• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've never really had great success with 9mm case gauges due to the very different throat specs in my barrels (LWD = basically none, JP = generous, others = somewhere in between). I've had many rounds easily pass the case gauge and then not actually chamber in my gun. I use a spare 9mm barrel at this point to plunk test. I had similar problems with my 223 and 308 case gauges; ammo would pass, but it would fail to work in semi-autos... that forced me over to SB dies.

As for stocking up beforehand, the plausibility of that really depends on your volume. I shoot a LOT of 9mm and 223 in a year. Stocking up only goes so far. Plus, in MD, you're limited on how much powder you can have on hand (sketchy legal hacks notwithstanding), so this idea that you're gonna go out and buy a hundred pounds of TiteGroup and CFE 223 is a little unrealistic. I buy up to my limit on powder, and then try to roll deep on primers. Brass and lead tend not to be so hard to acquire.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I've never really had great success with 9mm case gauges due to the very different throat specs in my barrels (LWD = basically none, JP = generous, others = somewhere in between). I've had many rounds easily pass the case gauge and then not actually chamber in my gun. I use a spare 9mm barrel at this point to plunk test. I had similar problems with my 223 and 308 case gauges; ammo would pass, but it would fail to work in semi-autos... that forced me over to SB dies.

As for stocking up beforehand, the plausibility of that really depends on your volume. I shoot a LOT of 9mm and 223 in a year. Stocking up only goes so far. Plus, in MD, you're limited on how much powder you can have on hand (sketchy legal hacks notwithstanding), so this idea that you're gonna go out and buy a hundred pounds of TiteGroup and CFE 223 is a little unrealistic. I buy up to my limit on powder, and then try to roll deep on primers. Brass and lead tend not to be so hard to acquire.

I’m deep in primers. Every session at the loading bench is a learning experience. I also am experiencing rounds that have been “sized” but don’t easily drop into the my gauge.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Sorry for the delay, finally got around to pulling out the box:

Attachments

• HarcoReloading.PNG
      HarcoReloading.PNG
      7.3 KB · Views: 277

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    So I just finished my first AR 15 pistol build, 8.5" 300 Blkout. I want to shoot subsonic and have plenty of powder and primer but can't find any 200+ grain bullets anywhere. I realize there is a pandemic going on and the riots didn't help either but nobody has anything in stock.

Does anybody's crystal ball have any idea when stock will return? I really don't want to wait until my can arrives.

I use "ammoseek.com". Vendors pay to have their stuff listed there and inventory is checked when you search. can filter for "in stock" and by price. cant go wrong imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom