• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    A buddy of mine recently picked up a T/C Prohunter .50 cal muzzleloader. Sweet, sweet gun. Came outfitted with a fairly decent Vortex 3X9 scope that they claimed was bore sighted at 100 yards before leaving the factory.

We took it to the farm yesterday for a test drive and he is sadly disappointed. Shooting at a target roughly 2' X 2.5' we could not even hit the paper. Shooting off of a lead sled so no human error factor. I've been shooting the T/C Encore (early model) for years and never had a problem so it's not like I don't know how this works.

He is using 2 pellets of White Hots (I had never heard of them), 777 primers and good Hornady bullets.

Shot several rounds at 50 yards and 1 at 100 and none hit the paper. Ran low on time and did not want to waste a bunch more powder/rounds without trying to figure out what is going on.

Thoughts?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Start out with a simple bore sighting by placing a target out at 50-100yds, remove the breech plug, mount the rifle in the rest and sight the target through the bore of the rifle and get it lined up. Now, without disturbing the rifle, carefully peer through the scope and see what it's looking at.. adjust it til it's looking at the target center and make your first shots at 25yds instead of 50-100. It should get you close!

Also be sure the scope is mounted solidly to the rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What Sticky said and to add, try a small target on a dirt berm(if you have one) so you can see 'splash' when he misses. That usually works for me.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Start out with a simple bore sighting by placing a target out at 50-100yds, remove the breech plug, mount the rifle in the rest and sight the target through the bore of the rifle and get it lined up. Now, without disturbing the rifle, carefully peer through the scope and see what it's looking at.. adjust it til it's looking at the target center and make your first shots at 25yds instead of 50-100. It should get you close!

Also be sure the scope is mounted solidly to the rifle.

Yep, did that and it was actually pretty close, which is why this is puzzling.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    What Sticky said and to add, try a small target on a dirt berm(if you have one) so you can see 'splash' when he misses. That usually works for me.

Unfortunately, we don't have the berm option. Our backstop is a heavily overgrown area at the far end of a field that is piled high and deep with cut trees, bushes, etc. No opportunity for the splash.

His local range is probably a better option for this so he'll have to try that.

Appreciate the input.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    FWIW, I always start out sighting in a new weapon or optic at 25yds. It just makes things easier, uses less ammo to try to 'find' the target at a greater distance. I don't have a boresighter, but every rifle I have bore sighted as I described earlier and started at 25yds was at least on paper, like a notebook size paper. A larger target back or move closer would work. ;)

Get it dialed in at 25 and back off to 100 and you should still be on paper.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What is the recommended load that came with the rifle? Start there because if it was factory zeroed (no telling what bumps it got in shipping) it was zeroed with the factory recommended load. White hots may or may not have the same ballistics.

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    My home built hawkins will not shoot new powder. It only "groups" with black powder. I have tried pellets and others. I don't know why but it shoots 2 inch groups with ffg.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My home built hawkins will not shoot new powder. It only "groups" with black powder. I have tried pellets and others. I don't know why but it shoots 2 inch groups with ffg.

Pretty much all 'new' powders require 209 primers for consistent ignition.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had a similar issue when I got my muzzle loader. I'd get on paper then nothing. I thought I had it ok, I wasn't expecting .5" at 100yds but 2-3" at 50yds. I took it hunting and missed a doe at 30yds. The bullet went right between the legs and left a crater in the mud. I couldn't believe how off I was. I thought it was me, it turned out the sabots I were shooting were junk, Knights from Wal-Mart. I also switched from the pellets to powder to get intermediate charges. I can't remember the powder but I'm using 120gr and the Barnes sabots. They fit much tighter and give me much better accuracy. My father just bought Federal Premium Trophy Copper Muzzleloading Bullets and he loves them. Try some different loads/bullets and find one that works.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been loading my Encore with three 50gn. pellets of 777 and Winchester 209 primers pushing 250gn Shockwave Yellow Tip sabots. I will not change anytime soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Part of the joy of muzzleloaders is having lots of options in each variable to work up best/ favorite load.

For large part of the frustrations of muzzleloaders, see above. Different powder/ pellets. Different primer/ cap. Different sabot. Different sub cal bullet. Not use sabot, use conical. Not use sabot, use round ball. Hunting suitable loads of ball, conical, sabot will all have very different poi, in addition to what the rifle will/ won't group.

That said, sneak up close to start sight in , 25yd or even 15yd, then move back sequentially.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been loading my Encore with three 50gn. pellets of 777 and Winchester 209 primers pushing 250gn Shockwave Yellow Tip sabots. I will not change anytime soon.

You find what it and you likes and stick with it. My CVA Wolf seems to group best with 95gr of FFFg 777. With ghost ring sights about 3 inches at 100yds tending to string them a little (about a 2.5" high and 1" wide group). I am sure with a scope I could cut the group size in half.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You find what it and you likes and stick with it. My CVA Wolf seems to group best with 95gr of FFFg 777. With ghost ring sights about 3 inches at 100yds tending to string them a little (about a 2.5" high and 1" wide group). I am sure with a scope I could cut the group size in half.

But with muzzle loaders sometimes what you like and what it likes are two different things. You may like easy loading pellets and it likes powder. You may like an easy clean substitute propellant and it likes Holy Black made by the Swiss. You may like sabots with jacketed hollow points and it likes Cast modern Minnie's with tumble lube.

You have a whole lot of variables to try before you blame the gun. Part of the joy of shooting smoke poles, if you wanted easy you should stick with modern cartridge arms.

Now if you are looking for a challenge just add using a rock to make a spark to start the process. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Not to start an open sight/scope pissing match, but I think scopes remove a lot of the question marks when it comes to accuracy in a rifle.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Now if you are looking for a challenge just add using a rock to make a spark to start the process. :D

Ah, but that simplifies things a lot. Real black powder (none of those wretched substitutes), bullet selection is driven by rifling turn rate (bet on PRB shooting best unless it's a dedicated bullet rifle), pick a reasonable round ball and patch to fit.

All that's left is the powder charge. And maybe the granulation, but 3F works OK in everything I've ever shot. Maybe not perfectly (I use 4F for some pistol loads), but acceptably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom