Votes: 2 4.8%
    • If it starts with ".22" it better end with "3"

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have to say that the Critters match at MPC (Frederick) would fit the bill. They use scaled targets out to a max of 40 yards and juniors get to shoot from a rest unlike adults who shoot free-standing. They also do the NRA Winchester Qualification series with scaled targets including benchrest and 3-position.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Berwyn Rod & Gun Club in Bowie, MD, will be holding a CMP-sanctioned Rimfire Sporter event on Sunday, July 17, 2016, at 10 AM with registration starting at 9:30 AM (the gate will be open at that time). We are expecting to run at least two consecutive relays.

Please let me know if you would prefer to shoot in the later relay, approximate start time 11:30 AM.

To compete under CMP guidelines, competitors should have a CMP competitors ID. All competitors must have a notarized "Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Agreement" on file at BRGC. A Notary may be available during match registration.

Inquiries should be directed to publicevents@berwyn.org.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Berwyn Rod & Gun Club in Bowie, MD, will be holding a CMP-sanctioned Rimfire Sporter event on Sunday, October 23, 2016, at 10 AM with registration starting at 9:30 AM (the gate will be open at that time). We are expecting to run at least two consecutive relays.

CMP Rimfire Sporter Events use the guidelines established by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Rules regarding these events are located here: CMPGamesRules.pdf and CMPRimfireSporterGuide.pdf.

Briefly, the course of fire includes shooting sighters at 50 yards, then 10 rounds fired both slow and rapid fire each from prone and sitting/kneeling at 50 yards. Finally with 10 rounds fired both slow and rapid fire from the standing or offhand position at 25 yards.

Please let me know if you would prefer to shoot in the later relay, approximate start time 11:30 AM-12 Noon.

To compete under CMP guidelines, competitors should have a CMP competitors ID. All competitors must have a notarized "Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Agreement" on file at BRGC. A Notary will be available during match registration at no cost to the participants. There is a range fee of $10 for non-members.

Inquiries should be directed to publicevents@berwyn.org.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    So I've been looking to get into competitive shooting... something I can do cheaply with my daughter (15) that reinforces the skills she's picked up at Appleseeds.

Did a quick search of ranges in the area that hold CMP rimfire. It looks like Berwyn used to, but nothing on the schedule now (although the AGC calendar search is rather useless). There's a range in Thurmont that has them, but that's a bit of a haul.

My club at the AGC has been talking about doing something that marries .22 and accuracy. How many people here would be interested in such an event? Or am I missing one already being held in the area?

We've had three CMP Rimfire Sporter events at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club since July. All of these events are open to the public and I've been posting them here as well.

We had a good turnout for our first event in July but the two events since then have been attended by the core group that is will to travel all over the state to attend such events. A great group of folks there.

There just doesn't seem to be much interest in Maryland for this, but I'm going to keep running them because I believe these are just great events and great fun to shoot. I'll crank them up again in the Spring.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    There just doesn't seem to be much interest in Maryland for this, but I'm going to keep running them because I believe these are just great events and great fun to shoot. I'll crank them up again in the Spring.

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

I didn't make it to any of your shoots this year but I'd definitely like to take my daughter next year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    CMP has two classifications, scoped or irons, so you compete in your class. Same targets and rules.

Peep apertures used to be classified as scopes, now I think there's some flexibility.

Peeps are classified as scopes under CMP rules. But enough peeps show up, you can run a separate class.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That is the point really. Like most sporting events I have competed in since high school, if there are classes based on performance potential (which this is) and a class has an insufficient number to constitute a minimum class those competitors have to be put in the next higher class not the next lower if they want to compete. And trust me the Tech or peep sights are as much above regular open sights as optics are above them. It means good shooters can do respectable in the next higher class but it doesn't mean they can win.

Bombguy

Jul 26, 2016
    Except that your web page says that you allow .17HMR to shoot alongside the .22LRs. How does that work out? Do the .17s beat the .22s out every time?

Bombguy

Jul 26, 2016
    I have been looking at you clubs web page and havent seen anything for 2017 yet. Are y'all still planning on running the Rimfire Sporters in 2017?

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Last edited:

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    The next scheduled event will be on Saturday, April 15, 2017, with registration to start at 9 AM.
    As before, we are planning to run at least 2 relays so long was we have enough shooters (9 per relay is the maximum). We could do a third if we had enough interested shooters. I wouldn't want anyone to go home without having the chance to shoot.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Are you planning on having more matches this year?
    I have been looking into this but so far your matches aren't working with my work schedule

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Sounds like the OP might be interested in the NRA/Winchester Program or the Critters match at MPC. If he knew a member there he and his daughter could shoot as a guest.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAF&G) is running CPM EIC matches for .22 and Service Pistol.
    Iron sights, matches on 4/22, 5/20, 6/24, 9/09, and 10/28. First shot downrange 10:00 AM, get there early!!
    Matches are popular, 24 positions, so sign up early.....

For all details.

R

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Are you planning on having more matches this year?
    I have been looking into this but so far your matches aren't working with my work schedule

Yes, we are. I'll be scheduling dates for the second half of 2017 after making sure that they don't conflict with the events at Thurmont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom