• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Dell puts the Windows key sticker on the outside of the machine. Unfortunately the key does not usually work with a standard OEM disk, or I would loan you mine. A lot of manufacturers lame out these days and "let you" burn your own recovery disks when you get the new system.

that's what I had to do with one I just bought and they give no literature. You have to download and save it or print it out on your paper

do you have an external hard drive with a usb connector. If so, try the F12 thing, then back it up

I wouldn't trust or keep the old hard drive thereafter

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    that's what I had to do with one I just bought and they give no literature. You have to download and save it or print it out on your paper

do you have an external hard drive with a usb connector. If so, try the F12 thing, then back it up

I wouldn't trust or keep the old hard drive thereafter

:thumbsup: also GIYF..
    or boot it off of a thumb drive.. I have several boot disks / recovery disks if you want to transfer stuff, or if you have another computer, yank the drive out, I have a external "docking station" where you can drop 2 drives in them whether 2.5" or 3.5", have used them to move data, clone drives, etc, USB connection.

-Rock

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    or boot it off of a thumb drive.. I have several boot disks / recovery disks if you want to transfer stuff, or if you have another computer, yank the drive out, I have a external "docking station" where you can drop 2 drives in them whether 2.5" or 3.5", have used them to move data, clone drives, etc, USB connection.

-Rock

good point - you could probably use just use a plug in SD card if you're only going to save documents and pictures, that's all I save - the rest of that crap, I can replace off the innerweb or disks and it's a good time to clean out some junk programs

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

-Rock

good point - you could probably use just use a plug in SD card if you're only going to save documents and pictures, that's all I save - the rest of that crap, I can replace off the innerweb or disks and it's a good time to clean out some junk programs

Trouble with cloning the image is if there's a bad boot sector , MBR, and/or other bad disk locations/sectors you're just cloning bad data. Cloning does not correct from failed locations.

If I remember correctly most of the major hard disk manufacturers have hard drive repair disk images available on their web sites for free download.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Thanks all for your input.
    The system is a little older than I thought, I found the original paperwork and CDs for OS. I will install a new hard drive, load the old OS, and hopefully get some new anti virus and malware software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom