• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello everyone!
    I inherited my great grandfather's Chicago police gun (colt 38, blue steel, officers model, 5 inch barrel with bullets), original holster, badge, a leather baton, and some type of brass knuckles not brass. I have articles from the Chicago Tribune showing him capturing a gangster (photo) and awards for this capture, with other articles about him from the 1920's I think? I don't know how to tell when it was made, I do have a serial number though. It is soooo cool! I also have a badge of his from the World Fair held in Chicago.

How would I go about figuring out how much it is worth?

Thank you, Kenzie

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!

Try the Colt site, I believe they can be helpful with dates.

Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A Guide - How to Testify in Annapolis[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    A detailed summary for non-lawyers

Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Acronym list[/FONT]

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Hello everyone!
    I inherited my great grandfather's Chicago police gun (colt 38, blue steel, officers model, 5 inch barrel with bullets), original holster, badge, a leather baton, and some type of brass knuckles not brass. I have articles from the Chicago Tribune showing him capturing a gangster (photo) and awards for this capture, with other articles about him from the 1920's I think? I don't know how to tell when it was made, I do have a serial number though. It is soooo cool! I also have a badge of his from the World Fair held in Chicago.

How would I go about figuring out how much it is worth?

Thank you, Kenzie

now that the introduction is done you'd have better chance asking this question in c&r forum. hello and welcome nice inheritance

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That sounds like a great collection of family history. I think I'd build a glass front box to hang on the wall and make a display

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Great advice! I will post it there. I was thinking about some type of box and including the articles, etc. I have not used guns and I don't know much about them. I locked it away in a gun box. One is loaded and I was afraid to have it around until I took a class. I invited a military member I know to come over and take the bullets out.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Yes, you do need to register all your handguns within 90 days if you intend to become a Maryland resident.

Now banned long guns can be registered ONLY IF you owned them before Oct 1, 2013.

Note that AR-15's with HBAR barrels do not have to be registered since the HBAR makes them non-banned...

Welcome to the lunacy of Maryland gun laws.

Sounds like a cool collection, especially with all the other items and the family connection.

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    uh oh

I moved here 6 months ago! Will they take them away????? Should I take them back to Illinois? The stories are fascinating. During a police chase he was in an accident and unconscious in the hospital for a few months. Growing up I heard he was an alcoholic with terrible headaches. I educate university students about military PTSD and head trauma. My grandfather was fired for his behavior after the head trauma from drinking. Now, from the articles, I pieced it together. His drinking, anger, and headaches began after the traumatic brain injury. Now he would be treated, but then they had no idea. He used alcohol for the pain. At that point they didn't even know what shell shock was from the war. So sad for a man who had such an amazing career.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome again in this thread .

( trying to transmit friendly tone over the internet )

You need , and will enjoy some basic education with firearms, and handguns in particular .

I'm sure one of our revolver cognizent members could easily be persuaded to give you some instruction and mentoring .

Likewise most of our IP's ( Industry Partners ) can offer some basic instruction . If we knew your basic location we can point you to convient Instructors, and there are certianly MDS members nearby to just about everywhere in Md .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 307

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just moved from Illinois, do I need to register them here too?

Yes, you do need to register all your handguns within 90 days if you intend to become a Maryland resident.

I moved here 6 months ago! Will they take them away????? Should I take them back to Illinois? ...

I am not a lawyer, and I would like to see some intelligent discussion about this from people who do know what they are talking about.

Maryland's registration law is new, badly written, confused, and to my knowledge not efficiently enforced. But you should make certain your heirloom is on the right side of that stupid law.

I don't think Maryland will give you any trouble about it, but like I said, I don't really know. I can imagine about four ways you could handle it, but I would like to see some intelligent discussion on the issue.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Welcome to the lunacy of Maryland gun laws.

Sounds like a cool collection, especially with all the other items and the family connection.

If he plugged the barrel, removed the firing pin, and mounted the stuff in a shadow box for display, would he still have to register it?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If he plugged the barrel, removed the firing pin, and mounted the stuff in a shadow box for display, would he still have to register it?

Absolutely yes.

It would still be a firearm easily returned to firing condition.

The ATF has strict standards for destroying firearms, involving multiple cuts of the receiver/frame.

I don't think this should be a problem for the OP.

First, when did he "establish residency?" Doesn't it take several months for that?

Second, when did he actually bring the gun to Maryland? Where is the written record of that?

Third, does anyone at MSP give a damn? This law is so confused and so badly written, nobody can make sense of it. If a prosecutor wants to destroy you, they can interpret the law to serve that purpose. Otherwise, I don't think anyone gives a damn.

Isn't the registration done online? However it's done, I say just register the damn thing before it sneaks out by itself one night and shoots up the local bowling alley. Once it's been registered, it will be harmless.

Can anyone link to the MSP registration form? Does it even ask for a "date of importation?" Didn't somebody say the revolver just entered Maryland a few weeks ago?

OP- do you need help unloading the revolver? I know one of us can help, if need be.

Basically, for a Colt, just pull back on the latch on the left side above the trigger, push the cylinder open to the left, and dump out the cartridges. Easy and safe. (Smith and Wesson, push the latch forward.)

Meanwhile, the Four Rules will keep everybody safe:

Rule One: All guns are always loaded.

Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule Four: Always be sure of your target, and of what lies behind it.

These rules provide multiple, overlapping layers of safety.

First, get comfortable with knowing your gun, and every gun is loaded. It won't "go off" by itself. None of this "I didn't know it was loaded," or "I thought the safety was on." Guns do not "go off." They are simple and safe enough for children to handle.

Rules two and three ensure perfect safety, and are redundant. If the gun is not pointed in an unsafe direction, there will be little harm from a Negligent Discharge. If you do not touch the trigger, there will not be a Negligent Discharge.

You have a priceless heirloom, which I hope you will be able to pass down to future generations. Meanwhile, I hope you will be able to enjoy your custodianship of the gun in quiet confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom