• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I pocket carried a CRKT m16 throughout my army deployments. Used it for pretty much everything. It held up really well and has a smooth open. It's still my go to 15 years later.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So are you saying the Spyderco Tenacious has a less reliable liner lock that other knifes, or that it does not have that problem?

No, I'm not a fan of liner locks, they are relatively weak, and more prone to disengage than most other designs. Most sub $50 knives have a sheetmetal liner lock, it's just a thin flap built into the stamped steel liner, they are especially dangerous being they tend not to be tuned right, and the rounded or rough stamped lock face can slip between the scale and blade, or disengages. "good" liner locks made from thicker machined steel, like the tenacious, Ti liners like Emerson uses, and a couple others on better knives are much better, and less likely to allow the knife to close inadvertently, but still don't wedge in place like axis, BB, compression etc, and aren't held in place by hand grip like a frame or a back-lock.

liner / frame comparisons, chinese junk sheet metal liner, Buck sheet metal liner, Machined steel Tenacious liner, machined Ti Emerson liner, ZT 0393 Ti subframe lock, ZT 0804 Frame lock
    20180306_163943.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I pocket carried a CRKT m16 throughout my army deployments. Used it for pretty much everything. It held up really well and has a smooth open. It's still my go to 15 years later.

I just bought a CRKT M16 off Amazon last week for $48. The orange handled emt version (so it isn't as easy to lose as a black one.) Haven't really used it yet but its a serious piece of kit and I think I'll like it a lot.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    It's very rare I don't have a Swiss Army knife on me. Just too handy not to carry. A very wide assortment for way less than 50 dollars, most the time under 25. The recruit model and classic are under 20.

I second this. Lot's of cool single blade folders out there, but for outright daily handiness, you can't beat a swiss army knife. I prefer the "Officier" model.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My current daily carry is a Buck small Selkirk - $33 on Amazon Prime. I like this knife a lot - it's functional, but there's a touch of class in its aesthetic.

buck-selkirk-sm-0835brs-b-10682-cm.jpg

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    Not exactly sub $50 but close. My daily knife is a Benchmade Lonewolf landslide knife with an orange handle. Holds an edge really well and most importantly I haven't lost it yet.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not exactly sub $50 but close. My daily knife is a Benchmade Lonewolf landslide knife with an orange handle. Holds an edge really well and most importantly I haven't lost it yet.

Hah, I had one of those too with the orange handle and loved it. Left it on a table on an LE shoot I was at for work and it grew legs. Still miss it!

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I have been seeing some really nice knives at about $80. The last one I bought is part of my rotation for EDC. It is a spyderco from the knife center that was on clearance for $80. Massdrop sent an email that had another one. S35 steel blade, but I dont remember the name of it. They have a deal with Ferrum Forge to make some mass produced knives, and I have been interested in buying a few of them, but havent yet.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Have to start watching this thread. I lost my beloved Kershaw Blackout last year and haven't replaced it. Carried that knife since I was 13 and then POOF.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    My EDC beater has been a Buck Bantam 285. They’re around $20 and it’s easily become my favorite since I bought it. I know some people don’t like the kydex handle but I’ve never had it act weak or wobbly in the year I’ve had it, plus it weighs barely anything.

US made as well, so that’s pretty nifty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I’ve recently become a fan of the Rat 1. This is a heavy duty folder made in Taiwan but is of great quality. Available in Aus 8 and D2. I’m really impressed so far for <$30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom