• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Not the only reason we will be leaving when I retire but it is one of the many. County has an overabundance of liquor stores and tatoo parlors but for much else it is over the bridge or head northbound.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    County has an overabundance of liquor stores

Saint Mary's County has a rich abundant history in booze. Not just liquor stores, look at the bar scene as well. We have a lot when you think about it. Some of the stories I've heard from the Dyson's during the prohibition years have been pretty interesting. There are a lot of families in the area that made a good bit of money off of prohibition.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Hello! I just heard about this thread.

Nope, not a rumor. :) We (Cindi and I ) are in the planning stages of building an indoor range. We are almost a year into the project and we are now in the "Planning and Zoning " stage. Our public hearing is set for 9 Feb.

This will be a membership based range. All may join! There will be an indoc of sorts but think of it as equivalent to a gym membership. Our number one priority will always be SAFETY! We hope to educate, train and just have fun!

There will be more to follow as things progress.

Steve

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD

Nope, not a rumor. :) We (Cindi and I ) are in the planning stages of building an indoor range. We are almost a year into the project and we are now in the "Planning and Zoning " stage. Our public hearing is set for 9 Feb.

This will be a membership based range. All may join! There will be an indoc of sorts but think of it as equivalent to a gym membership. Our number one priority will always be SAFETY! We hope to educate, train and just have fun!

Steve

Just wanna wish you and Cindi great luck in this endeavor!
    Lord knows we need a range down here! I hate looking at all the sad faces we get at the shop when we let them know the closest public ranges are an hour or more away!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Steve

Great ! Good luck with that venture.

Will this be county zoning or Leonardtown ? Do you need a variance or is a shooting range already and approved use under the zoning for your property ?

Keep us updated on the hearing or if you get any feedback from planning and land-use staff. If there is any public comments period during the hearing, its a good thing to have well prepared 'pro' commenters who can fill up the sign-up sheet.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Great ! Good luck with that venture.

Will this be county zoning or Leonardtown ? Do you need a variance or is a shooting range already and approved use under the zoning for your property ?

Keep us updated on the hearing or if you get any feedback from planning and land-use staff. If there is any public comments period during the hearing, its a good thing to have well prepared 'pro' commenters who can fill up the sign-up sheet.

County - we are south of NAS Pax.

This meeting will be with the Board of Appeals for the use and size of the building. When they grant approval we will need to go to the Planning Commission for Concept Site Plan approval. Once we receive that we will be able to move forward with the actual site design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom