• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If someone told me tomorrow that I had to choose one other country in the world to live, it would probably be Finland. Their enthusiasm for the shooting sports is only matched by their passion for building some of the finest firearms I have either used or owned. Anywhere that can claim to be the home of Sako and Steve n' Seagulls has gotta be my kinda place. Ain't no doubt.

2016 Big Bore Pistol championship held at SSG shooting range in Sipoo Finland, 8/6/2016.

]

Considering that, it's not surprising to learn that Finland is also home to some of the top IHMSA competitors in the world. I like the video because it shows what the average Big Bore match looks like. You see shooters using both Creedmore and standing positions and receiving feedback from their spotters. Nice range, huh?

I'm not a Creedmore guy. I could never get comfortable enough to shoot well from that position so I prefer to either stand or sit. The real challenge is to not rush shots. I'll knock down two pigs in a row and then rush the next three shots...and miss two of them. The best shooters take their time and have a routine that works within the two minutes allotted to engage five targets.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    5 more weeks! Mark your calendars now and plan to join us Sunday, April 9th for the first IHMSA Big Bore and Half Scale match of the 2017 season at Piedmont Sportsman's Club in Gordonsville, VA.

Match starts at 9:00am. Any questions? Contact Match Director, Mike Graves at either, 540-661-9539 or e-mail, g2contender@yahoo.com

This is an older video but it'll show those interested the difference between a Big Bore and Half Scale IHMSA match.

I'll be shooting .44 revolvers for both matches since I don't own an Unlimited pistol (yet) but, whatever you bring be prepared to learn a lot and enjoy a day in the company of fellow shooters. If anyone is interested in carpooling/convoying from the Frederick-area to Gordonsville (straight drive down 15S), PM me and we'll set something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom