House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    SB 946 (The Senate version) passed 3rd reader by a vote of 27 - 20, and is heavily amended compared to the House bill.

Here is the voting record: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...b=subject3&id=sb0946,s-0798&stab=02&ys=2017RS

Now comes the fun part... The House bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the Senate. The Senate Bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the House.

For the House Bill, if it makes it out of committee and is amended in anyway in committee or during the floor vote (if it makes it that far) it then need to go back to the House for approval of the amendments. If the House does not accept the Amendments, then the bill has to go to conference committee to have the changes worked out. If it makes it out of conference committee then it has to pass a vote in both the House and Senate (again).

For the Senate bill - Same prices as above, just change "House" above to "Senate"

In order for either bill to make it to the Governors desk and for him to even consider a VETO, either bill has to make through the above process. Could it happen? Yep. Will it happen? I give it 40/60 of making out before sine die.

The bills are so radically different it is hard to see a place for splitting this baby But it's a priority with the leadership so someone will have to give in the next 3 weeks. Love to be a fly on the wall

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The bills are so radically different it is hard to see a place for splitting this baby But it's a priority with the leadership so someone will have to give in the next 3 weeks. Love to be a fly on the wall

Last year they tried to stuff it into another bill on sine die, remember, no bill is ever dead until the end of sine die.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    SB 946 (The Senate version) passed 3rd reader by a vote of 27 - 20, and is heavily amended compared to the House bill.

Here is the voting record: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...b=subject3&id=sb0946,s-0798&stab=02&ys=2017RS

Now comes the fun part... The House bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the Senate. The Senate Bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the House.

For the House Bill, if it makes it out of committee and is amended in anyway in committee or during the floor vote (if it makes it that far) it then need to go back to the House for approval of the amendments. If the House does not accept the Amendments, then the bill has to go to conference committee to have the changes worked out. If it makes it out of conference committee then it has to pass a vote in both the House and Senate (again).

For the Senate bill - Same prices as above, just change "House" above to "Senate"

In order for either bill to make it to the Governors desk and for him to even consider a VETO, either bill has to make through the above process. Could it happen? Yep. Will it happen? I give it 40/60 of making out before sine die.

Nice to see old Bagel Works Benedict Brochin up to his old tricks.

If push comes to shove on a veto override, I always expect Middleton to fold first. He's a weasel. DeGrange is the other likely flip as soon as the squeeze gets put on.

Ron Young continues to be a disgrace to Frederick County and Maryland.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Thanks for the update Dan. I already wrote my reps early on in this process. Might be a good idea to write them again about this POS bill.

It really boggles my mind that they think something like this will really reduce gun violence by criminals and make campuses a safer place.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for the update Dan. I already wrote my reps early on in this process. Might be a good idea to write them again about this POS bill.

It really boggles my mind that they think something like this will really reduce gun violence by criminals and make campuses a safer place.

They don't. The amount of watering down tells you they just want something.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Never forget their only goal. Neither they nor their owners (Bloomturd, Soros, etc.) will settle for anything less.

There are multiple motivations going on in the MGA. Yes, there are True Believer antis who urgently want to prevent guns in all forms. There are also people like the current MGA leadership who simply want to maintain power. The leadership will support, or at least tolerate, bills that they feel will maintain that power base.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Never forget their only goal. Neither they nor their owners (Bloomturd, Soros, etc.) will settle for anything less.

It won't even reduce the number of guns out there. It will just reduce the number of free gun owners (i.e., more gun owners will end up behind bars). Honestly, I think everybody in Baltimore City should be allowed to carry, period. Living in Baltimore City is like living in a war zone. I repressed the memory of going into the city back in January or so to have my driveshaft balanced. I was going to write that I have not been to the city in years. Oh yeah, went there again in February to get some foam fixed for a Beretta case of mine. I hated both trips, but at least I was familiar enough with the neighborhoods. Parking and walking to the state office building SUCKS.

The minorities should be against gun control too. A lot of their youth end up incarcerated over it when a lot of their youth have to carry just to defend themselves from others in their neighborhoods.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are multiple motivations going on in the MGA. Yes, there are True Believer antis who urgently want to prevent guns in all forms. There are also people like the current MGA leadership who simply want to maintain power. The leadership will support, or at least tolerate, bills that they feel will maintain that power base.

How can true antis even think gun control will work? Drug control did not work. Alcohol a la Prohibition did not work. Trying to do stuff like this just fosters a police state and the reduction of freedom and liberty.

I think that is what really boggles my mind. People that are anti drug and anti gun, just have no idea how the world works. They have no idea how human nature works. It will not be until the machines rule and we are all under a yoke, that complete drug control, alcohol control, and gun control will be possible, and even then......

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    They have no idea how human nature works. It will not be until the machines rule and we are all under a yoke, that complete drug control, alcohol control, and gun control will be possible, and even then......

Shades of SkyNet...

:sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hb159 has passed 2nd reader with Amendments from the Senate Judiciary.
    There's now a civil penalty instead of a criminal one.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=HB0159&stab=01&ys=2017RS
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/amds/bil_0009/hb0159_22837301.pdf

Still sucks taint, but a civil penalty, especially considering the confusion over what is and isn't university property, etc. is one hell of a lot more reasonable than up to 3 years in prison.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Still sucks taint, but a civil penalty, especially considering the confusion over what is and isn't university property, etc. is one hell of a lot more reasonable than up to 3 years in prison.

That amendment still has to survive the House, since the House version made it a misdemeanor.

So, what now?

3rd reader in Senate
    Sent to House
    House either approves the Senate version, or it doesn't.
    (If it does, the bill goes to the Governor)
    (If it does not approve of the Senate version, either in whole or in part, there will be a conference committee between the House and the Senate.)
    Conference Committee
    New bill hammered out
    New bill sent to both House and Senate
    Both houses vote on new bill.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That amendment still has to survive the House, since the House version made it a misdemeanor.

So, what now?

3rd reader in Senate
    Sent to House
    House either approves the Senate version, or it doesn't.
    (If it does, the bill goes to the Governor)
    (If it does not approve of the Senate version, either in whole or in part, there will be a conference committee between the House and the Senate.)
    Conference Committee
    New bill hammered out
    New bill sent to both House and Senate
    Both houses vote on new bill.

Here's to a bunch of not seeing eye to eye until the clock strikes 00:00 on April 11.

Silent Partner

Nov 18, 2015
    The Hereford Zone
    There is nothing reasonable about this bill or it's penalties. Instead of restricting firearms they should be promoted. I'll get thrown out of the balcony on 4-10 if this thing even comes close to passing.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Silent Partner: Do you know if you will face a civil infraction or criminal sanction being thrown out.

Hmmm....sounds like the "Criminals Love Campus Gun Bans" bill.

Silent Partner

Nov 18, 2015
    The Hereford Zone
    Silent Partner: Do you know if you will face a civil infraction or criminal sanction being thrown out.

Hmmm....sounds like the "Criminals Love Campus Gun Bans" bill.
    I'll have to check w counsel and their penalties.
    Currently reviewing the Kamenetz E.O. for violation of USC 1324 I'd love to bounce this guy, I knew we were in trouble when his spoken person Julie Sugar advocated based on getting Dulaney HS (my school) air conditioning. ***** then ***** now.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have a feeling unfortunately it will pass w/ the civil penalties. It appeases all the leftist groups that way and the majority doesn't care about anyone else. Will Hogan veto it? Who knows.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I was out there at lunch hour today and caught a lot of "page views" on the sidewalk.

Folks we need a good showing on Monday at Lawyer's Mall!

Enough blathering on the threads. Hits the Bricks!

Attachments

• IMG_7068.jpg
      IMG_7068.jpg
      124.7 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads