• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    You have a few options.

Chances are, as indicated, your HDD is toast. Go to pick up a new one on Amazon. They are dirt cheap these days. Replace your HDD and reload your OS, which I would imagine is windows.

Do you happen to have a recovery partition? One thing that has been fairly mainstream over the last few years is for computer manufacturers to include a "recovery partition" on the HDD, which you would boot to if wanted to reinstall you OS. Sounds like your HDD is toast, so if that is what you have, you might have to try and obtain a physical copy for the OS media.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Before you do all that, you might want to run a quality antivirus on the HDD; a different one than you're running. You are running an antivirus package, aren't you?

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Before you do all that, you might want to run a quality antivirus on the HDD; a different one than you're running. You are running an antivirus package, aren't you?

He can't even get past post.

He would have to load up some kind of live CD or something or connet his HDD to another computer that is able to boot.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Micro Center is a chain with stores in Rockville and Towson. They put a new operating system on a new hard drive for not much more than the cost of a new operating system, not including the cost of the new HD. They did it in about 30 hours. I'm sure they can do data recovery as well.
    The backup recovery disc they tell you to make when you buy a new computer didn't work. If your HD starts intermittently sounding like a grandfather clock, back up your data as quick as you can.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Agreed I can get it to boot on safe mode but not for long. The following screen shots:

He can't even get past post.

He would have to load up some kind of live CD or something or connet his HDD to another computer that is able to boot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 281

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    For the past decade or so there's been a protocol called SMART that monitors the status of select parameters (temperature, operating hours, bad sectors, data errors, etc.) on hard drives.

In this case, your computer is smart enough to realize a hard drive SMART parameter has gone awry but not smart enough to tell you which one and how bad. You'll need some sort of diagnostics tool to tell what's wrong. Linux has these built in, Windows needs special software, and you'll probably need one that runs off of a boot CD since it looks like the hard drive is about to become toast.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I would buy a solid state drive, install a fresh OS on it, and install antivirus software. Then set up the original drive as a secondary. I would try to pull the data off the old drive from there.

A solid state drive is a great upgrade.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Dell 2014 desk top tower computer on start up message "hard drive error" won't boot up. Zip 20758

Write down the model number and serial number of your system and go to MicroCenter and talk to the guys at the desk in the back of the store where they sell computer components, not the one at the front of the store, I am talking about the Rockville MicroCenter. They will hook you up with a disk drive that you can replace the failed one in your system. Your system may be new enough where windows will install, if not you will need to get a new Windows key from Microsoft, not Dell.

I had a similar problem where the disk crashed and I had to replace it and reinstall everything. Since the system was a couple of years old I had to purchase a new key for Windows 7 in order to install it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    What Traveler said.

Call Dell and get them to send you a clean drive with the OS on it, if they can. Usually they will still have the image for that model- if it is not too old. Then place in and boot. Connect your original drive as a secondary- after putting antivirus on the new primary. Scan the secondary and try to get any data off. If you can get the original drive booted, download something like Belarc to run on the drive. This will tell you everything about your computer, including the important original keys for the software you have installed, like Office, etc. Write those down and reinstall the apps with the captured CD keys.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Dell puts the Windows key sticker on the outside of the machine. Unfortunately the key does not usually work with a standard OEM disk, or I would loan you mine. A lot of manufacturers lame out these days and "let you" burn your own recovery disks when you get the new system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom