• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I have been going to Gilbert's but I'm tired of their policy on ammo. $32 for 50 rounds of .223 is a hard pill to swallow. Especially when I"m sure there "county ordinance" is ********.

I know there are varying opinions on MSAR from looking through the old threads but I thought it was a decent range although a bit weird in that:

1. There was no safety test or review or instruction. They just gave me a lane. I don't think I've ever seen that at any range.

2. The carriers are set really really low for the rifle lanes. Like if you are not shooting sitting down, then you're basically going to hit the ground because of the angle.

3. There is a huge showroom/waiting area on the 1st floor, but not much to actually look at other than lots of LEO type stuff.

4. There is a gun vault with guns for sale, but it's in a tiny room. There were three people in there and I basically couldn't walk around to see what they had for sale.

5. Long wait, lots of people. I was lucky in that I only waited 40 mins.

6. People were dry-firing or racking slides or charging handles out by the entrance to the range where there is like a "fake" lane or booth. In fairness, I think one of them may have been an employee?

The good:

1. Well ventilated. I'm sure you know it was hot as hell today, but they had some good strong air blowing inside the ranges.

2. Friendly staff. All the people I talked to were friendly.

3. The range /booth itself is pretty nice.

Bottom line is that it wasn't a terrible experience, but definitely a bit weird. I'd probably go again just b/c I'm tired of Gilbert's and I like to shoot my own ammo.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    For me, Gilbert's is 10 minutes away, but I have never been there. I completely agree with your assessment of MSAR, seen a lot of what you reported, but have only been there a few times. I find it just as far a drive to go to AGC up in Marriotsville. For an indoor location, On Target isn't too bad of a drive either. It is a shame about Gilberts.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    Last time i went to Gilberts, I spent way too much. If you're willing, check out Heritage in Frederick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Instead of MSAR check out the NRA range in Fairfax. Better range, staff and customers.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I shoot NRA in Fairfax fairly often and it is a bit of a drive for me (I'm in Ft. Washington). It's one of the nicest places to shoot I've been. Shoot your own ammo, as long as it's not steel core. Draw and shoot from holster? Yep, as long as it's a hip holster. Shoot pistols up to and including 500. Rifles up to 460 Wheatherby magnum. No full auto fire and shotguns slugs only. Touch pad controlled targets. Adjustable in increments of 1 foot! $15 for a lane (1 hour) Quick and easy safety quiz. Lounge with big screen TV. Rental safety glasses/hearing protection. Ammo at (GASP!) reasonable prices. You don't need to be a NRA member to shoot. Also, when you have finished shooting, wander upstairs to the museum. Take a handkerchief. You'll be drooling all over yourself at the guns on display.

Very good(and serious) range safety officers. Know the rules, follow the rules and no problems. I saw a guy turn around with a loaded, one in the pipe hand gun and he swept the behind the tables area with the muzzle. The range safety officer was on him like stink on poop. Read him the riot act and told him it was his only warning. He did it again later and was told to leave. Nothing special except he was probably 6'2 240, mid-30's and the range safety officer was Female, 5 ft nothing, maybe 105 soaking wet and 24-25?. No fear. Tossed his ass out.:D

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I shoot NRA in Fairfax fairly often and it is a bit of a drive for me (I'm in Ft. Washington). It's one of the nicest places to shoot I've been. Shoot your own ammo, as long as it's not steel core. Draw and shoot from holster? Yep, as long as it's a hip holster. Shoot pistols up to and including 500. Rifles up to 460 Wheatherby magnum. No full auto fire and shotguns slugs only. Touch pad controlled targets. Adjustable in increments of 1 foot! $15 for a lane (1 hour) Quick and easy safety quiz. Lounge with big screen TV. Rental safety glasses/hearing protection. Ammo at (GASP!) reasonable prices. You don't need to be a NRA member to shoot. Also, when you have finished shooting, wander upstairs to the museum. Take a handkerchief. You'll be drooling all over yourself at the guns on display.

Very good(and serious) range safety officers. Know the rules, follow the rules and no problems. I saw a guy turn around with a loaded, one in the pipe hand gun and he swept the behind the tables area with the muzzle. The range safety officer was on him like stink on poop. Read him the riot act and told him it was his only warning. He did it again later and was told to leave. Nothing special except he was probably 6'2 240, mid-30's and the range safety officer was Female, 5 ft nothing, maybe 105 soaking wet and 24-25?. No fear. Tossed his ass out.:D

I would definitely like to go there to shoot someday, but with the opening of TMGN, the incentive to drive that far is not very strong. Maybe I'll go there on a Saturday when I have nothing else going one. I've heard lots of good things about the NRA range, so it would be fun to go there sometime just to check out the range and the museum.

Cal68

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    MSAR:

Its my usually place. I need to join a club.

Positives:
    - All staff have been friendly and helpful.
    - When I've brought my daughter, they have encouragement for her.
    - Pricing in that when I go, I only have recently shot in the pistol lanes and time is not limited for the new fee of $25, up from $20. The just started limiting the rifle lanes.
    - There usually is brass to pick up
    - Bathrooms clean
    - Instructor Moe!

Improvement items:
    - Fix lane booth lights, not all work
    - More monitoring - Often, there is an instructor teaching someone new, seem like they maybe relying on this person too much

TMGN is really nice, wish I could stay in lane longer than an hour though. Recently I've been going to On Target, got a membership and I can stay and shoot all I want until I run out of ammo. It's not the cleanest, but it serves my purpose and I don't have a problem with the people there.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    In my opinion they both suck. Gilbert's for their BS policy and MSAR for their lack of safety and unreasonably wait time. I started going to Machine Gun Nest in Frederick. I'm not sure if they are close to you but they are 30 minutes from Gilberts. They are safe, reasonably priced, well stocked with full auto rentals, and I've never waited more than 5 minutes for a lane. Usually I get a lane as soon as I walk in. Heritage in Frederick is also miles above those two ranges, I just prefer Machinegun Nest.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    My solution is to go to msar during the week right when they open. I often have the range to myself for an hour or so before others trickle in.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    OP, where are you located? If you're in the area, you might want to consider the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club. It's a members-only club but in my experience it's well worth the investment. Pistol ranges, rifle ranges, archery - all available and shoot all you want all year long with your own ammo. Unlimited range usage for one flat fee. It's rare when you have to wait. Just in case I always bring a couple of different types of firearms so I can move to a different range if one is full. But really, most of the time there's little to no wait and many times I've had the entire property to myself (especially if you go during the weekday).

I like you went to MSAR and saw pretty much the same thing you did. It was OK; it had pros & cons. I shot there many times. But when I found Berwyn I knew I could do better. They do have open slots available if you're interested. And it's not too far from MSAR.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I know there are varying opinions on MSAR from looking through the old threads but I thought it was a decent range although a bit weird in that:

2. The carriers are set really really low for the rifle lanes. Like if you are not shooting sitting down, then you're basically going to hit the ground because of the angle.

YES! I'm a tall guy 6'5' and when I first went to NRA in fairfax the range officer had me target head shots because otherwise he said I might be shooting the floor. Made sense to me. MSAR? Even with head shots, the carriers are so damn low that I think there is a good chance I would be shooting the floor. It made me very uncomfortable and I didn't stay very long :tdown:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I would definitely like to go there to shoot someday, but with the opening of TMGN, the incentive to drive that far is not very strong. Maybe I'll go there on a Saturday when I have nothing else going one. I've heard lots of good things about the NRA range, so it would be fun to go there sometime just to check out the range and the museum.

Cal68

I go to the NRA Range 3-4x per year. The café is almost worth the trip alone and it's really not that bad of a drive if you keep peak traffic times in mind. I love taking my out-of-state friends there and to the museum for a day trip from Frederick. Good times!

If you go on a Saturday, plan to get there early. Otherwise, you'll be in for a long wait for a lane opening. Every NRA member should make the pilgrimage at least once! :thumbsup:

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    Haven't been to MSAR in years, do they still have bullet holes in the partitions and ceilings?

MSAR moved a couple of years ago. I only shot there once on the LEO side. The old place had a scary number of holes in the wrong places. I shot at the new place once about a year ago. I didn't see any safety issues while I was there but I was only there a couple of hours and business was slow.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I've been to the new place a couple of times, both during the week and only a few other people there. It was fine. Staff was not effusive, but did their job and seemed to know what they were doing. I was a little surprised by the lack of safety orientation, but didn't see anything that concerned me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nah. Location #4 hasn't been in service long enough to collect as many stray bullet holes as #3.
    But I suppose if you calculate the total rounds fired each lane, the stray ones are a very small percentage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom