, etc..
    There are local laws, but there is a state preemption like Montgomery county says it can only be to and from the range and etc., but the state preemption clealry states they cannot pass laws like that or they are moot.

If it is a regulated rifle, then you have even more protection as I read it because there is a second state preemption about regulated firearms too.

LORDS SERVANT

Proverbs 3: 5&6
    Mar 13, 2009
    Port Deposit
    870AOW.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm :innocent0

VERY COOL!!!!!!!!

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Hm. 30-30 for the "good guy" look, god forbid I ever need it, or the Saiga for the extra legal protection.

Decisions decisions.....:D

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I have carried shotguns and rifles in a window rack with no problems for years.

Yea, but you live in Cecil County. Come 20 minutes down the road into Howard county. Visit Columbia or Ellicott City for a little bit, and see how long it takes to get a friendly officer to welcome you to HoCo :D:D

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    True and when your truck is older than most officers on the force they dont want to bother with the noise or fumes from an rich fuel mix. Should have had the 870 when I went to the military show to day just to try my luck. Taking it to Coatsvile tomarrow.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

Novus and I disagree on this to some extent.

I read the regulated firearms preemption law as preempting "local laws on qualifications for possession," rather than "any local law regarding mere possession."

The regulated firearms statute does literally say that the state gov preempts any other law governing "possession" of regulated firearms. But the regulated firearm law then goes on to only discuss qualifications for ownership and dealer transfer requirements. Nothing else follows on about "transporting."

The general MD firearms preemption law says that the state controls a host of gun issues including "transporting." But the law then carves out an exception for local governments to enact gun regulations for that zone within 100 yards of churches, parks, schools, and "other places of public assembly," as well as in regards to "minors" and local LE.

So (in my opinion) MoCO is barred from requiring a county gun owner license, but is not barred from enforcing its ban on possessing any gun or ammo within 100 yards of parks, churches and "other places of public assembly" unless being transported in a car on a public road.

I'm not a MD lawyer, but at least one such lawyer here agrees with Novus.

If you go with them, the regulated firearm is your best bet because the state regulated firearms preemption law says nothing about the "100 yard safety zone."

Here are some statutes from the MD Code:
    http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

General State Firearms Preemption Law
    § 4-209. Regulation of weapons and ammunition.

(a) State preemption.- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

-(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

-(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

(b) Exceptions.-

-(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

--(i) with respect to minors;

--(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

--(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

-(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the teaching of or training in firearms safety, or other educational or sporting use of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section.

(c) Preexisting local laws.- To the extent that a local law does not create an inconsistency with this section or expand existing regulatory control, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may exercise its existing authority to amend any local law that existed on or before December 31, 1984.

(d) Discharge of firearms.-

-(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, in accordance with law, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the discharge of handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

-(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the discharge of firearms at established ranges.

Regulated Firearms General (Sale) Preemption law
    § 5-104. Preemption by State.

This subtitle supersedes any restriction that a local jurisdiction in the State imposes on a sale of a regulated firearm, and the State preempts the right of any local jurisdiction to regulate the sale of a regulated firearm.

Regulated Firearms Possession Preemption law
    § 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

(a) Preemption by State.- This section supersedes any restriction that a local jurisdiction in the State imposes on the possession by a private party of a regulated firearm, and the State preempts the right of any local jurisdiction to regulate the possession of a regulated firearm.

(b) Possession of regulated firearm prohibited.- A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person:

-(1) has been convicted of a disqualifying crime;

-(2) has been convicted of a violation classified as a common law crime and received a term of imprisonment of more than 2 years;

-(3) is a fugitive from justice;

-(4) is a habitual drunkard;

-(5) is addicted to a controlled dangerous substance or is a habitual user;

-(6) suffers from a mental disorder as defined in § 10-101(f)(2) of the Health - General Article and has a history of violent behavior against the person or another, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;

-(7) has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10-101 of the Health - General Article, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;

-(8) is a respondent against whom a current non ex parte civil protective order has been entered under § 4-506 of the Family Law Article; or

-(9) if under the age of 30 years at the time of possession, has been adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a disqualifying crime if committed by an adult.

(c) Penalty for possession by person convicted of crime of violence.-

-(1) A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person was previously convicted of:

--(i) a crime of violence; or

--(ii) a violation of § 5-602, § 5-603, § 5-604, § 5-605, § 5-606, § 5-607, § 5-608, § 5-609, § 5-612, § 5-613, or § 5-614 of the Criminal Law Article.

-(2) A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years, no part of which may be suspended.

-(3) A person sentenced under paragraph (1) of this subsection may not be eligible for parole.

-(4) Each violation of this subsection is a separate crime.

(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

-(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

-(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

--(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

---1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

---2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

--(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

--(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

--(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

---1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and

---2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

--(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

--(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

Last edited:

StrangeLove

Jan 9, 2009
    However, just because you are legally permitted to keep a gun in your car, it of course does not mean that you should. Personally, even though part of me would like to, I don't keep any firearms in my car because one of my biggest nightmares is someone stealing my car, getting my gun and using it to commit a crime.

What he said.

I'm all in favor of being able to carry on your person or vehicle, but even if you're COMPLETELY in the right, all it takes is one bad cop or being in the wrong place at the wrong time and you'll spend thousands defending yourself in court. To me, the cost exceeds the benefit, but if you have extra money laying around, I say go for it.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Actually my sister gave me a copy of "The Digest of Criminal Laws" booklet all LEOs in MD are supposed to have a copy of, so I didn't have to print anything out.
    If you want a copy of the pertinent laws but not including the hunting law, then the ATF's Maryland page in State Laws is a start: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/maryland.pdf

If you know the numbers or how to use it's search feature to good effect, Justia is good.

Criminal Law Article (basically 4-101, and 4-201 to 4-209):
    http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gcr.html

Public Safety Article (when there is a permit and there is a mention about state preemption):
    http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gps.html

Natural Resources Article (hunting...specifically 10-410):
    http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gnr.html

Hey Novus, this is from the old thread. The first link is restricted, can you supply a fresh one. Thanks.

Lots of good info here guys, nice job.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member