$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do you guys shoot these Garands at all?
    I realize it may reduce their value.
    Thx.

Oh hell yes, Garands are the best shooters there are. Excellent iron sights, moderate recoil, and just a serious chunk of Hard Shooting American Iron.

The CMP organizes Garand and other Vintage matches which make for great, friendly, low key competition and camaraderie. Many clubs hold Vintage matches.

Garands in general, and especially CMP Service Grades are meant for shooting, not to be Safe Queens.

A very wise man once said:
    "There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay."

Jimboy

Jimboy
    Patriot Picket
    Jul 8, 2015
    From frying pan to Fire
    Great to know. I'm new to them. I ordered one from CMP about a month ago (Service grade) and still waiting on it. I ordered it just to add to my limited collection, but didn't want it to be a safe queen either!
    Thanks for the info.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm not sure about Garand or Vintage matches in Southern Maryland, but I understand Anne Arundel Fish and Game holds monthly Vintage matches. http://www.aafg.org/events.html

These are not intimidating super-intense competitions. Just a bunch of normal people shooting cool rifles. Notice the random video I posted the guy doesn't have any fancy gear, not even a scope. A lot of entry-level shooters at these things. Of course, there's always that one guy who just has to hit the black every time...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In the video what was popping off his rifle a couple times?

What's recommended ammo, I assume some reduced energy variety given what's in today's product?

The Rapid Fire stage consists of ten rounds in 60 seconds (70 for Bolt Actions), with a reload on the clock. Bolt Actions, 03 and 03-A1s, load five rounds and reload with a five round stripper clip. Garands start with two rounds in the magazine, then reload with an eight round clip.

You are seeing the Garand clip being ejected after the first two rounds.

You can see it better in this video:

He started with a two round clip: you can see it lying in the grass at the end of the video. Many shooters use standard eight round clips to load two rounds: there are a couple of tricks for loading two rounds in a Garand using a standard eight round clip, but this guy used a special clip which only holds two.

Notice everybody has their eight round reload clip pre-positioned at the beginning.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, it will come with one clip. You can buy more clips from the CMP e-store, and you should. A Garand with only one clip is a sad, sad thing.

The "magazine" is an integral part of the rifle! The Garand uses true clips, specifically en bloc clips as opposed to the stripper clips used by 03 Springfields and such. The en bloc clip is inserted into the magazine, and actually functions as part of the magazine. The feed lips are part of the en bloc clip.

Garands eject the empty clip out the top, as you see in the videos. Other rifles, such as Mannlichers, drop their empty en bloc clips out the bottom of the magazine.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In the video what was popping off his rifle a couple times?

What's recommended ammo, I assume some reduced energy variety given what's in today's product?

Actually, these are pretty old, junky rifles. It's not unusual to see odd pieces flying off them here and there.

By the way, make sure you use "Garand Safe" ammo in your Garand. Supposedly, some hunting ammo could damage the op rod. American Eagle has 150 Grain "Safe for Garands" ammo. So does Prvi Partisan, and of course, Federal/Lake City.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I gotta find a notary, most offices I've worked at have a couple, this one not so much.
    I do want to complete the set so to speak and after reviewing GB sold IHC's this weekend think it'll be worth more than $1060 in the short term and hopefully will keep going up.
    I don't think having all four will make them more valuable as a set to 95% of buyers, just the opposite, they'll want a bundled price.

Banks, Car dealers, and insurance companies usually have Notaries. My local State Farm agent notarizes for free as a customer service even though I don't buy insurance from him but that may be a rural county type thing.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Makes me wish I had done my CMP paperwork.

These are history (love IHC trucks) and will go for $1500 any day of the week after CMP sells out.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Makes me wish I had done my CMP paperwork.

These are history (love IHC trucks) and will go for $1500 any day of the week after CMP sells out.

I’m not big into trucks but I have two IHC tractors

Attachments

• 01651818-2AC6-4FED-883D-7361CE6561D4.jpg
      01651818-2AC6-4FED-883D-7361CE6561D4.jpg
      159.6 KB · Views: 286

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Dag, went to order an Ihc and now I see they have $630 field grades in stock.

Attachments

• 8D42B15B-1B8F-4109-BB60-05DE239228BB.jpg
      8D42B15B-1B8F-4109-BB60-05DE239228BB.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 302

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you get an IHC, you'll need one of these to sort of balance it out:

Attachments

• John Deere Garand.jpg