• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    Shot around is more accurate. Due to a landscaping emergency (a long story in its self) I was destined to be going to the Home Depot in the District near Brentwood and Rhode Island Avenue. Google sent me through the worst neighborhood possible in NE DC. Open air drug market between Montana and Brintwood Ave. via Soratoga Ave. Google put me in the middle of a war zone. After not finding what was promised to be at that Home Depot via their online inventory, I asked Google to send me to Lowe's in DC. Google sent me up Rhode Island Ave. and told me to turn right onto Montana Ave. At 4 PM just as I turned onto Montana Ave., a gunfight broke out among at least three thugs a half block up Montana Ave. at the drug market. At least a dozen shots fired with some going over the hood of my truck. A quick U turn and burning rubber out of there and up and away on Rhode Island Ave. I was lucky to not be shot by the black hoods running and holding their pants up with one hand and shooting with the other! A day after Christmas! What, did someone get a 9 under the tree?

In the District, you need a "good reason" to carry a handgun for self protection beyond the general "self defrense."

Well it looks to me that a "good reason" to need a gun for self defense in the District of Columbia is going to Home Depot or Lowes!

I will never go there again!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The only Home Depot I know of is by Saratoga and Saratoga is not a good neighborhood. I've done a lot of SWs on Saratoga. You would be surprised what those apartments are going for right there by the metro!!!

My educated guess says it was probably further down by Trinidad but I'm not sure

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    Glad you're OK!!!

Ah, me too! Three whiskeys and two beers later I'm better. My girlfriend has been very understanding, but she does not understand that after being scared sh*tless, why I can be so happy. I'm trying to explain how good it feels to be alive when you are so close to being just another random victim. I am very lucky and happy to carry on for another day.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I now steadfastly to go through the district at all. I'll sit out on the beltway in traffic jams to get around it. I don't care.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Could be worse, try going to the Home Depot in Chicago. 55 shot, 11 DOA this Christmas weekend.

And B.O. has nothing to say....

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    We never enter the District of Columbia, among other areas, unless we have no choice. It's easily been 20+ years. Haven't been shot, stabbed, mugged, or car-jacked.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glad you're ok .

As a learning experience for our membership at large, this points out the dangers of blindly following routing from GPS, Google map, or other software based systems.

From your description, I'm guessing you were entering DC on Rt 50. If so your comparitively better alternative would have been : Just after crossing DC line, take exit for South Dakota Ave. Take SD to Rhode Island Ave, go south on RI to the shopping center with Home Despot on the left.

Plan B - Continued farther on NY ave, take Brentwood Ave exit, go north, shopping center on left, but up a ramp, and not as visable drom the street.

Still not the greatest neighborhoods, but on main thorofares, less open air skullduggery.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    WOW. What a time to be a alive, eh?

I now steadfastly to go through the district at all. I'll sit out on the beltway in traffic jams to get around it. I don't care.

This reminds me of a question I had a while back and long since slipped my mind: does anyone know why the District technically extends to an itty bitty sliver of the south side of 495? Essentially every weird border has a story, and I was wondering if any among us had a definitive answer.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 999

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

This reminds me of a question I had a while back and long since slipped my mind: does anyone know why the District technically extends to an itty bitty sliver of the south side of 495? Essentially every weird border has a story, and I was wondering if any among us had a definitive answer.

The story is that DC patrols the water under the bridge and MD patrols the bridge up to the VA line.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

I think it's an artifact of the original plan for the District, in the shape of a perfect diamond, 10 miles on a side, with the land split between Maryland and Virginia. After the Civil War, there was a sense that the Federal government would never need that much land, so they gave Virginia's portion back to the state. That land became Arlington County, and includes part of the city of Alexandria. If you look at a map, those two geographic entities "complete" the diamond.

If you go to Jones Point Park under the Wilson Bridge, there's an old lighthouse with an original "cornerstone" from the original survey that laid out DC's boundaries. My guess as to why the Bridge crosses there is that it's at a geographic point, so the crossing would be shorter than other locations.

JoeR

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

We never enter the District of Columbia, among other areas, unless we have no choice. It's easily been 20+ years. Haven't been shot, stabbed, mugged, or car-jacked.

I will not enter D.C. or Baltimore anymore. Nothing there I need.

This, this and this.

Plus they have finally found a way to put their commuter tax into effect by removing parking and installing redlight and speed tax collecting devices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom