• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    The new classifier is described in detail in the draft rules.

Draft looks identical to me. Maybe string 1 sequence a little different.

I had heard that the classifier changes would follow this draft rule issuance. Maybe the times changed but shooting the same...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm in my first year of IDPA, and I'm surprised there isn't more flexibility for the ESP category. It's their one category for semiautomatics where there should be increased flexibility. If they're relegating single-action semiautomatic pistols to this category, why not acknowledge that an ambidextrous safety can be a popular feature.

For a home defense gun in a holster at home, it allows for a quick visual inspection of whether the safety is engaged. For homes with a right-handed and a left-handed individual, it allows either to use the handgun in a defensive situation without fumbling to release the safety. It obviously allows both to also train with the gun as well. In an IDPA event, the ambi safety also allows the safety officer to tell at a glance whether the safety is engaged when holstered before starting the timer. An ambi safety is also beneficial in situations where one needs to shoot with your weak hand and disengage or re-engage the safety.

As you're implying, there may be more than a few popular handguns with ambi safeties that are excluded from the ESP category due to the width limitation of 1-5/8" (1.625 inches). Yet, revolvers allowed in other IDPA pistol divisions are often wider. I know the Sig Sauer P226R Legion SAO comes in at under 1-3/4" but at 1.73 inches wide is not ESP compliant. I would imagine 2011-style pistols from STI and other manufacturers are excluded from ESP for the same reason.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

For IDPA "pros" they just check the "ESP legal" box when they order a $3,000 custom 2011 to get the short magwell and skinny ambi safety, meanwhile I couldn't get a score if I shot my box stock Sig P220SAO because it doesn't fit in the box. At least XDs aren't relegated to ESP anymore, and can run in SSP where all the funtionally identical striker pistols have always been. The story was the founders considered the XD/XDM "SAO" just to keep Rob Letham out of SSP division.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For IDPA "pros" they just check the "ESP legal" box when they order a $3,000 custom 2011 to get the short magwell and skinny ambi safety, meanwhile I couldn't get a score if I shot my box stock Sig P220SAO because it doesn't fit in the box. At least XDs aren't relegated to ESP anymore, and can run in SSP where all the funtionally identical striker pistols have always been. The story was the founders considered the XD/XDM "SAO" just to keep Rob Letham out of SSP division.

Nice gun. I can see why there was an attraction to USPSA (although I still find IDPA fun, it's just some things which are arbitrary such as pistol width restrictions, mag retention rules, etc make one question why).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My CZ P07 would make a great Compact Carry Division pistol, but they designed the box for that division around the Glock 19. My CZ is too wide thanks to the ambi safety.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Draft looks identical to me. Maybe string 1 sequence a little different.

I had heard that the classifier changes would follow this draft rule issuance. Maybe the times changed but shooting the same...

I see plenty of changes.

old v new:

3 stages, 14 strings, 90 rds - 3 stages, 8 strings, 72 rds

13 draws - 7 draws

9 head shots, 3 weak hand shots - 6 head shots, 6 weak hand shots

12 strong hand shots - 6 strong hand shots

3 failure drill strings (9 total rds) - 0 failure drill strings

18 shots from 20 yards - 6 shots from 20 yards

12 shots from 15 yards - 18 shots from 15 yards

12 shots from kneeling - 0 shots from kneeling

2 reloads with retention - 0 reloads with retention

shoot from both sides of barricade - shoot only from one side of barricade

shoot from one side of a barrel - shoot from each side of double stacked barrels

Class bracket times are different to adjust for 1 sec/point down and fewer rounds (most seem to think the new classifier is easier).

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Come to USPSA... Come to USPSA... For all of the reasons Trevor posted. Jesus, how many times does IDPgAy have to change to rules in 3 years for people to realize that it's time to try something else?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I see plenty of changes.

old v new:

3 stages, 14 strings, 90 rds - 3 stages, 8 strings, 72 rds

13 draws - 7 draws

9 head shots, 3 weak hand shots - 6 head shots, 6 weak hand shots

12 strong hand shots - 6 strong hand shots

3 failure drill strings (9 total rds) - 0 failure drill strings

18 shots from 20 yards - 6 shots from 20 yards

12 shots from 15 yards - 18 shots from 15 yards

12 shots from kneeling - 0 shots from kneeling

2 reloads with retention - 0 reloads with retention

shoot from both sides of barricade - shoot only from one side of barricade

shoot from one side of a barrel - shoot from each side of double stacked barrels

Class bracket times are different to adjust for 1 sec/point down and fewer rounds (most seem to think the new classifier is easier).

Thanks for taking the time to read and post that.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    IDPA vs USPSA, or any other activity, won't be solved here. Although good people (both in character & skill) are able to make reasoned arguments for both or either, it will always be an apples and oranges comparison & there's really no point in dredging through it for the millionth time.

The proposed IDPA rule changes are not onerous. But it would benefit people to actually read through the rules.

-The classifier is being greatly simplified & shortened;

-Match directors are now allowed to use visible cover lines extending back from cover;

-Scoring is simplified and places increased focus on accuracy, while still rewarding speed.

-Penalties are largely unchanged with the exception of a 10-second "Flagrant Penalty" which allows the Match Director an intermediate step between a 3 second PE & the nuclear 20 second FTDR. The FP & the FTDR are there to help deal with intentional cheating & out-of-control emotions.

In my opinion, the absolute best way to learn the rules & their application, is to 1) Take the SO class & online open book pretest, & become a certified SO, 2) serve as a Secondary Safety Officer (SSO)/scorekeeper & learn how to properly call cover, count shots as necessary, watch for shot placement where the stage description calls for such specifics, & score stages/targets (rarely rocket science, but you can't get it right if you don't know the rules), then run shooters as the Primary SO, or PSO. You don't have to do it every time, but a greater understanding of the rules will help your enjoyment of the sport, & help you help others enjoy it.

As a Match Director & Safety Officer, my absolute primary goals are to keep people safe, & help them have fun. When they return for another match I know I've accomplished both.

People who shoot often & under the clock, solving scenario's & moving around, are more likely to be able to effectively defend themselves with their firearm should that need arise. No shooting sport is actual tactical training. Not IDPA, USPSA, 3-Gun, 2-Gun, SASS, etc. But they all keep a gun in your hand, & provide for safe trigger time, and all of them are better than your gun gathering dust in the nightstand or back of the closet. Other than that, pick your flavor & go have fun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This is the only club I see listed with USPSA in Maryland:

EASTERN SHORE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS - VA18
    Distance to Club: 48 miles
    Contact Info
    Kenneth A Danz Jr
    , TO DE 19734
    Alt Phone: (302) 378-2041
    Fax: (302) 388-6626
    Club/Range Address
    816 Sudlersville Cemetary Rd.
    Sudlersville, MD 21668
    Details: ESPS shoots at Delmarva Sportsmans Association which is located approximately 1.7 miles from Sudlersville MD on Sudlersville Cemetary Road. We shoot on the fourth Saturday of each month from February thru October.Most matches feature 6 stages including 1 classifier. Round count is usually in the range of 90 to 110 rounds. Setup begins at 8 AM and shooting starts between 9:30 and 10 AM. New shooters should be at the range at 8 AM for safety checks.
    Club Contact: Kenneth A Danz Jr
    The name of an authorized score uploader has been omitted since you are not logged in

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    This is the only club I see listed with USPSA in Maryland:

EASTERN SHORE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS - VA18
    Distance to Club: 48 miles
    Contact Info
    Kenneth A Danz Jr
    , TO DE 19734
    Alt Phone: (302) 378-2041
    Fax: (302) 388-6626
    Club/Range Address
    816 Sudlersville Cemetary Rd.
    Sudlersville, MD 21668
    Details: ESPS shoots at Delmarva Sportsmans Association which is located approximately 1.7 miles from Sudlersville MD on Sudlersville Cemetary Road. We shoot on the fourth Saturday of each month from February thru October.Most matches feature 6 stages including 1 classifier. Round count is usually in the range of 90 to 110 rounds. Setup begins at 8 AM and shooting starts between 9:30 and 10 AM. New shooters should be at the range at 8 AM for safety checks.
    Club Contact: Kenneth A Danz Jr
    The name of an authorized score uploader has been omitted since you are not logged in
    USPSA is the US body under IPSC. We have regular USPSA matches at TCSC also, in addition to our 3-Gun & IDPA matches.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Do I take it that SO is new-speak for RO?
    IDPA has certified "Safety Officers," to run a squad of shooters through an IDPA stage or match. The SO is charged with overseeing safety, rules adherence, scoring, & keeping the group moving along in a timely fashion. IDPA does not have or recognize "range officers."

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I'm in my first year of IDPA, and I'm surprised there isn't more flexibility for the ESP category. It's their one category for semiautomatics where there should be increased flexibility....

You can absolutely use your ambi-safety firearm, or any other firearm that doesn't fit within IDPA's typical CDP, ESP, SSP, CCP, BUG, or REV divisions while shooting in local/tier 1 matches.

If your goal is to compete in sanctioned matches, then of course you have to use firearms that comply with current equipment rules. However, you can use any handgun in matches under the NFC, or Not For Competition division that is allowed in local matches. This is based on Match Director approval, but I think most of us in this area wouldn't have a problem with it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You can absolutely use your ambi-safety firearm, or any other firearm that doesn't fit within IDPA's typical CDP, ESP, SSP, CCP, BUG, or REV divisions while shooting in local/tier 1 matches.

If your goal is to compete in sanctioned matches, then of course you have to use firearms that comply with current equipment rules. However, you can use any handgun in matches under the NFC, or Not For Competition division that is allowed in local matches. This is based on Match Director approval, but I think most of us in this area wouldn't have a problem with it.

Good to know. I know what I'm shooting in the next match (12/3?).

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Good to know. I know what I'm shooting in the next match (12/3?).

Yep. And the very next day is a match at TCSC, party of which is the classifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom