• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I don't lock up many of my guns, they are stashed in places that I frequent in the house. No point in having a nice collection of guns if they are all locked in a safe when you might need them. Sure, the range toys and collectables should be in the safe, but in my house (without kids) I want my guns in reach. That being said, I update my homeowners policy frequently to make sure I am covered for the replacement value of my guns.

The study states that "We found that less than half of the U.S. gun owners store all their guns safely." That could very well be accurate. I know tons of gun owners who store most of their guns in a safe but have a handgun sitting on their nightstand. By their definition, those people would fall into the statistic. Its also worth noting that the head researcher, Crifasi, is a gun owner herself and supports 2A. Just food for thought, carry on...

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Bloomberg School of Public Health? Of course this is fake news. Virtually everybody I know who owns firearms has them stored in a safe or lockable cabinet, except for a few instances of people I know who own very old wall-hanger percussion pieces that are probably unsafe (edit: or unable) to fire.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    sooooo, they published a report. Ok, where is the report?
    Unless the questions are shown, what is the point on reporting it? Ahhhhh media bias.

The article looks like JH is defining what "safely" is. Its highly possible they are defining safe as locked away, unloaded and ammo seperated. Not ideal for self defense.
    They could be defining anything where a firearm is stored loaded is "unsafe". That could include in a safe but loaded as they define as unsafe.
    You could have a gunvault with a loaded pistol and they declare that unsafe.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Oh now that's funny. I must have access to the journal through my corporate internet connection. The link opens right up to full doc for me. Here is the most important part, imho, that was left out of related articles I could find.

We categorized respondents as using safe
    storage practices if all guns were stored in
    a locked gun safe, cabinet, or case; locked into
    a gun rack; or stored with a trigger lock or
    other lock. This definition is based on research
    evidence showing that these practices
    reduce the likelihood of unauthorized access
    or use.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Depends what they mean by safe storage?

they are only counting:

Maryland law also requires locking devices meet state standards or be approved by a state agency for effectiveness.

Which does not count cabled firearms in gun racks, and other means of securing firearms.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Did anyone notice this information is supposedly from 1991-2000 and published in 2005?

I'm just saying.....

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Depends what they mean by safe storage?

they are only counting:

Which does not count cabled firearms in gun racks, and other means of securing firearms.

Did you see my previous post? I quoted what the study outlined as "Safe Storage"

Did anyone notice this information is supposedly from 1991-2000 and published in 2005?

I'm just saying.....

Where are you getting those numbers from? The survey was conducted March 15-April 13, 2016 and published in the journal yesterday.

EDIT: Were you talking about the mikethegunguy link?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I'm just saying.....

I think your looking at the link I posted which is a DIFFERENT study.
    I have edited my post to more boldly mention I'm linking to a different study where the data is viewable.

Sorry about the confusion

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Where are you getting those numbers from? The survey was conducted March 15-April 13, 2016 and published in the journal yesterday.

EDIT: Were you talking about the mikethegunguy link?

Look at the very top of the study in the link above. It clearly states it was submitted in 2005 and approved in 2005.

If you look at the top of the data chart, it clearly states this data is from 1991 to 2000.

Unless what you're looking at is different than what's in that link.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    JH, you must have missed my post #34 before making your post #35. I linked a different study.
    I liked that study because the study had the data and the questions in it which would be a better study.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Except the ones that only I have access to that are loaded and ready to go the rest are locked up in one location, magazines locked up in another location and ammo locked up in another location. I do have two young kids but the main reason is to make sure nobody visiting the house, doing work on the house, etc. gets nosey.

And yes a paid study by Bloomberg I'm not believing there is ANY validity to it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    JH, you must have missed my post #34 before making your post #35. I linked a different study.
    I liked that study because the study had the data and the questions in it which would be a better study.

Okay. I thought it was just a different link to the same study. Sorry.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ok, I say folks who are "serious" about firearms do have safes ect, but I don't doubt that there is a LARGE percentage that don't keep firearms secure.I have 2 safes, and 5 lock boxes, including one in each vehicle let I own, except the bike

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom